I guess the birds don't care much of all the destructive construction work going on behind the pond. For us humans, the tearing down of some trees at the back side of the pond makes the once beautiful area a fright. Lately, tho, the last few times I've been there, there has been SOME migrant activity going on. Not much so far, but some!! Once, this beautiful female vermillion flycatcher posed for me...




I'm not real positive, but I'm thinking she is probably in her 1st year. Any expert opinion?!?!!
VERMILLION FLYCATCHER
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas [sept. 2016]
habitat map: Flycatcher
At another park, this black and white warbler stopped to pose...

BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER
photo taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Warbler
...a Thrasher did one better...it sang while posing! The Long Billed Thrasher is quite similar to the Brown Thrasher [as seen in my photo posted], but mostly darker eyes and grayer plumage. Found only in Southern Texas and Northern Mexico. The two thrashers have nearly identical habitat, often seen in the same areas...


LONG BILLED THRASHER
photos taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Thrasher
While walking the fishing pier I was looking for any sign of the Loon out in the bay water. No loons but the gull and heron posed for me. The gull left right away, but the curious heron remained...It walked the pier keeping an eye on me...stopped. peeked around the light pole, took another step, and flew off yonder...




GREAT BLUE HERON
photos taken: Fishing Pier at Indian Point - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Heron
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
beauties!
ReplyDeletenot sure shy, but some of your photos seem so cold. Early winter or late fall. I have a hot spot for flycatchers so your little female is my favorite. :)
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) I love those two splendid last shots of the Heron taking flight, and in flight captures. The sweet faces of the Flycatchers, are so charming,...love these little birds, and great shots of the two Thrashers. You really do need to be an expert to distinguish the differences between them, but they are both really handsome birds. Thank you for hosting, and enjoy your weekend.:)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds ! I really love them !
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend !
Wow, your flight shots of the heron are gorgeous! The little flycatcher is so cute! And in his last picture, he is looking down his tiny beak right at you and your camera! I have heard that Thrashers are very shy and hide a lot. I have only seen one once. A rare sight for me.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great heron shot, lifting off, with the ship in the background.
ReplyDeleteParticularly beautiful shots of the Vermillion. I rarely get to see them. One did show up in the Everglades a couple of years ago. It was a male. Don't remember ever seeing a female in my few other south Texas encounters.
ReplyDeleteThese birds look rather exotic to me... and they are all so beautiful. The black and white warbler is my favourite.
ReplyDeleteThank you for hosting! My bird photos, once more, are not very impressive but I'm very happy if I'm allowed to participate. :)
Have a lovely weekend!
So many pretty birds! I can't help with the first one but I sure love the markings on the thrasher! Happy weekend sweet friend! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteGorgeous! I love that puffed out little Flycatcher.
ReplyDeleteGreat Heron Shots!
ReplyDeleteYou saw some real pretty birds on your walk Anni, thank you for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots of the heron! Birds in action are fascinating.
ReplyDeleteA lovely aray of birds Anni
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. I'm interested in your ID remarks and yes, it is a little difficult to age some birds in the field at this time of year, if only it was always spring? As for separating the two thrashers, I think I'd best leave that to your local knowledge. Nice shots of the heron - sound like it wasn't too bothered about your being around. It just stopped raining here and too late in the day to go birding so guess I'll have to wait.
ReplyDeleteHave a birdy week.
Some lovely shots of your area birds. Looking forward to a coming soon trip to your area and anxious to see the cranes once again. Joining for the first time with your meme!
ReplyDeleteI either didn't know or had forgotten that there was more than one kind of thrasher. Thanks for that and as always for hosting. I think you have bird whisperer talents! To get all these different ones to pose for you, especially with construction going on, seems like a miracle. you are a really talented photographer as well!
ReplyDeleteAwesome post, Anni! Lots of wonderful birds at the different locations. I will be able to join in this coming weekend (amazing, I know! :-) ) Thanks for your comments about house-buying long-distance. I am so glad I haven't had to fly to OR with this deal...having the kids there to "check them out" sure helped! And now signing can be done electronically which has made it easier. But I have to say, I have never signed so many papers in my life!!! :-) Even closing will happen by going to a Title Co. here instead of having to physically be in OR for that. Another blessing. Hope you have an awesome week!
ReplyDeleteLot lovely birds yourself and also the link to the blog have great fun birds. I'm also linking again the next time because I have birds :-)
ReplyDeleteGrotejs, Helma
Lovely flycatcher, warbler, and heron, Anni!
ReplyDeleteI am so late. But I made it!
~
Whoa, Hootin' Anni! I did not realize that this site was yours. May we also display its header on SiteHoundSniffs.com? (My wife insists that I am getting older and more decrepit by the minute. Sigh.)
ReplyDeleteOh I do love, love it all Anni, and yet...have to choose my favorite, I simply must lol...the Long Billed Thrasher is a new one for me and wow is that a beauty. I also enjoyed the b&w Warbler and the Heron, OK I liked it all. Have a great week~
ReplyDeleteOh I do love, love it all Anni, and yet...have to choose my favorite, I simply must lol...the Long Billed Thrasher is a new one for me and wow is that a beauty. I also enjoyed the b&w Warbler and the Heron, OK I liked it all. Have a great week~
ReplyDeleteBeautiful series of pictures Anni.
ReplyDeleteThis time I have no bird blog, but blog about my hometown.
Best regards, Irma