Spring Archives


I'm relying on Spring Photo Archives once again. This week I'm sharing these:

MARCH
On Mustang Island, the North Pasture near the ship channel on this day in March, I watched Two Lesser Yellowlegs having a fling!! [I'm not sure if they were courting or demanding territorial rights since the yellow on the legs are really not all that yellow  as when in breeding plumage]. I'm still inclined to think it was a courtship ritual being Spring....But the action, for the short time it lasted, was a challenging photo op...






LESSER YELLOWLEGS
photos taken: North Pasture - Port Arnasas, Texas
Habitat Map: Yellowlegs



APRIL

April of this year, it was the best month so far! So many 'new' photographed! Yellowheaded blackbirds, clapper rail, American Golden Plovers, Hudsonian Godwit, upland sandpipers to mention a few. I went into 'new' territory; parks, and experimented on different areas to quickly become more 'hot spots' for me...from the Willows to a couple of parks never before perused, and more places across the channel by making use of the auto ferry ride, etc.





BLACK BELLIED PLOVER
photos taken: Padre Island Nat'l Seashore - C. C. Texas
Habitat Map: Plover



BLUE GROSBEAK
photos taken: Packery Channel Audubon Park - North Padre Island
Habitat Map: Grosbeak



CATTLE EGRET [breeding plumage]
photos taken: Mustang Island - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Map: Egret



MAY

In May, I walked the long grassy trail around the ponds northwest of town, Pollywog Ponds.  The trail ends at the Nueces River, and then circles around the last pond to intersect with a 2nd pond.  There are THREE ponds..one has been dried up and forested with willow and oak trees ever since we've lived here in Texas.  The Least Grebe is a bit scarce, only reaching the upper southern coastal areas of the south in our state.  When and if I do see the least grebe, it is rarely a couple.  This mating season, I was lucky.  According to the Ornithology Lab:  "The smallest grebe in the Americas, the Least Grebe inhabits both temporary and permanent wetlands from south Texas to Argentina. Easily overlooked because of its size, coloration, and habits, it remains the most poorly understood of North American grebes."








LEAST GREBE
photos taken:  Pollywog Ponds - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Map: Grebe




Now share your birding experiences:









For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

17 comments:

  1. Hard to pick a favorite here. The plover is striking and the grebe is a very nice find so well captured. Also can't beat the plumage of the Cattle Egret and of course the Blue Grosbeak. A feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had a great year, and it's only half over, Anni!

    I have to love all those pics, but the Blue Grosbeak...IS SO BLUE!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely birds, especially the Blue Grosbeak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really shown very many seen and beautiful pictures. These retrospective shows how many beautiful birds there are in the world. I enjoyed it.
    I wish you a very nice evening :-)
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the grebe and the cattle egrets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fun to look back and see the wonderful birds you've seen this year. I would love to do this too. I printed out a list of birds for this part of FL to help keep up with what we see. Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great birds all of them. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you documented each month's highlights. Those blue grosbeaks sure are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely birds all of them you share today. Wish I could see more of them but if they appear where I live it is just for a very short stop.
    But I read your sidelist about the no of birds you have. Made me check out my list and realixed I had not updated for 3 years :) At that time I had 200 hundred birds I had seen in Sweden and 187 species for Sweden on my blog. I have no knowledge of how many species I have throughout the world. But probably around a 1000. Maybe I should take time to check it out. Would be quite fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can pick no favorite. They are ALL superb! Your capture of the entire Yellowlegs ritual is amazing! The Blue Grosbeak and Plover are beautiful! Amazing photos today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pics and that first shot is spectacular! I love the egret too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni. You captured interesting behaviour by the yellowlegs which looks rather territorial to me.

    I think your name for Black-bellied Plover is much better and more descriptive than our own "Grey Plover", but then we really only see them in winter grey. It's also interesting that your Cattle Egrets are much yellower than the ones I see in Europe, mainly Spain. All these variations maake for fascinating reading and study.

    Super shots of the Blue Grosbeak!

    Have a great week both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nature never disappoints...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your beautiful birds !!
    Happy Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, rich retrospect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful adventures! Happy summer, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning images, Anni. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents