Island Hopping..





My brother in law, Al, just passed away Thursday after a short stay at the hospital in Denver...



I will be taking some time from blogging, tho this post was pre scheduled to publish today [Saturday] ---I will have no other postings until after the bereavement time I plan on taking. Keep in touch...I will let y'all know when I return via my personal blog at HOOTIN' ANNI'S


THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KINDNESS - IT'S MUCH APPRECIATED ~Anni


The past weekend, on Sunday, I drove to the islands in search of the elusive Aplomado Falcon [see my right sidebar - top widget]. A few years back, several of these were released on Mustang Island where once they flourished. With the loss of habitat by the invasion of architectural construction and human habitation along the beaches, the falcons slowly disappeared and have now been reintroduced in hopes of a comeback. Several people I know that frequent the islands have spotted them...but so far, for me, the quest has not been filled. I will continue in hopes of seeing one to add to my list of photographed birds in Texas. In the meantime, I travel the highways and beaches along the sand dunes and always end my trip in Port Aransas...a small fishing village and tourist area. These are some I spotted:


AMERICAN WIDGEON [variant sp: Wigeon]
photo taken: Leonabelle Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Widgeon

BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON [immature]
photo taken: Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Night Heron

CINNAMON TEAL
photo taken: Leonabelle Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Cinnamon Teal

GREEN WINGED TEAL
photo taken: Leonabelle Birdin Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Teal


GREAT KISKADEE
photo taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Kiskadee


LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Shrike


NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD
photo taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Mockingbird


CASPIAN TERN
photo taken: Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Tern


TRI COLORED HERON
photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Heron


YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER [Myrtle Species]
photo taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Myrtle
Note: There are two subspecies of the Yellow Rumped Warbler - The Myrtle mostly in the south/east USA. The difference in marking: White Throat. The Audubon is the western counterpart of the Myrtle; with a yellow throat!  Read more here.



For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:




or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



Now share your birding experiences:




23 comments:

  1. Anni, I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you and your sister and her family..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, Anni. You'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Anni, I am so very sorry. I truly was very concerned for him and this is quite distressing to read. May you find comfort, strength and peace in all of the love that remains. Lifting up prayer thoughts for you and your sister and family~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Night Heron, so beautiful! The Green Winged Teal is exquisite! The way you have captured the teal in the wing and the face is gorgeous. Again, I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. take care of yourself and yoour family. Thanks for hosting the meme despite everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. thanks for sharing the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos of the birds. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

    Blogger won't let me use my WordPress ID with these settings. Teresa @ Eden Hills

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your brother-in-law Anni. We just lost a dear uncle this morning but he lived far from us and we won't be attending the funeral. Still, it was sad news. Take the time you need. Loved your photos. So sorry you still have not seen the falcon you were hoping to see. We went to Coachline Lake today and hoped to see the snow geese but they were on the other side of the lake. I am posting my vermilion flycatchers from this birding jaunt on your next week's Bird d'Pot. God bless you and your family. Look forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to read of the loss of your brother-in-law, Al. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

    Thanks for hosting this delightful meme despite this sad circumstance.

    Take care
    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are sad times for you and your family so I will be thinking about you all. This is a beautiful pot of many lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni, your shots are so gorgeous !
    I am so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear the sad news, Anni. I hope you and your family get through this tough time ok.

    Some lovely bird shots in here, that Green-winged Teal is stunning and the Shrike is so handsome.

    I didn't know you get Caspian Terns in the USA - they are common here in Australia also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni, thinking of you. May you have peace at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, Anni. May he rest in peace.

    I did enjoy your amazing bird shots. I've only seen one Shrike though I feel sure I've heard them a few times. Wonderful capture!

    I'll be keeping you and your family in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. texas sure does have a lot of pretty birds, you photographed them beautifully!!! i am truly sorry for your loss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You and your family are very much in my thoughts Anni. Such a sad time for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My deepest condolences to you and your family. Be with your family and don't even think about the blog. The images you shared are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear about you BIL but thank you for sharing such AMAZING bird photos to tide us over. They are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm very sorry to read your sad news, Anni. Please accept my condolences for the loss of your loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful to see all these different vogels.Mooie colors, beautiful feathers suits and great to see. I will next time again places birds.

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really nice photos! I'm sad to read about your brother in law. Best wishes to all.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents