A Month Late...and a Drop Short aka NO RAIN.



It seems that May was so wet that Mother Nature has decided we need to dry out and go back to the drought. And the heat is relentless. Too hot most days to enjoy any long outings. One of my favorite 'hot spots' is no longer showing much bird activity at all. The salt flats at Charlie's Pasture in Port Aransas, on any 'normal' day throughout the months except for July and August, there is usually water. I drove there on the 6th, and was sadly shocked. Only one small watering hole with several white ibis, egrets, stilts and a few gulls were seen. Every place else...Cracked and Dry, and absolutely NO birds...




So, April photos it is:

These were taken one morning while walking the jetty in Port Aransas. We have both White Pelicans and Brown Pelicans....for some reason I always favor the brown ones.





...on the way back to Corpus, from Port Aransas, I stopped at a small park, Packery Channel, and spotted the male pyrrhuloxia posing atop a fence post. He was mighty handsome!



The highlight of the morning was seeing TWO Scissortailed Flycatchers at one time, way off in the open field...





Now share your birding experiences:










For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

15 comments:

  1. we have pretty much the same weather. First too much wet, then too much dry. Right now it can´t decide what it want to be. not good for wildlife and nature. :( Love your images of the scissor tailed flycatchers. I have seen it in a distance but never got a shot of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pelican shots are awesome, and you even got one catching a fish! Oh, everything IS all dried up! The poor birds and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You proved a valuable lesson in birding Anni. Where there's water there are birds and vice versa. I hope you get some rain soon, enough for standing water and waders galore.

    Enjoy your Sunday in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You proved a valuable lesson in birding Anni. Where there's water there are birds and vice versa. I hope you get some rain soon, enough for standing water and waders galore.

    Enjoy your Sunday in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention I love your new header image. It is so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Pelicans, so beautiful Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does seem like the weather goes to extremes! We usually get pop up showers in the afternoon during the summer months...but they are popping up all around us and we are so dry. Love that sweet little bird that starts with a 'p'! lol I've never seen anything like him! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not just seeing the two, getting both in the pic!

    Love all your birds, Anni. It's been so hot and dry where I am right now, I had to go with old birdie pics.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful birds! It's been a little dry here but we get brief showers now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, too hot everywhere! NO birding outings for me either! Loved seeing your bird, especially the Pyrrhuloxia (looks like a fledge cardinal!)and the Scissortailed Flycatchers!! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your pyrrhloxia and scissor-tail! Great photos! The pelicans are stunning too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Anni; Wow, fantastic pictures of all the gorgeous birdies♫♫♫ Especially, pyrrhuloxia is really unique looking♡♡♡ And the flycatcher sure has the long scissor like tail; very lovely(^_^)ï½–
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot to write that I'm going to be away from PC around the end of this week. So sorry I won't be able to link next week. And thank you so much for your contributions for us♪

      Delete

Table of Contents