According to wikipedia's website about Texas Birds, this state has more different species than any other state in the union. Which brings me to this: South Texas Spring Migration is in high gear 'bout now. I've been out each day trying to spot 'new' bird for personal records. As of this posting I've sighted in on four(?) [three for sure] different, never photographed by me, species. The fourth, I'm really not sure the exact ID. I know it's a wren, but which wren? LOL And to top it off, it was spied in the cattail/reed grasses and a bit too 'hidden'. So, I will have to study the images I have to make sure. In the meantime, I will share these:
The first one I've seen and have several photos from the past. This time a vast colony of avocets [100s seen together] were at the tidal ponds around Sunset Lakes! They were for the most part in breeding colors and some of the antics showed breeding/defending/territorial activity. -note the lowered head and open wing stance-

...then on a return trip the same week, different day, a loner in beautiful breeding colors with its blue legs and rusty head!! [non-breeding -winter plumage seen here]

AMERICAN AVOCET
photos taken: Sunset Lakes - Portland, Texas
habitat map: Avocet
The "New" Species seen recently:
The first and last of this series are birds I've never had the opportunity to watch and study before. The following two images are of the Warbler family. It's plain in body color, but shows off an intense striped crown of contrasting black. Yet, nature has a way of camouflaging....from an aerial view as I stood atop a picnic table to watch it, since they are ground feeders, the coloration and striping blends in with the wooded forest VERY well, helping protect it from predators I'm assuming....


WORM EATING WARBLER
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge - Port Arnasas, Texas
habitat map: Warbler
...this species greeted me at the park as I stepped into the wooded 'forest' with song!! I tried to be patient, waiting for it to bow its head to show off its dark rusty brown crown. After taking several photos for identification, I continued through the small park....its song continued to be heard throughout!!


CAROLINA WREN
photos taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Wren
...and the last bird, another never before photographed by me. A plover which travels some of the longest distance of any migrant bird. From South America to the northern tip of the world...the Tundra. Twice a year...it travels approximately 2500+ miles....[Some migrate non-stop from James Bay, Canada to South America and visa versa - source]


AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture North - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Plover
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Hello Anni, all three of these are great birds and sightings. I love the Avocets in their breeding color. The Worm-eating Warbler is pretty too and I love the cute wren. Wonderful post, thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen....the avocet is one of my favorites too.
DeleteBeautiful birds are there in your post.
ReplyDeleteI love these birds. The Color To be really lovely.
Greetings, Helma
Thanks Helma!!!
DeleteIt's so exciting to see birds you've never seen before. We have a lot of birds migrating through now too. I just saw a flock of storks high in the sky a few minutes ago when I was watering the lawn. I have bird photos I hope you can help me with today. I would love to get a positive id on a bird I saw this week in the swamp. Hugs, Diane
ReplyDelete....definitely a tri colored heron!!!
DeleteI've updated my post! Thank you SO much for your help! Hugs!
DeleteSo many beautiful and interesting birds in your post also this time, Anni! Your photos are great.
ReplyDeleteThank you for hosting and have a lovely weekend!
Thank YOU Sara...have a great weekend.
DeleteI really do like the avocets, and wish I could see them. You had a great outing to see this many. Have a super weekend!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget to come back and add your link. I'm never sure if it's forgotten or you don't want to link up. So, I just try to remind.
DeleteSuch beautiful and interesting birds !!
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend :)
I love all your bird photographs.
ReplyDeleteThanks Margaret.
DeleteThis sure is an exciting time to be a birder Anni. None more so than in texas with all those species and the sheer numbers passing through your area. I'm thinking that someone could go birding every single day and see a complete change in numbers and species.
ReplyDeleteA couple of those species have a long way to go yet, especially Worm-eating Warbler which I remember seeing in Canada. Thanks for the memory. And of course I long to find an American Golden Plover here in the UK - some day.
Glad you enjoyed my joke about the Italian sportscar - if only I had plenty of dough or was a Texas Oil Baron?
Or a lottery winner!!
DeleteI still want to take a teat drive. Who gets to go behind the wheel? You or me?
What a beak. And blue legs to boot. Nature is so diverse and beautiful. I bet you are really enjoying the spring open house down there!
ReplyDelete"Spring open house"....I like that reference.
DeleteLove the Avocets-- wonderful closeups. I waited quite a few years before i finally saw my first Worm-eating Warbler. Always looked for in near the ground but my first ones showed up well above eye level! It had a habit of fluttering to the ground like a fallen leaf. The plover is another great find. Saw a stilt this morning but so far have never been graced with an Avocet in our local wetlands.
ReplyDeleteI've only seen images of the worm eating warbler in my guide books...so, naturally, I spent quite a few minutes watching it to learn more about them.
DeleteNo avocets in your area? You'd think they'd be there too.
It's such an exciting time of year, isn't it, Anni! Great captures for you! I had a "new" bird this week too, the vermilion flycatcher! Such a thrill!
ReplyDeleteI'm on my way!!
Deletecongrats on the new! love the avocets!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ms. T [pssssst] come over to Hootin' Anni's when you can, I got a special fence this week. With you in mind.
DeleteFantastic sightings! Glad you've seen new birds and been able to get their photos. Love that breeding plumage!
ReplyDeleteSeeing a new bird is always good, but then, it's back to a new search for something else with feathers. LOL Thanks Marie.
DeleteThe American Avocet is a very interesting bird. I have never actually seen one. Loved all your bird photos today Anni. Thank you so much. Always interesting to read about them.
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly Denise
DeleteIt is exciting!! And the season is exciting.
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos as always. That Worm Eating Warbler is so cute.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new species! I LOVE the American Avocets! I finally spotted one last summer, after trying and trying to find it where others had been seeing it! Just one... I haven't been out much yet--weather has not cooperated. But I am ready!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThing is...you found one finally!! It's always exciting to see a 'new' bird. Thank YOU for visiting Maggee
DeleteNo wonder it seems like you have a never-ending supply of different birds. These are great. Thanks for hosting each week!
ReplyDeletemany wonderful birds, but the Avocet is my overall favorite :)
ReplyDelete