A Lesson in DARK PHASE & White Morph


The reddish egret is a medium-sized heron. It energetically makes use of its wings shadow to reduce glare on the water once it is in position to spear a fish; the result is a fascinating dance. This is commonly referred to as a canopy. Several times here I've mentioned the white morph Reddish Egret. Since the Migratory season has all but ended here in the Coastal Bend, I thought I'd take the time to show you and let you compare the two kinds of reddish egrets together on one post. And I'm gonna play 'teacher' for now and add a bit a trivia. Try to imagine a big-bodied bird with pencil-thin legs running around on hot coals, staggering sideways, leaping in the air, flapping its wings and occasionally jabbing its bill downward and grabbing a fish from the tidal flats, or marsh water, all at the same time. Keeping that in mind, continue to imagine the same bird doing all these things and looking beautiful, and colorful, and graceful while dancing. That is the feeding behavior of a Reddish Egret. The bird's two distinctly different adult color morphs also make it stand out from other members of the heron family. Over the years I've observed only a distinct bill and leg differential during breeding plumage. Their body feather colors remain while their bills become bright sky blue and a fuchsia pink, with their legs turning from a dull grey/blue to a bright blue.


The dark Phase:







...the White Morph





REDDISH EGRET
photos taken: [both dark and white morph] - Sunset Lakes/Indian Point - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: egret




Now, share your birding experiences:








For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

22 comments:

  1. Dark Phase and White Morph sound like something right out of Star Wars! I enjoy watching Wood Storks hunt using their wings to cause a shadow too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni. Your description of the 'dance' brought back memories of watching them doing their stuff in the surf at Bolivar Flats in 2003. Loved viewing the comparison photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are very beautiful. Enjoy your weekend, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they're truly beautiful in either form.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow !! They are beautiful !!
    Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The egrets are so beautiful. I did enjoy you sharing the information on them. It's always nice to review or learn facts and habits about birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating post, Anni. Egrets are such beautiful birds one would think there would be a famous ballet like swan lake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating read Anni. I was lucky enough to see a Reddish Egret do its little dance on a boat ride on holiday in Florida a few years ago. I was delighted to witness it as our boat guide explained what was going on. Your photos are awesome and thank you for teaching me about the white morph phase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a wonderful description of the egret's "dance" Anni. I know exactly what you mean because our own Little Egret behaves in a similar fashion but of course is just white without the colour phases.

    Yes your Texas floods made it to our news channels - stay safe and dry out soon. Good luck with the book. I'm sure it will suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat post! I love learning things like that. The fifth "dark phase" shot you posted is spectacular :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing shots of the herons, Anni.

    I never knew they did this!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni, appreciate the lesson. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful, wonderful shots of the dancing egrets! So sharp, and not blurred at all! My very favorite is in the White Morph collage, first small one to the left. Because of his gorgeous feathers all fluffed out! The reddish one is super cool too. It must be rare. A splendid and mysterious bird. My favorite of the dark one is the last dark photo that is very large. Looks like he may be fishing...truly splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so interesting, the reddish egret comes in a white morph. Love it and thanks for the info :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful photos! We have those here in FL but don't see them very often! I'm late to the party....but better late than never! lol Enjoy your week! Take care! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would LOVE to see these and Cattle Egrets--they are both so strikingly beautiful! Not that the Great Blue, Yellow Crowned Night and Green Herons are not beautiful, but... I do like variety! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! These are gorgeous pix..thanks for giving us a closer look!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your shots are just beautiful and so interesting to see the Dark Phase. Had never known about this and you have great examples!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love the one with the wings over his back, he looks like a dark angel..

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents