A Bird, A 'Courtin' and Breeding Plumage....


From Texas Birding and Texas Bird Atlas I am inclined to think the species is becoming uncommon in our state...with the severe reduction of spotting them when we're out birding, the fact that for the previous five years South Texas has experienced a devastating drought, this may be the reason for their decline in our area. Who knows. But I do know prior to the drought we spotted them often. Now, this is the FIRST one I've seen in years! At the same time, in the park where this was sighted, another two gentlemen birders agreed with me - that they've been scarce in our area for several years. We have had some flooding recently [as recent as Saturday March 19th....3 inches of rain fell with 80MPH winds of hurricane force...all in one hour's time!!!], but perhaps it coincides with our average lack of tropical rainfall in the recent years...with more rain this year so far, maybe their population will be on the upswing:
    STATUS: Like the bitterns and Green Heron, its cryptic coloration, secretiveness, and scattered small colonies, the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron is so difficult to census that no reliable nesting census data are available. However, North American Breeding Bird Survey data for Texas (Sauer et al. 2005) give annual trends of 10.4% (1966-1979), -6.1% (1980-2005), and -4.7% (1966-2005); thus indicating a declining trend but, this may reflect survey coverage rather than a decreasing number of birds. 
    source: Texas Bird Atlas










YELLOW CROWNED NIGHT HERON
photos taken: Blucher Park - downtown Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Heron


And speaking of herons, the Great Blue Heron and mates are seen recently on Rookery Island   in North Bay!! Along with egrets, spoonbills, and some seagulls. One Sunday morning [way too early for good photo opportunities, and such a far distance off shore]....I stood by the car and watched in hopes of seeing some courtship displaying. The sun was just coming up over the horizon, and the shadows and distance were a bit of a hindrance, but I still captured some photos to give you an idea of part of their rituals. I apologize for the poor lighting, they're not black and white photos, just too early and a hazy morning for any clarity.


GREAT BLUE HERONS
photos taken:  Rookery Island - Corpus Christi, Texas


Both male and female stretch their necks far into the air...then, they entwine, lovingly!! And mate eventually. I went back a couple of days later at a much later hour, tho, still too lazy to set up the tripod, I zoomed in as far as I could and took more 'action' shots along the island rookery.  From the bay shore, where I have to  park, the island is approximately a  half mile away...and of course, only accessible by boat along the island's shore since it's 'off limits'...








...a partial view of the large rookery island with camera set on panoramic:


LAUGHING GULLS - EGRETS, HERONS, SPOONBILLS
photos taken:  Rookery Island - Corpus Christi, Texas


You can watch an exceptional video on YOU TUBE
or a live video feed of Rookery Island is below this post on the blog page!!




One more that day....only after I left the area near the island, I ventured over to the other side of the bay, and ended up at Sunset Lakes in Portland, Texas. One beauty was a lot more cooperative for me this day. The white morphed Reddish Egret...in his breeding plumage! I zoomed in...




REDDISH EGRET [white morph, breeding plumage]
photos taken:  Sunset Lakes - Portland, Texas
habitat map:  Egret

From a previous post, a white morphed reddish egret in non-breeding plumage seen HERE




Now, share your birding experiences:







For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

26 comments:

  1. Yellow-crowns have such amazing eyes! I actually haven't seen one yet this year, but with me I always suspect not seeing something is because I don't get out birding often enough. love all the bird shots -- the neck stretches are so amazing; I never cease to marvel.

    Your owls header makes me so happy -- just to look at it is amazing. Thanks for hositng.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photos of the yellow crowns! It has very beautiful eyes. Happy Easter, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni!:) Wow! The yellow Crowned Night Heron is such an attractive bird, with those beautiful large eyes. I can't recall seeing it before, or for that matter, the Reddish Egret in it's breeding plumage. Lovely birds and captures of everything,... and there is going to be a lot of lovin going on on Rookery Island. I would love to see the courtship of these birds, from your description it seems so beautiful. I wonder, are they monogamous!
    Happy Easter to you and yours.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the reddish egret is very cool! i've only seen the yellow-crowned here and never the black-crowned which you get more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw my first spoonbill in Florida this March. The wading birds were scare because the water was so high. I love your fun owl header.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear about the night heron. Great images is good but live birds is better :)

    Love to see the Reddish egret. Not that common I think.

    Thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Anni, awesome birds. The YC Night Heron and the Reddish Egret are my favorites. Beautiful birds. Thanks for hosting. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such wonderful bird photos, Annie. I do love looking at herons and they are something I very seldom have seen in nature. Happy Easter weekend to you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing shots, Anni. If I get a heron shot from afar, I consider meself lucky.

    Reddish Egret is a handsome devil!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all those shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! Outstanding images Anni. Those close ups are really impressive. Thanks for hosting this great meme. I have such a fun time participating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Reddish Egret! Also the herons... that yellow crown is neat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic photos !!
    Anni, I wish you a very Happy Easter !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photographs of the Reddish and Yellow crowned Night Heron are superb Anni. HAPPY EASTER.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's only through regular watching of a particular place that birders can spot immediately when a species is down or up. The casual visitor would be oblivious to these changes. Shame you couldn't get close to that rookery but clearly someone cares a lot about the birds there to make sure they are protected.

    Your close ups of the Yellow-crowned Night Heron and the Reddish Egret are just great Anni. The Rediish has quite amazing detail around the face.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend Anni and Bud.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anni. I posted an answer on my blog and thanks for your curiosity in this matter. If you look carefully at the Siskins you will see that the adult on the right has more rounded tips to the tail feathers and that the whole feather is wider than the pointed appearance of the second year bird. Also the tertial feathers of the adult are broadly tipped silver grey and edged by a silvery line, absent from the greyer tertials second year bird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dearest Anni; Oh My, great photographs with close-ups☆☆☆  The Reddish and yellow Crowned Night Heron is really GORGEOUS. Great flying scene as well♪

    Happy Easter to you, hope you had or having wonderful holiday with all of your family, And Thank you so much for hosting, Dear friend♪ I truly appreciate your sweet comment and I'm hoping to have real normal daily pace back :-)

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni, may you have a Happy Easter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely images Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  21. No birds to share with you today, but I wanted to congratulate you on your marvelous photography. I never fail to learn something from your posts, and I never fail to be captivated by your shots.
    Hope you'll come share at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/03/spring-has-finally-sprung.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. What wonderful photos! Love seeing the breeding rituals, and the set up at the rookery! All of the herons and egrets are just beautiful, but I was especially happy to see the Night Heron because of your mention of their decline. Hopefully they will make a comeback!

    Sorry I didn't link in right away...the kids are here during their move, cleaning up, dealing with everything you do getting out of one house and setting off to move out of state. Things are a little crazy right now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope the rainfall increases to more normal levels and the birds will do better, Anni. I like the feathers that stick out in decoration on the back of the yellow crowned's head, and the blue and pink on the eyes of the last egret in particular. How dedicated you are to get out there so early!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so interesting to see the extra color and plumage in mating season. They really look beautiful! I'm late to the party but didn't want to miss out! Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had not heard of the Yellow Crown Night Heron.
    Beautiful heron species and very nicely photographed ....
    The other herons are wonderful and this white heron in your post I have not seen before.
    I learn a lot again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry I have been away from my desktop for the past week an missed your post. I have never seen the white morph of the Reddish Egret-- a beauty indeed! After several years of seeing 8-10 pairs of Yellow-crowned Night-Herons nesting in our local rookery, this year appears to be the first they have totally abandoned it. The herbicide treatments have killed all the branches which extend over the water, and they seem to have required this for successful breeding. Hope to link up later today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents