It's June! --- Stork Season!!


In South Texas, when on the calender it tells us it's June, you know the storks will be arriving.

Last Sunday, I took a drive around the backside of the city, along the Joe Fulton Corridor where the Nueces River flows into the North Bay by the Harbor Bridge and the Port of Call [for ships]. I pulled off onto the shoulder of the highway near a reed covered pond and watched the sky for Wood Storks. One arrived; flew in and landed on a tree branch. Then, within minutes of waiting and anticipating, several more showed up. All in all, by the time I left for another short drive to Portland, Texas, an estimated 50 storks were flying over!!



...other birds were in the sky also...


WOOD STORKS
photos taken: Joe Fulton Corridor - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Stork


BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
photo taken:  Joe Fulton Corridor - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Whistling Duck


BLACK SKIMMER
photo taken:  Sunset Lakes - Portland, Texas
habitat map:  Skimmer


SNOWY EGRET
photo taken:  Sunset Lakes - Portland, Texas
habitat map:  Egret


GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken: [from car window] along the Nueces River - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Heron








Now, share your birding experiences:








For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

22 comments:

  1. Your flight photos are wonderful! And I know they can be so hard to do! I just love their black and white patterns! And I can even get a good look at their faces! They have the look of very old souls. The snowy egret is Gorgeous, and he may be my favorite shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always startled to see the Egret's bright yellow feet!
    Great photos!
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. We cannot see the sunset from our yard either. We always have to drive. We drive to different places depending on where it is setting. And that is not easy! Even if you find a good hill, there are so many buildings, trees, and wires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ahve so much fancy birds. Did not know you had storks. I have seen Woodstork on some of my travels.
    The stork was a common bird in the south of Sweden long ago, Then they were gone for a couple of decades, now they are coming back as they have a program for that. Seem to work. I think they have about 30 couples each summer now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of storks. We don't really have storks in Finland except for young birds on temporary visits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow ! Fantastic photos of birds in flight !!
    Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your photos of the stork, they are such extraordinary birds. I also enjoyed seeing the Black Skimmer, Snowy Egret and the Great Blue Heron. Great shots all of them. Thanks for hosting such a fun m meme and happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those birds are awesome,especially in flight,unbelievable how they can take off & fly with such large bodies,beautiful,thanks for sharing,phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your in-flight shots are the best, Anni! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the storks are wonderful and prehistoric looking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni These are super flights shots of the birds. Love you header.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning Anni. Are you sat enjoying your new book? Hope you enjoy it.

    That must have beeen a real thrill seeing those Wood Storks actually arriving from their migration flight. You got some lovely shots there. Liked the other pictures too - especially the skimmer, a bird I would simply love to see for real.

    Have a great day now you and Bud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Anni! Wonderful sightings and photos. Awesome flight shots! I love all your birds. Thanks for hosting, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni, great action photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots of the birds in flight, Anni.

    The storks are very stylish!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boy, what a wind span the wood storks have in flight. I like to call them Grandpas. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photos Anni! I love seeing the storks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have seen storks here several times but not in flight like these, only wading in the ponds.. so beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really want to see a Skimmer! What a bird.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautifully captured, Anni. We saw nesting storks from Amsterdam to Bucherest in March and April. In the Balkan States that we visited, the storks were considered good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great photos of fascinating birds, Anni! I too was thinking that it's easy to imagine wood storks had prehistoric relatives.
    I haven't managed to take any decent bird photos recently. Yesterday I saw a hawk (?) attacked by some gulls, but they were all flying too high for good photos. :)
    Have a lovely weekend... and enjoy the SUMMERTIME! :)

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents