The Buddy System...



While driving out of the park in Calallen, Texas one morning, sitting all alone atop a power pole was a Crested Caracara. Stopping the vehicle to get back to the trunk and get the camera out before it flew off, I turned it on quickly and snapped a photo. As I reached down to put the camera back, I noticed a 2nd one flying overhead...it circled around and landed next to its partner...



CRESTED CARACARA
photos taken: Road to Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas
habitat range: caracara

A few weeks back I posted the courtship of a ruddy duck. Well, I can say it was a 'success'!!



RUDDY DUCK ducklings
photos taken: Leonabelle Birding Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat range: ruddy duck

..as was with a couple of black necked stilts which we watched each time we went to the refuge...two chicks in the grass!! The image with the dragonfly flying around the top right of the picture, the chick is snuggled up in mama's breast. All you can see are its legs dangling down to the ground.



BLACK NECKED STILTS [and chicks]
photos taken: Leonabelle Birding Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat range: black necked stilts

And one last bird this week, one I haven't seen for some time. It greeted us one morning at the beginning of our walk with its song.  And their song is nice to hear....the buddy system worked for me here, it followed us from tree to bush along the path for quite a while, serenading us.   Perhaps this one was a late migrator and lonely...or maybe some babies close by?  I don't think they breed here in our area, but hey...odder things have happened before...



DICKCISSEL
photo taken: Oso Bay Hiking Trail - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: dickcissel



Now share your birding experiences:







For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:


or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:




49 comments:

  1. That is good news about the stilts and ducks successfully bringing up their babies. That caracara twosome was great too. The Dickcissel is a notoriously late migrant, usually not arriving on their breeding grounds here in NE Illinois until the last half of June. So far I have see two at the most in the prairie where there would usually be more than a dozen by now in past years. Yet my friends in New Mexico have been surprised to have them show up in their historic breeding grounds after being absent for many years. Something is changing their habits. I hope they get here soon as they make beautiful subjects but I have gotten only one distant photo so far this year. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually see them in late Spring [sometime in May usually] Not this year...they've bee quite scarce these past couple of years.

      Delete
  2. Hello Anni, Love the Caracara twosome! And the Ruddy ducks are cute! And the Stilts and chicks are adorable. Great birds and post. Thank you for hosting, Happy 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for sharing your birds this weekend Eileen.

      Delete
  3. i love spotting caracaras. the ruddies are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't seen all that many here of late. I think they're changing feeding ranges. Maybe. LOL

      Delete
  4. Great to watch these winged friends close !!
    Happy Fourth of July !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ela. You're a sweet gal and I really appreciated your positive feedback. Always.

      Delete
  5. Love that first series. Beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked 'em!!! They're one of my favorites.

      Delete
  6. You get great bird shots,that tell a story.Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of the Caracara or the last bird you mentioned either D---- (forgot, sorry ;o) but he sure was handsome! Your photos are (as always) marvelous. Thank you for sharing them with us!

    Oh, I added a link to my bird happy post from awhile back - I got worried right after I hit submit that it might only be new posts (?) people can link to. I'll apologize right now if I got it all wrong :o\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem...as longs as you share something of birds!!! I'm fine with it all.

      Delete
  8. Good Morning Dearest Anni; Oh, Crested Caracara is one of the hawks; I checked, haha. Beautiful bird with white parts and red face☆☆☆ I WISH I could to see these ruddy duck, black necked stilts and How envious (wonderful it must be) hearing the elegant bird dickcissel serenading♬♬♬
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I am envious of your birds that we don't have!!!
      Thanks bunches.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous ones of ducks and other birds with info about their friendly attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  10. loved your images of the Caracara. I saw them in Costa Rica. But not this close. It is a bird with a very proud posture :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to see those Ruddy Ducklings, especially since we don't have them anymore. They were eliminated from our fauna and flora as not belonging!

    Now a Caracara I would really love to see - they just look so different from anything we have.

    Have a brill week Anni and Bud. Where's that picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something I don't understand why anyone would 'rid' themselves of ANY bird. But that isn't for me to comprehend I guess.

      Picture? Of me? LOL...

      Delete
    2. Poor Ruddies! What did they do over there? I don't particularly see them as aggressive as they kind of stay to themselves. Mallards are more of a hassle but each country has its way of dealing with foreigners. What do I know? Maybe an endemic was in danger? Or maybe it was just a reason for people to go shoot things? I'd hate for it to be the latter. The endemic issue I understand.

      Delete
    3. I say...let nature take its course.

      Delete
  12. Hi there stranger! Running around with my head cut off but I'm catching up. Love your Caracaras! And the Dickcissel is an awesome bird. One of these days I'll get my butt over to Texas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anywhere in Texas is a good place to go birding...but, I'm sure you know that already. Thanks, Chris, for stopping by to say hello.

      Delete
  13. Love the Caracara and the Dicsissel (sp?)...great sightings! Enjoyed all the photos! We have company till Tuesday morning...I'll be back as soon as I can to visit everyone. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marie...I just left your site and was truly amazed by your Cooper's Hawks and videos. Well done. Enjoy your company.

      Delete
  14. What a great double sighting. And great name. Caracara. It would be fun to name birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....and, in my opinion some birds I'd REname. LOL

      Delete
  15. Thanks Anni for clarification! Now i know that your blog is for bird images alone and not for all critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's BIRD D'Pot or aka I'd Rather B BIRDIN'

      Delete
  16. The caracaras are an amazing bird. I love the ruddy ducks, they are so cute, like ultimate duck cute.
    How special to see the Stilt chick, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching the stilts...during this time of year...or anytime!!
      Thanks Hannah.

      Delete
  17. Caracaras capture my heart and mind as a wonderful, exotic bird! They evoke mysterious Central and South American places for me, so it's strange to see them perched on a suburban telephone pole!

    Love the shot of the baby stilt legs dangling in the air too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for saying hello Christian. I hope to see your bird photography soon after your blog face-lift!!!

      Delete
  18. Oh, what awesome photos. I love this exotic bird! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would love to see the Caracara one day! Bet you were excited to get those shots. :) The Dickassel is another bird on my wish list. The colors are so amazing. Glad to see the mating pairs doing so well. Hope you're doing well, Anni. Thank you for hosting the link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST return to Texas again for a birding trip!! Thank YOU Gail, for sharing your photos.

      Delete
  20. What's better than one Caracara? Two Caracaras! Great captures. Love the Ruddy ducklings and the Stilt chick too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice captures but the Dickcissel is quite a handsome fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. really thrilling captures anni!! the ruddy ducklings are exceptional fun!! i have been away and almost missed the deadline!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great collection of birds - I'd like to see any of them!

    Stewart M - Wilsons Prom National Park, Victoria, Australia!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents