Hawk Watch...


From August through November, the hawk migration is 'big' in South Texas. Here, near Corpus Christi...in Calallen, Texas - about 30 miles from my home, the Seasonal Hawk Watch is something to attend. Especially in September when there is one weekend that there are exhibits and vendors in the Park. I attended on Saturday, September 24th and posted photos on my personal blog, Hootin' Anni's. Anyway, what I was about to say, the most common hawk seen practically anywhere along the country roads here along the coast of Texas, you can spot WHITE TAILED HAWKS. They are quite easy to identify...they are the ONLY hawk that has longer wings than their tail.  When perched-as you can see in the first photo that follows; the longer wings...


WHITE TAILED HAWK [preening]
photos taken: Park Highway 22 - Padre Island National Seashore
habitat map: White Tailed



RED SHOULDERED HAWK [ID'd by forum]
photos taken - Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas
habitat map: Red Shouldered



RED TAILED HAWK
photos taken: County Road - Chapman Ranch Area, Corpus Christi
habitat map: Red Tailed


BROAD WINGED HAWK
photos taken: Rose Hill Cemetery - Corpus Christi
habitat map: Broad Winged


COOPER'S HAWK
photo taken: Leonabelle Wildlife Refuge - Port A, Texas
habitat map: Cooper's


SWAINSON'S HAWK
photos taken: County Roads between Corpus Christi & Chapman Ranch
habitat map: Swainson's


Note:  Mourning  the loss of our Winston,


Now share your birding experiences:








For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

19 comments:

  1. The white tailed is very fluffy! He almost looks like an immature. Great pictures, almost like they posed for you! Love your crow and skull header!! E.A. Poe would be proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your area hawk watch is really famous. It is amazing that Whit-tailed Hawks are so common, as I have seen them only once, in far south Texas (not during migration). Nice documentation of the various species, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous (and beautiful) hawk ID lesson! Thank you ... I'm bookmarking this post. No birds today from me sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have so many beautiful hawks. We have a few but rarely seen in my area.
    Thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni!:) Wonderful series of Hawk pictures.:) The Sparrow Hawk, has been around here, but I could never hope to see the many species of hawks that you see in your area. Interesting how the White Tailed Hawks's wings are longer than the tail, clearly visible in your first photo, and this is something I'm not likely to forget now. I always learn something new on your posts,.. thank you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are beauties. we get plenty of red-shouldered and a few red-tailed here. once in a blue moon a cooper's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful raptors this week. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful hawk photos!
    I saw a hawk today sitting on a power line beside the road, but it flew away before I could get a photo.
    Hope you are having a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anni, wonderful sightings of all the hawks. The hawk watches are happening here too, I wish I had more time and better weather to go. Great post and photos. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are fantastic photos of the hawks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First let me say that I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful kit-cat Winston...such a gorgeous cat...
    The Hawkwatch is something that I would so love to attend. There are many of them, but none close to where I live. Your images shares are grand. I am envious. You are blessed~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for your loss of Winston Anni. He certainly was a handsome cat. Thinking of you and sending you a big hug.

    Your hawk photos are great, must be thrilling to see so many migrating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to a hawk watch although they have some on the East Coast. Your pictures are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning Anni. And yes I'm back from Greece and able to join in today. You just have so many hawks over there that hawk watching is a real "must do" activity. Here we have so few hawks that doing a migration watch is not reallt possible. I enjoyed your pictures very much and in aprticular how to tell a White-tailed Hawk - such long wings.

    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, sorry to hear of Winston’s passing. The hawk photos are marvelous captures. Thanks for sharing your bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry about your loss too. I know how hard it can be. Your hawk photos are amazing...better for ID than the books I have! Hope you're having a good weekend. We went on a hike this morning and saw some neat birds. (even a Limpkin in flight which was exciting for me!) Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful raptor wrap-up, Anni.

    My condolences to you and your family over your treasured kitty.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incredible shots! Love the Swainsons in flight! Sorry I didn't post anything this week. It's hard to focus on anything but house-hunting these days!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely shots and especially love that second one of the Swainsons . Beautiful! Will join in one of these days soon!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents