Happy Valentine's Day!! And in viewing this post of our day, if you are interested in the area of which we visited the Cranes...I posted about it on my personal blog, HERE at Goose Island
WHOOPING CRANE & SANDHILL CRANE
photos taken: Goose Island State Park - Lamar, Texas
habitat map: Whooping Crane - Sandhill Crane
BLACK SKIMMERS
photos taken - From Fishing Pier: Goose Island State Park - Lamar, Texas
habitat map: Black Skimmer










For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now share your birding experiences:
![]() |
| White Tailed Hawk |
Seen along the highway with nowhere to pull off the road in safety, we spotted a half dozen hawks perched on various power poles, all but one I believe were White Tailed. The other one flew off its perch too quickly to i d. Last Saturday, early, and driving through heavy, patchy, fog for a while along the divided highway between home and a small town of Rockport, Texas, Bud and I wanted to get to the local area near Lamar Pennisula
- @ Goose Island State Park - which is surrounded by Copano Bay waters and small inlets. We wanted to be there before this month ended. Why? 'Cause few of the visiting winter Whooping Cranes are spotted in this section of the state. Tho very few over the years, it beats the heck outta driving to the Reserve many more miles to the north of the State Park and eventually a rough 'cow pasture road' to traverse. LOL They come here from their migration path in the Fall and normally leave to head back to their breeding grounds up north around March to mid-March.
- @ Goose Island State Park - which is surrounded by Copano Bay waters and small inlets. We wanted to be there before this month ended. Why? 'Cause few of the visiting winter Whooping Cranes are spotted in this section of the state. Tho very few over the years, it beats the heck outta driving to the Reserve many more miles to the north of the State Park and eventually a rough 'cow pasture road' to traverse. LOL They come here from their migration path in the Fall and normally leave to head back to their breeding grounds up north around March to mid-March.This year, surprisingly, there were more than last year. In this particular spot last year, there were three. A couple and their offspring. This last weekend we counted nine. At first, upon arriving, there were five...but four more flew in while we were watching them and getting photos. The three that were here last year, I believe, returned to the same spot!!! The juvenile that was really rusty in color last year was showing signs of becoming an adult!! I'm pleased as punch!!
Along with the whooping cranes, there were grackles, vultures, sandhill cranes, and one lone great blue heron in the field! [Along with a lot of cattle]. I became snap happy with the camera's shutter. As always. But I promise to keep the images to a bare minimum...
WHOOPING CRANE & SANDHILL CRANE
photos taken: Goose Island State Park - Lamar, Texas
habitat map: Whooping Crane - Sandhill Crane
BLACK SKIMMERS
photos taken - From Fishing Pier: Goose Island State Park - Lamar, Texas
habitat map: Black Skimmer
We spent most of the morning viewing the cranes and driving over to the large fishing pier while we watched the anglers off the pier, the boaters, the shrimp boats and in the far distance, watching the construction of a new bridge that crosses the bay. Afterwards we paid our fee to enter the state park and hike along the Lantana Loop Trail. There, we spotted mockingbirds, vultures, downy woodpeckers and one nuthatch...which I didn't get a photo of 'cause my camera wasn't turned on, and by the time I had it primed and ready it had left the tree flying off to some unknown area. That'll teach me a lesson. Note to me: "Have the camera on...dummie!"










or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now share your birding experiences:

Neat shots of the whooping crane- I never get to see these birds. Have a good weekend, Anni!
ReplyDeleteFantastic birds, marvelous photographs Anni. I hope I get to see them one day.
ReplyDeletethe cranes are awesome!
ReplyDeleteAnni, I am impressed with your beautiful pictures of birds ! Just excellent shots !
ReplyDeleteHave a happy weekend :)
How exciting to see whooping cranes. I don't think I ever have. A great day in the field.
ReplyDeleteLOVED seeing your Whooping Crane photos! Have never seen one in person. We do get the Sandhills coming through here though.
ReplyDeleteWOW! These are stunning images of the Cranes Anni. Happy St Valentine's Day and have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeleteThe cranes are astounding, graceful and beautiful. You must have been beside yourself watching this! These tall birds are totally impressive! Did you hear them whop?
ReplyDeleteFabulous shots, Anni! What a wonderful birding adventure. We live near San Antonio and I've always wanted to drive down while the cranes are in town, lol. Would love to see them in real life! Someday...
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, I love the Whooping Cranes. awesome photos.. Thanks for hosting, happy Valentine's Day to you and yours..
ReplyDeleteNeat shots, Anni!
ReplyDeleteCool shots. Your Whooping Crane photos are quite spectacular.
ReplyDeleteI love this meme. Thanks for hosting.
I hope that you're life is beginning to return to normal now since your sudden, tragic loss. My thoughts remain with you. I know that it takes time to come to terms with these matters.
Take care.
Oops.... "you're" should be "your" of course in my previous comment.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful shots of the cranes. They are really impressive birds.
ReplyDeleteI love your photos. They are very surprisingly graceful ,those cranes! Thanks for sharing,Phyllis
ReplyDeleteGreat captures! Those cranes have an impressive wing span.
ReplyDeleteTeresa @ Eden Hills
Seeing a Whooping Crane would be an amazing thrill. Lovely pictures here.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos! Many many years ago when I was in school, I did a report on whooping cranes. We don't have any in Virginia but I was intrigued by their appearance. My mom was highly amused when I tried to imitate their call, which I had read was "Curlew, curlew!" She used to tease me about it!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting to see the cranes. Wonderful photos.
ReplyDeleteI love the cranes. I've only seen them when they fly over here. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots - I really like cranes, but we only get them much further north in Australia.
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Those Whooping Cranes are so impressive. We were lucky enough to have two immature cranes overfly their usual wintering grounds in north Florida and spend nearly two weeks in the wetlands right next to our home. One even entered the subdivision and was seen by our next door neighbor walking on a lawn down the street! Sadly,neither made it through the winter-- one injured her foot and had to be rehabbed and the other simply disappeared after being relocated north.They were captive-reared in Wisconsin and had been released to migrate south on their own with Sandhill Cranes.
ReplyDeleteThank you for spotting the wrong url I inserted by mistake. I am sorry for the extra work.
ReplyDeleteThe cranes are very lovely. But I find the hawk very cute. Raptors sometimes have their dinner served on the roads. I wish you a good week!
wonderful crane photos with lots of action
ReplyDeleteNow then Anni, seeing just one Whooping Crane would have me whooping for joy but to see nine and to witness such interaction would be simply wonderful.
ReplyDeleteLooking at that map and reading your description sounds as if you and Bud have lots of places to bird. Like you I suffer with not enough pull-off places alongside roads which are often good for birds. It can be quite a dangerous occupation being a birder and i often get hooted at for parking where I shouldn't. Who cares?
Thanks for hosting the weekend again. Take care.
beautiful photos of the cranes, magnificent birds
ReplyDeleteNice collection of crane photos. Happy Valentine's Day weekend. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove love the whooping cranes since we don't see those here. How fun!
ReplyDeleteTerrific shots of the Whooping Cranes and the Sandhill Cranes. I like the close up shot of the female Crane too, such a bright red crown. They are beautiful and very graceful birds especially when they open their wings.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great series of photos! I have only seen a few cranes - enjoyed your collection and info...
ReplyDeleteWow wow wow Anni!!! This is great news. I am so happy to hear about the growing numbers this year. I hope it's because their population is expanding again:) Like the Condors here, it is a very slow process, but both have numbers that are showing positive. Would love to see these birds out in the wild. How EPIC!!!
ReplyDeleteAmazing these cranes.
ReplyDeleteI can only see these beautiful cranes in an animal garden.
Greetings, Helma
interesting. I never heard of Whooping cranes before. At first I thought you made a mistake. :) Such a white crane. Looks really beutiful. And powerful too.
ReplyDelete