Charlie's Pasture North...


Friday Morning, September 16th, I left for the islands around 6:30 a.m. By the time I reached Leonabelle Refuge [a favorite area on Mustang Island], the sun was just coming up and once again, promised to be a hot, sultry day. The Gulf's tide was extremely high...enough to send across my weather app, a Tidal Flood alert....That meant WATER seepage in the salt flats!! And perhaps a lot of salt water shorebirds. From Leonabelle's observation tower a person can take their scopes or binoculars and look far beyond the cat-tail pond and see Charlie's Pasture Nature Preserve [North AND South]. The North Pasture juts up against the Port of Corpus Christi's Ship Channel from the Gulf of Mexico. Another birder told me as I was leaving the first stop for the day that there was a lot of activity at Charlie's. I walked the parking lot's turn-around first, as he left the refuge. I met up with him again at Charlie's. The young man was originally from Houston [born and raised] and he told me of a few places I could perhaps see the Blue Jay and the Pileated Woodpecker within 100 miles from home - without having to drive to Austin OR Houston. So, come winter, Bud and I plan to travel for a day trip to the area he told me about. Anyway, I got sidetracked...When I got there, the water was shin deep and the bird population was astounding!! Multiple dozens of egrets, herons, spoonbills, sandpipers, ONE Virginia Rail, a Loggerhead Shrike, Mockingbirds, Blackbirds [red winged], Killdeer, ONE Horned Lark, a few Black Skimmers, Willets, Lesser Yellowlegs, Terns, Gulls, a single Long Billed Curlew, and literally 1000s of Black Necked Stilts. I was dumbfounded.

Here are just a few of the nearly 200 photos I took along the boardwalk in the salt flats...



One group of Black Necked Stilts


...and another


...yet, more


...still, more Stilts in another area


Along with the Stilts, a lone Little Blue Heron



Willets, Yellowlegs, and Black Necked Stilts


Willets, Yellowlegs and Stilts


Black Necked Stilts & a Snowy Egret


Caspian Tern


Stilt Sandpipers


Tri-colored Heron


Reddish Egrets


Horned Lark


Long Billed Curlew


Black Skimmer & Forster's Tern


Reddish Egret on the Chase!!


Loggerhead Shrike




Virginia Rail


ALL photos taken at Charlie's Pasture North - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat maps:  Rail, Yellowlegs, Little Blue Heron, Willet, Forster's Tern, Tri-colored Heron, Stilt Sandpiper, Reddish EgretShrike, Lark, Curlew, Caspian Tern, Skimmer,



Now share your birding experiences:







For being there about an hour before the open flats got too warm for this gal, I 'hauled in a lot of neat birds'!!!  I still had to stop and one more 'hot spot'....Paradise Pond.

For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

18 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh! I am in utter awe. Wonderful day. I remember looking across that pasture and thinking it looked like big boats were motoring through the field because you couldn't actually see the channel. And seeing birds too of course but never that many. Amazing! Thanks for the beautiful post, for the memories, and for hosting. Nice to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow and wow, what a wonderful day. So many birds, and I just love the stilts. Ever since I first saw them. I think I have seen two or three kinds and all are wonderful. So happy to see there are a lot of them. :)

    I usually don´t post the same one for WBW and Bird D´Pot. But todays eagle is the last species for Japan so I link up especially for you Anni. I might ad more later on as I have lots of images :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni,
    great to see these waders and there are really a lot!
    The pictures of the colored heron are fantastic. In the Netherlands they are or blue, or white or purple. With you they are more and more beautiful colors.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always nice to see these beautiful birds !!
    Gorgeous photos !!
    Happy weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a birdie cornucopia!

    And you got great shots.

    P.S. Stilts always make me laugh, they are so aptly named.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Astonishing to see that many long-legged wading birds!
    Have a great week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  7. A my mother often says...you must have felt like you had died and gone to heaven! heehee! What an amazing variety. And those reddish egrets are the craziest! I've never seen anything like them! It sure makes you glad you got up early and made the trip! I've seen some unusual birds this week so I may have to double up on posts! lol (I was looking at a big flock of ducks and an eagle flew over!!!) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. no doubt, you get incredible waterbird action in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow You are the Queen! Caspian Tern? Wow, just so much multiplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Anni!:) Wow!! So that is where all the Stilts went to!!:)) An amazing sighting. Great shots of all the birds, and I especially liked the Heron, and the Reddish Egrets, and the monochrome of the Reddish Egrets made me smile.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anni, this time is great to see all the migrating shorebirds. I love all the stilts, herons and egrets. The rail is a cool sighting too. Great post and photos. Thank you for hosting, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great bird watching spots, and a nice find of the guy from Houston with his info! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an incredible sight that must have been Anni. I enjoyed your photos and your narrative so much!!! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Tri-colored heron, reddish egret, the lovely chase picture!! These are some of my favorites. The chase picture is marvelous and should win an award. The bird in the back is literally off the water and you can see the splash where his rear foot was. Love the skimmer & Tern too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow!! I think I would even travel from Virginia to Texas just to see that many Stilts--they are a favorite!! What a great time! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was a banner day! 200 photos. Wow! The waters are ripe. We saw migrating white pelicans along the Mississippi this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dearest Anni; OMG!!! What an amazing post of all gorgeous rare (for me, haha) birds♫♫♫ And flocks, flying, reflections, proud close-ups; I enjoy all of the awesome photographs.
    This post seems like the proof of your having this meme(^_^)ï½– Thank you very much for hosting.

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents