Walking with Scissors...



Photo taken: Chapman's Ranch
-outside of Corpus Christi, Texas-

Oftentimes it's been called Texas Bird of Paradise. Commonly known as the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. It's of the kingbird family, with a very elegant, extremely long tail. The male more so than the female, but both have the graceful addition of a bit of a showcase...the tail feathers. The juvenile, on the other hand, has to grow and grow and grow!! Also, the bird frequents our area most of the year. Only during nesting season they become scarce.  In some instances, depending on the nature of the birds' songs, their call is very similar to the Black Necked Stilt, only not quite as loud.  Several times when I'm out birding on hiking trails, I think I hear a BNS, but it turns out to be a grouping of flycatchers

They are truly a beautiful bird, from a juvenile to adult, from non-breeding to the breeding plumage where the color combination doesn't change but becomes much more vivid!   Found throughout the state of Texas and marked vagrant in several areas across the country, they are one of my favorite subjects...


photos taken:  Hazel Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas


photo taken:  Hazel Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas


photos taken:  Charlie's Pasture - Port Aransas Texas


A JUVENILE
[very much resembles the kingbird -except for color -its parents were above on the wires]


photos taken: Hazel Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas

SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER
habitat map: flycatcher




Now share your birding experiences:






For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

22 comments:

  1. Very nice study of the beautiful Scissor-tail! They occasionally visit Florida as well as northern Illinois, causing quite a sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER was a bird I really wanted to see when I was in Costa Rica. We did see it from the bus but they never stopped. "There will be plenty of them later on" but that "later on" never happend :( Beautiful images :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really are fun to see but I don't think I've seen one here in FL. Very elegant! I have a little Blue Heron today but I hope you have time to look at my 'critter' too in another post...it's an Antlion! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your title! We do not have these birds. They are very stately for sure! My favorites are your first gorgeous picture, and the last one where he is tilting his head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We enjoyed watching these beautiful birds when we were in the country last week. Mockingbirds usually hold court on the power pole by our camper but this time the scissor tails were up there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love hearing their 'burbling' calls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anni, I am just totally in awe of your wonderful photos of this beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely study on a beautiful bird. Enjoy the rest of your weekend Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. clever title and smashing shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Anni. That's one great bird to have on your local patch. I thought we had one or two long tailed birds over here but as usual your Texas stuff is bigger and better! LOL.

    Have a lovely week. I will.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures of these beautiful birds.
    What this has a long tail, this species does not exist in Netherlands
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Anni!:) The flycatchers I see over here are lovely, and some are cute, but we have nothing to compare with this beautiful long tailed beauty. What a stunning looking bird. Thank you for sharing these beautiful images and for hosting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I messed up my link on the 1st try...accidentally put in yours instead, Anni.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What an exotic looking bird. I'd be so excited to see one. Even if they are common in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so wonderful Annie! I remember the first one I ever saw, i couldn't believe my eyes! (And I will give you 3 guesses where we were and the first two don't count).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearest Anni; What an elegant bird Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is ♡♡♡ Yes, the long tail caught my eyes instantly when I saw the first picture♪
    Thank you so much for your comment for the right post p:-) I REALLY appreciate your kindness♡♡♡

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw a scissortail just the other day. When I lived in Burton I saw them everyday, but not so much here so it was nice seeing one again. I think the scissor-tails, and the swallows, are the most graceful flyers. They're "storybookish," if that makes sense. Lol!

    They're elegant is what I'm trying to say.

    Although I do often battle with the swallows. They try and try to build their mud nests on our porches and lights, so every year we have to add strings of fishing line on all the porches and lights. They fuss at me over it, too. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We see them along power lines on the back roads around our area, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never saw them here .it's tail is very long but is really cute. I wonder why it is famous scissor

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are beautiful birds !!
    Great photos !

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents