This is gonna be a busy post with a lot of photos, I'll try to not be too chatty...
The day was warm, damp and a dismal gray one. Not good lighting for photos. I spotted a new species that has been on my list for a few years! One species I never expected to see, but always hoped for luck. We were at Indian Point Park on the North Bay, between Corpus Christi and Portland, Texas. After walking on the boardwalk to the observation deck that is on the Corpus Christi side of the park, heading back to the car to leave, I decided to walk from the other side of the parking lot to a small jetty for fishermen. Here, there are usually oystercatchers on the rocks. This day, no oystercatchers. I only spotted a willet [shown above] foraging in the rock crevices for food. Then.......I saw some movement!! It surfaced in the waves!! A FIRST for me!
In its winter plumage, a Common Loon!!
After taking this above image, in all my excitement, the loon dived underwater to not re-surface for the longest time. Bud, then, spotted it way out in the bay. It was leaving the area where first seen. To really see it clearly now, we needed a scope. All too soon it completely disappeared from our eyesight/lens distance. I understand the guide books that the common loon is in our area only during the migrations passage to/from their breeding grounds in Canada/Alaska...
We then got back in the car and drove to the Portland side of the park. Here it changes its name from Indian Point to Sunset Lakes Park. Lots of pools and bay views! We walked the trail to the first observation platform and scouted the tidal pools. The first bird here was a stoic one...the great blue heron...
...still on the observation deck and our use of binoculars, I spotted another first. Well, not a first in species, but TWO of the same, together. And by the looks of the leg coloring and beak brightness, they were a couple. Perhaps coming into breeding plumage: one with vivid hot pink on the beak and bluer legs than normal.
...they kept busy! And the crown feathers and actions on this day were an added bonus for me...
As we continued to scout the area from the platform, we spotted another willet, a couple of black necked stilts, yellowlegs, long billed curlew, several sanderlings, plovers, amercian avocets, and snowy egrets.
All other Photos taken: Indian Point Park/Sunset Lakes Park - Corpus Christi/Portland, Texas
Now share your birding experiences:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:















Those crown feathers just cracked me up...especially how they lay back when he runs! Great shots!
ReplyDeleteAnni, your pictures are always excellent !
ReplyDeleteHow nice to see the bird with the hair on his head :)))
Have a happy weekend !
These are spectacular!!!! I would never have recognized the loon in winter plumage. To me, the Herons are the star of the show!! (these ARE herons, right?) I am loving all the poses you got them in, they are truly spectacular!!
ReplyDeleteI always feel lucky to see ONE Reddish Egret! That loon is a great find. Have never seen down in the south.
ReplyDeleteWe encountered a loon up north this summer while canoeing. It was almost impossible to photograph as he dived and resurfaced so far away.
ReplyDeleteOh well done on spotting the Loon Anni. I have never seen one, or for that matter a Great Blue Heron in the wild.They have spectacular plumage, but In the 3rd 4th and 5th shots one of them looks rather comical and made me smile,
ReplyDeleteAnni thank you for your offer of help, but I am going to try one more time to link up, if nothing happens, I would be glad of your assistance.:)
These are brilliant Anni.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, the Loon sighting is awesome. And I love the herons and the gorgeous Reddish Egrets. Wonderful birds and photos.. Thank you for hosting, have a great weekend!
ReplyDeletecongrats on the loon! love the reddish egrets!!!!
ReplyDeleteA great collection of birds, some I hadn't seen before. :-)
ReplyDeleteHow great to see the loon! Loved their shots, and those of the herons and other water birds! Nice post, Anni! It's always so exciting to get to see something you are looking for!
ReplyDeleteThe Common Loon was a good find Anni. And those herons certainly look to be in their best finery. All dressed up and ready for action!
ReplyDeleteIts good to see yellowlegs and willets too, species we don't get in the UK.
Thanks for the birding party again.
Yes, I'm back from Spain.
The Common Loon was a good find Anni. And those herons certainly look to be in their best finery. All dressed up and ready for action!
ReplyDeleteIts good to see yellowlegs and willets too, species we don't get in the UK.
Thanks for the birding party again.
Yes, I'm back from Spain.
Looks like you had a great day. I love the reddish egret having a bad feather day. :-)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a lovely lighthearted fun post, with excellent photos too. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks also for hosting your super blog hop.
All the best, Derek
Fun set of photos! The herons and egrets are fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThe Egrets are superb Anni.
ReplyDeleteWell done for spotting the Loon Anni. I had a brief view of one on a Surrey reservoir a few weeks ago before it dived and disappeared for a very long time.
ReplyDeleteI have fond memories of seeing a Reddish Egret at Rollover Pass many years ago.
awesome sightings and such variety
ReplyDeleteAnni, nice array of birds. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThese are just splendid, Anni!
ReplyDeletelove the Loon and the reddish egret. Had to see the labels for the name of that one :) Love their "hairdo" :)
ReplyDeleteThose are some nice bird shots - I love that heron!
ReplyDeleteThese are all amazing. I always loved listening to the loons when I visited the lake in Minnesota.
ReplyDeleteTeresa @ Eden Hills
You see so many varieties of birds! Was that a Reddish Heron? The Loon has always been a challenge to photograph. Good for you! You must be more patient than I. Take care and have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteIt may have been a gray day but you got some super shots and to see that many birds on one day is awesome!
ReplyDeleteLove much your serie fotos, wonderfull, greeting from Belgium
ReplyDeleteSuper shots as always..I missed the name of the cool crown feathered bird- gorgeous ..I have never seen them before! You had a banner day for bird snapping!
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos! Especially love the Reddish Egrets!!! Good day for feathers and movement! Beautiful birds! Plus a nice collection of shorebirds here today. Congrats on the Loon. They are one of the birds that make my favorite bird calls. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteSuch variety of beautiful birds! Great shots!
ReplyDelete