For Purple Martins' Majesty...


When it comes to breeding season, and color changes, I think one of my favorites, and most intense blue change, is the Tri-colored Heron. Their leg color changes from dull green to a deep fuchsia pink. The dusky pin feathers on their breast changes to a beautiful lavender, while their beaks turn the brightest of sky blues. Not to mention the crown feathers' contrasting white. A pretty bird morphs into a gorgeous spectrum of color change!! I share some breeding colors of the Tri-colored Heron [also adding a photo of my sometime spotter....Bud....and a Tri-colored companion in NON breeding colors]

TRI-COLORED HERON - Breeding Colors
Photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Nature Reserve - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat range map: Tri-Colored Heron




At the city's Botanical Gardens this past Spring, while we were there birding the trails they have along the wetlands, creek, and ponds, before getting back into the car to leave for the day, I stopped and watched the Purple Martins as Bud was putting our camera and equipment in the trunk-asking him to bring me the camera before closing the trunk...



PURPLE MARTIN
photos taken: C C Botanical Gardens
habitat range map: Purple Martin



The people in this area know a good thing! Well, let me put it this way: Since Corpus Christi has been renowned and stated to be the birdiest city in North America for over 10 years now, the city's government park & recreation along with birding societies keep things well in hand to hold on to that reputation....they sometimes cater to the bird life. Here, at one of the Audubon Society's many refuges, at Packery Channel on the island, they have not only two covered gazebo watch towers for us birding enthusiasts, they have a man made pond with cattails and flowering, bird attracting foliage, they also have feeders hidden within the oak mottes, AND a continual running [and recycling] spray for the birds. On one particular day, we spotted a Northern Cardinal taking advantage of the cool, gentle shower as the fountain of droplets made its way up into the branches...



NORTHERN CARDINAL
photos taken: Packery Channel Audubon Reserve - Padre Island [Corpus Christi, Texas]
habitat range map: Northern Cardinal


Now share your birding experiences:










For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

27 comments:

  1. Yes, the Tricolored is indeed a colorful bird, especially when it is in breeding plumage. It is great to live in such a bird-friendly place. We cannot even put up martin houses as they violate the covenants of the Homeowners Association. When I lived in Dallas my martin house was almost fully occupied (and sad to say, it also acted as a feeding station for Blue Jays which sometimes plucked the newly hatched babies from their nests). Thanks for sharing and hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoy the herons and the park is doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful birds. I especially love the cardinals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful birds for observations !!
    Wonderful pictures, I love it !!
    Have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni, I just love all your tri-colored heron shots. It is a beautiful bird. And the Purple Martins are cute too, I do not see them around my neighborhood, so they are a treat to see. Pretty Cardinals. Awesome birds, thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute little sprinkler cardinal! loved the tri-color just standing next to bud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Heron (that was a new one for me). Love those Purple Martins, and the Cardinal shots are just AWESOME. That sprinkler is a really neat thing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those heron imags are fabulous although the other shots as good as well. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband always says, "Nobody likes a bath like a cardinal"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Dearest Anni; OMG!!! How gorgeous Tri-colored Heron is♡♡♡ I can see white egret in the rice paddy from time to time. And all year around, it seems they are not migratory bird here. Oh, how I wish I could see this elegant one :-) And the cardinal look so lovely, great photos of having gentle shower from the fountain of droplets♬♬♬
    I DO hope my linking is appropriate for your meme as I only have on shot of ducks in my post.
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from early Sunday morning Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is some spiky featherdo on the first Tri-colored Heron, it detracts from the blue beak, but the other spiky feathers manage to look more masculine and assertive. The Purple Martins look so cute and poufy, and the Cardinals in the mist are having fun. I don't know if the birds here in our over-the-top temperatures would like that too or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the lovely range of pictures and info!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anni. That's a great picture of Tri-coloured Bud in breeding plumage but he does seem a little shy hiding behind his binos like that!

    I didn't realise the Tri-coloured Heron had so many colour changes until you described them. Amazing, and some lovely shots to go with the words.

    It's good to hear how Corpus Christi look after and encourage wildlife like they do. If only every town, city and village did that here it would make a huge difference to Joe Public's awareness.

    Have a great week ahead and let's have your picture next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous images of the Tri-colored Heron. Very nice and informative ones.

    Thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aniin, having never seen nor heard of the Tri Colored Heron, I can see why you love it...handsome bird! As for the Martins, I've never seen one...except in pix, of course so yours made me smile too!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such great shots these are! Love the herons, and also love the cardinal shaking off his bath. Such great subjects you have captured

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely post, Anni! Oh how stunning that tri-colored heron is! Great shots! And I love the purple martins and the sweet cardinal. You got some really great captures and I know you are thrilled to be near the bird area you have for watching there in Corpus Christie! Thanks again for the meme...I enjoy joining in every week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great shots, Anni! Love the cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL on the cardinal shot! Lovely tri color shots!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing shots of the Tri-Colored Heron, Anni! I enjoy watching birds bath, and your shots of the cardinal are great! Thanks for hosting! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We love seeing the variety of birds here in Florida and the herons are always nice to photograph. We've only seen the tri colored heron a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That Tri-colored Heron is simply amazing! I've seen them a few times, but never was blessed with seeing their breeding plumage. What a neat distinction for Corpus Christi to hold: birdiest city. I love it! Visited there once to play a tennis tournament. Was not into birding at that time. I'd love to go back and see some of what you see.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What terrific shots these are, Anni. I really like that heron.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are great Anni. You got some great photos. Thanks for leaving that lovely message for my father-in-law. He's still in the hospital and will be for another week or so I think. Hope you are doing well. I will be joining in your meme next week. I shall be getting through my English vacation posts for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Anni, it is always a pleasure visiting your sight. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh thanks for sending me this link. Hubby and I both looked at these photos. We're going to be on the look out for another one now. Love your photos and that beautiful bright color during breeding season. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents