Bases Are Loaded...


"They" tell me that Blue Jays have been this far south in Texas, but I've never seen one. If you frequent my personal blog, you know I love baseball. I figured since there are two teams - Blue Jays and the Orioles [Baltimore] I'd title the post as I did.  Something of interest I've been reading about the blue coloration of the jays that I want to share...follow the red asterisk to the end of the post.  You may find it a bit startling as I did.----

*Blue Jays 0
Orioles 12


BALTIMORE ORIOLE
ORCHARD ORIOLE
photos taken: Mustang Island, Texas
[last three are of the Baltimore Oriole in our Pecan Tree - Front Yard]
habitat map: Baltimore, Orchard



*SPEAKING OF BLUE JAYS....did you know that their 'blue' feathers are really NOT blue at all? Science proves it.
    Did you know? The Blue Jay’s feathers are not actually blue. The bright cobalt colour is the result of the unique inner structure of the feathers, which distort the reflection of light off the bird, making it look blue. We perceive their feathers as blue, but they are actually black/brown. So what phenomenon produces the blue of bluejays? It's the same science that explains why the sky is blue. Feather colors are determined either by pigments, called pigmented colors, or by light refraction called structural colors. Feathers contain two types of pigments. The melanins are sharply outlined, microscopic particles we see as black, dull yellow, red and brown. The lipochrome pigments are diffused in fat droplets and produce brighter yellows, reds and oranges. When light strikes a pigment, it absorbs all the other wavelengths of the color spectrum except the color we see, which is reflected back to our eyes. Black is produced when all color wavelengths are absorbed and no color is reflected. Structural colors, produced by selective light reflection, are mostly the blues, greens and violets. Shimmering iridescent colors are produced when light bounces off the grooves and ridges on feathers. The distance between these surface irregularities influences which colors we see. These structural colors change with the angle of view. Most blue structural colors are produced when particles smaller than a light beam scatter light. These blues do not change hue when viewed from different angles.  Blue jays actually are not blue at all. What appears blue is a unique brown pigment in their feathers which appears blue to us because of the way it reacts to light.






Now share your birding experiences:









For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

23 comments:

  1. What tells you about the springs of the Blue Jay that I really did not know. I learn this way again about when the blue jay. Your photos are again great to see. Nice variety of birds and beautiful colors.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous birds Anni. Orioles always seem to be very pleasing to the eye :)

    About the colors they are much the same as with butterflies.
    Thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni. Those orioles are just magnificent with those bright colours, yet they manage to blend in to the tree canopy and stay hidden. It reminds me of our European Golden Orioles, a species we see but rarely in the UK. It is similarly shy but brings gasps of admiration when a yellow and black male is sighted.

    Maybe next week in Spain? Visit me there.

    Cheers Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all Anni, those are fantastic photos of the birds. It is a rare occurrence for me to see the Baltimore Oriole and I have never seen the Orchard Oriole. Second of all, fascinating info on one of my favorite feisty birds, the Blue Jay. I love watching them and I would never have realized that they weren't actually blue. Thanks for another great post and thanks for hosting too. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni, gorgeous views of the Orioles. The Baltimore Oriole is the state bird for Maryland. The Orchard Oriole is a lovely color. Great shots. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anni. Just love those colourful Orioles. Feather structure and colour ... just one of nature's wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The orioles are gorgeous. The colours are spectacular. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your new header! I knew that about jays. But it was interesting to get the full explanation as to why we see them as blue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting about the blue color in blue jays. We are fortunate to get to see the Florida scrub jay pretty often and he is beautiful too. Enjoy your weekend! Love your new banner! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Orioles really does have it's beautiful, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story about the Blue Jays.

    I wish some Orioles would visit the backyard!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can read your text more clearly now which is good as is all your shots today. yes it is interesting how coour is seen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Anni; What a GORGEOUS bird "Oriole" is ♬♬♬ I really enjoy seeing your pictures. Colors are outstanding♡♡♡ I wish I could see blue Jay as well!

    Have a wonderful New Week and short Spring and and Thank you very much for hosting.
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful birds !! As always, you sharing fantastic potos, Anni !!
    Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, Spring is colorful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's fascinating, Anni! The orioles may be winning in Corpus, but here at my house (north of SA) the Jays are running a grand slam :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you NEVER-EVER seen Blue Jays in the environment? You would see bullies and loudmouths, in spite of their fancy garments. They sure are feisty in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos! I only have orioles come through my area for a couple of weeks this time of year - anytime now! Blue Jays are my constant resident. I kinda enjoy their loudness - probably helps that their so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shots as always! And I loved the explanation of the blue feathers! Such fascinating things in nature...always surprises!

    By the way, sorry I got on my soapbox last time. You're right, we were basically agreeing. It seems this world is so crazy these days that EVERYTHING is a source of agitation! Thank goodness for escapes from all that with nature! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, one could argue that all color is a matter of light and perception. Not every sees color the same anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did know about the "trick of the light" blue (or more accurately not-blue) of the blue jay feathers ... and the sky. And if you stick your ski pole down into the snow you will see sky blue (that is the best thing I remember about cross-country skiing).

    Love the orioles -- the only ones I've ever been able to see well enough to ID were at Port A. I remember people putting orange slices on reeds at the birding center in downtown Port A (right across the street from the RV Park where we used to stay).

    ReplyDelete
  22. How interesting! I did not know that. Great shots, as always. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents