This is a new one for me. A sedge wren I believe....small, dark, indistinct eyebrow, and short beak...all descriptive points of the sedge wren; unlike other wrens found in our area. It flew and perched for a very short time, then left almost as quickly. This bird brings my total for 2016 to 150 species and counting!! I've been using this chart from American Birding Association to keep record of what I've spotted since January 1st of this year. It's a self induced challenge to see what I can accumulate for one year. You can download it in PDF if you'd like. HERE

SEDGE WREN
photos taken: Han Suter Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Wren
For most of my birding, I travel around town and over to the gulf and the barrier islands. Recently, our pecan tree has been a stop over attraction. The other evening, tho I didn't have any cellphone or camera nearby, we had TWO black crested titmice. With the sun setting, their bodies were nearly pink. Kinda pretty. They flew off to our windows and I believe perhaps this is where they roosted for the night' not 100% positive on that thought 'cause the garage door was closed and I wasn't about to open it to check.. I didn't disturb them. Then, we've had doves, shrikes, mockingbirds, starlings, redwinged blackbirds, and grackles galore in the very same tree. One morning, early, we even had a flycatcher....busy with its feeding habits. I've recently spotted the FEMALE, but I haven't seen the male of the species since we lived in Arizona!!


VERMILLION FLYCATCHER
photos taken: Our Front Yard - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Flycatcher
One more bird for the week....
A nearby park is becoming a lodge of sorts for migrants once again! I've been here three times in the last couple of weeks, and each time I arrive, the vireo graces the tree tops, well hidden of course, with song.


WHITE-EYED VIREO
photos taken: Blucher Park - downtown Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Vireo
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Hello Anni, gorgeous birds. I love the Vermilion Flycatcher. Lucky you to see them close to home, I saw my sightings in Belize. The Vireo is beautiful and cute shots of the wren! Great post. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteWow, that Vermillion Flycatcher is a magnificent yard bird! Beautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your count! The Vermilion is a beauty.
ReplyDeleteIt would be a lot of fun to document what you see all year. I think I'll download it too! Thanks for the link and enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeletecute little wren! congrats! love the flycatcher!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni. A lovely set of captures. The Vermilion Flycatcher is a stunner.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos, love the flycatcher. Not sure if I have them in my area. I'm going to check.
ReplyDeleteI think we saw a vireo a few days ago but we didn't know what it was!! I would love to see a shrike! I've only seen one once a long time ago!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, an impressive number of birds you have seen so far this year. These are birds I have only seen in photos and yours are outstanding. Have a great Sunday :)
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni; Adorable and Lovely varieties of Birds, Happy for you your first finding of 'A sedge wren'♡♡♡ I really wish I could see and take photos colorful birds like your flycatcher:-) Thank you very much for hosting♪
ReplyDeleteSending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
Pretty birds! The colour of the flycatcher is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThat vermillion flycatcher is really beautiful. And that white-eyed vireo looks so cute on your first picture. Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeleteAnni, what a great find - Sedge Wren. Good fortune on your ABA quest. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. I can't believe how much your Sedge Wren looks like our own Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes). It was a good find Anni.
ReplyDeleteNaturally I'm highly impressed by that Vermillion Flycatcher. Boy, spotting that through the end of a telescope would certainly wake up a bleary eyed birder.
THe vireo family is one I like although we don't have them here. If i didn't know it was White-eyed that eye ring would definitely send me in the right direction to ID it.
Have fun you both.
My bird photos never come out as well as yours. Please come share at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-endless-variety-of-orchids.html.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your newest find, Anni. I love the wrens, they have so much...wrenitude!
ReplyDelete~
lovely images all of them :)
ReplyDeleteYou put a lot of work in keeping track of the birds you see. I lost that interest as the no of birds gets lower year by year. :( I live on the wrong place.
Oh my gosh the flycatcher is so wonderful... I only saw it in Arizona . I wish I had that pecan tree! What a lot of fabulous birds to see in your own backyard!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful flycatcher! I have seen a lot of phoebe's when we go down to our farm, but they don't compare to your catch!
ReplyDelete