Beach Birds...


It was a day for Black Skimmers along the shoreline the other day! There were dozens of them foraging along the water. I happened to be 'lucky' and watch one actually catch some food! There were other birds, Western Sandpipers, Laughing Gulls, One lone Semipalmated Plover, and Least Terns. At the parking lot, before I headed home, Grackles and Mourning Doves.

Some photos of my beach stroll...
From the Cornell Lab about the Black Skimmer:
    The remarkable bill of the Black Skimmer sets it apart from all other American birds. The large red and black bill is knife-thin and the lower mandible is longer than the upper. The bird drags the lower bill through the water as it flies along, hoping to catch small fish.





Before I knew it, one caught a fish, flew to the beach for a better grip and quickly took off, headed right toward me!!



...and before I could push the shutter button a 2nd time [I didn't have my camera setting on multiple shots...should have...but didn't. Figures!], it was back over the Gulf, flying away from me!!


BLACK SKIMMER
photos taken:  Bob Hall Pier area - Gulf of Mexico
habitat map:  Skimmer


...a few of the other birds seen:


SEMMIPALMATED PLOVER
MOURNING DOVE
photos taken:  Bob Hall Pier area - Gulf of Mexico
habitat maps:  Plover - Dove


WESTERN SANDPIPER [chasing a sand crab]
LEAST TERN
photos taken:  Bob Hall Pier area - Gulf of Mexico
habitat map:  Sandpiper - Tern


LEAST TERN
photos taken:  Bob Hall Pier area - Gulf of Mexico
habitat map:  Tern


LEAST TERN
LAUGHING GULL [1st year]
photos taken:  Bob Hall Pier area - Gulf of Mexico
habitat maps:  Tern - Gull



Now share your birding experiences:









For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

17 comments:

  1. I love the Black Skimmers, excellent images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see the American skimmer. I ehb this bird never met and did not know of its existence. Wonderful to see this in your post :-)
    the other beach birds are very beautiful.
    My contribution this time kingfishers :-)

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW WOW! Both of these pictures are just fabulous!! It is hard to believe you did not have your camera on the motion setting! I enjoyed the skimmer info, too. But the fish in the beak has to be the star of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing your images I wish I was by the ocean. But I´m inland and our wetlands are drying out. The water will soon be totally gone :( Love your images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni!:) Amazing two shots of the Skimmer, not easy shots to make on any camera setting, and it's a great looking seabird. I like the cute image of the Western Sandpiper in pursuit of the crab,:) and the Semmipalmated Plover is such a pretty bird especially the enlarged image.

    Anni earlier today I mistakenly added my post to your last weeks post (it must be the heat) so I'll link up again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, nice of the skimmer to show you his catch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely birds seen at the beach but the shot with the fish in the Skimmers beak is marvellous Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Anni. I am always impressed by skimmers, mainly because we have nothing like tem in Europe. The nearest we have is the tern family. An amazing close-up you achieved there. Also, fine shots of the semi-p and the Western Sandpiper, two species that are real rairities in the UK. You had a real good day despite missing out on multiple shots.

    That is the most frustrating part of bird photography. Making sure that the settings are right for ech situation. But how often do I forget to change from the last one in readiness for a new bird, light, etc, etc!

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are dramatic shots of the skimmer! Our Least Terns have been gone for almost a month, as soon as their youngsters learned how to fish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni, I always love to see the Skimmers. The shorebirds should be moving thru soon. Cool actions shots. Great shots of the Tern, Sandpiper and cute Plover. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You took some wonderful photos...love seeing them in flight! I missed linking with you this week. My raccoons were cute but couldn't work a bird into my post! heehee! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. As usual you were able to pull off some great shots! Stay cool this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Ann; OMG, how amazing the skimmer with fish on its beak shots♡♡♡ And GORGEOUS birds you showed♪ I truly enjoyed your post today. So sorry I don't have birds shot this week, I'll link next week and thank you very much for hosting.
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are GREAT shots! You captured plenty of good snaps of that Skimmer with the fish! Pretty cool... I will check to see if they have been spotted in my area...Not a bird I am familiar with yet. Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents