Migration Season is coming to a close once again around the Coastal Bend. Throughout the last couple of weeks, I've spotted four new bird species for my records. The most recent one was last Sunday [May 1st]. Of course it had to be a warbler. They play havoc with my stress level....being that they are very difficult to get into focus before they are bounding off to another branch or taking off to disappear completely. The 'new' warbler is the Blackpoll Warbler...which was 'out of its habitat range'; a vagrant. Altho, Bud's National Geographic Bird Guide shows that they migrate along the coastal Texas border. The other two birds that I have never photographed before are the Grasshopper Sparrow [distinctive points to ID the grasshopper is the short tail AND the yellow coloration around the wing...no other sparrow has that. Plus the wing color pattern and the buff-non-striped breast.], the third bird being the one and only Yellow Headed Blackbird!!! Yes indeed, one bird I grew up with [so to speak] when I lived in Colorado. This is the FIRST time I've been able to get photos. Of course, when I was young, I thought they were 'cool' birds, but never was into photography OR birding. The fourth new species I've recently photographed is the Clapper Rail...I will post photos of that at another time since I have a large number of photos to share already.
Here are the three species so far...fourth coming soon.:







YELLOW HEADED BLACKBIRD
photos taken: Packery Channel Park - Padre Island, Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Blackbird


GRASSHOPPER SPARROW
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture North - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Sparrow


BLACKPOLL WARBLER
photos taken: Leonabelle Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Warbler
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Hello Anni, The Yellow-headed Blackbird is a beauty. Wonderful photos. Congrats on the Blackpoll Warbler, they are pretty. Thanks for hosting! Have a happy weekend and Mother's Day!
ReplyDeleteThose blackbirds are magnificent. I once saw a tree full of them in New Mexico and it was an unbelievable sight, almost as if it were on fire. Nice getting new lifers near the end of migration. It is just starting here in NE Illinois but is actually quite slow so far. Thanks for sharing these beautiful images!
ReplyDeleteThe blackbirds are gorgeous. Thank you for hosting, Anni!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:)Spectacular images of he beautiful Yellow-headed Blackbird. What a lovely bird! The Grasshopper Sparrow is so cute, and I like it's name. The Blackpoll Warbler is also a striking looking bird,.. well spotted, and congrats on all three sightings, and great photos.
ReplyDeleteYour bird shots are always fun Anni, and how cool that you got to see the Blackpoll Warbler for the first time. I have only seen photos of the Yellow-headed Blackbird and think their two contrasting colors are so striking. The grasshopper sparrow is new to me. Great photos and thanks so much for hosting. Enjoy your weekend :)
ReplyDeleteWow! The black/yellow combination is stunning!
ReplyDeleteThe other birds are good-looking, too
Have a great week-end!
Lea
Three beautiful bird species. Have a lovey weekend.
ReplyDeletegorgeous birds all three of them, but I think the Yellow headed blackbird is really special.
ReplyDeleteAnni ... I had to chuckle at the mention of Warblers and stress levels. At least many of your species have some colour .. most of of my local migrant warblers are 'LBJ's' (little brown jobs)!!
ReplyDeleteI'm delighted you caught up with 4 new species and got some super shots, especially that stunning Yellow Headed Blackbird.
awesome! i've always wanted to see yellow-headeds!
ReplyDeleteAnni, I would have been so tickled to get these amazing photos...beautiful!...:)JP
ReplyDeleteAnni, your photos are absolutely gorgeous and captivating and I love how you have showcased them!
ReplyDeleteThat blackbird is amazing...such beautiful coloring! I like your new profile pic too! Happy weekend! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni, Good Morning; Oh My,how GORGEOUS and handsome YELLOW HEADED BLACKBIRD looks♫♫♫ I always wish that I could see more colorful birdies so that even with my bad eyes it might be a bit easier to spot p:-) And not the regular ones, haha. Lovely SPARROW and warbler, too♡♡♡
ReplyDeleteBy the way, this morning we found the answer for the funny sing of bird. It was the pheasant; just guessed and checked with the pc. bingo p:-) So happy to be able to hear the national bird's voice.
Wish will Have a wonderful mother's day Sunday. Thank you SO much for hosting.
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
I always enjoy the Yellow-headed Blackbirds.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are amazing. So beautiful and such detail. Congratulations on spotting 4 new birds. That's really something. I'll bet you'll be sad when the migration season is finished.
ReplyDeleteAnni, Yellow Headed Blackbird. Great capture. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHappy Mothers Day, Anni!
ReplyDeleteThose blackbirds are very cool. I like the little grasshopper sparrows, too.
~
Wow !! Such beautiful birds !!
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos !!
Greetings
We saw so many birds biking on a rural trail this weekend. An Eagle even flew out of a marsh right in front of us. I've never seen a yellow headed black bird. He sure is striking. Luckily, migration is still happening up north!
ReplyDeleteThese birds are all new for me! I am fascinated by that Yellow Headed Blackbird. You really got some great shots of all of them. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog about my grandson's photos of the Sandhill Cranes. He was so excited to see his pictures on there and to read the comments!
ReplyDeleteYour photos of the yellow-headed blackbird are just amazing! Well, all your photos are always great, but I swear this guy looks like he might fly right off the computer screen any minute now. Thank you so much for hosting.
ReplyDeleteI was just at Malheur National Wildlife refuge and saw SO many yellow headed blackbirds, and took a zillion pics, but none of them are as good as yours. I love the way they sing and talk, hang out in groups, and just generally are interesting to observe.
ReplyDeleteThe Yellow headed Blackbird is a real stunner.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos of all of them, but I particularly love the Yellow-headed Blackbirds!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of these birds. Beautiful colors and even the small birds are fantasist itself to see. This is also really enjoy the birds.
ReplyDeleteLove the yellow headed blackbird. Never even heard of that kind of sparrow. You are such a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for hosting each week.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful colour on the blackbird.
ReplyDelete