On an early, early morning excursion along the North Charlie's Pasture at Port Aransas Texas*...just before sunrise, I was walking the path in all the quiet of the hour, enjoying the solitude. With the humid summer months, the prairie grasses have grown very tall, and the curves and blind corners show nothing until the unexpected looms in front of you!!



In their own quiet reverie, we all were a bit startled...they flew off!
But, by chance the next blind curve took my breath away!!

...and the massive exit kept my camera's shutter in fast motion...





NEOTROPIC CORMORANTS
[smaller in size & shorter tails than the very similar Double Crested Cormorant that are much larger]
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture North - Port "A" Texas* [locals call it Port A instead of Port Aransas]
...then this!


AMERICAN AVOCETS
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture South - Port "A" Texas
habitat map: Avocets
...and this!


WHITE IBIS - assorted Herons
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture North - Port "A" Texas
habitat map: Ibis
* This post is dedicated to my [ex] sister-in-law, who passed away this week Her smile and my memories of her will be everlasting.
Now, share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
W O W!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteMagnificent flocks!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear of your loss.
What a great day of waterbirding, Anni!
ReplyDeleteThe cormorants were all like, "There's a HUMAN on our boardwalk!!"
~
What an impressive sight with all these cormorants. I wish you a wonderful weekend!
ReplyDeleteAlfred Hitchcock would have leapt for joy! Love those Avocets. have yet to see one on our local wetlands although they are a possibility. Sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeletelove the first image. So cool. :)
ReplyDeleteand avocets are one of my top ten :)
Hello Anni, amazing numbers of Cormorants. I love the Avocets and Ibis. Great variety of birds and photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteYou had quite an experience!
ReplyDeleteSorry for my late contribution but I had a computer crash and had lost a lot of pictures. Now I'm back.
ReplyDeleteGreetings, Helma
awesome groups!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful shock you must have had! And I guessed right that they are cormorants. So many birds all in front of you flying away...I take this to be a wonderful and hopeful sign. Many blessings and beauty to you in your time of sorrow.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of the cormorants and egrets and avocets, so much together.
ReplyDeleteI love them all, my compliments.
Best regards, Irma
Wow !!!! Fantastic photos !!!
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend !
Hi Anni. Now I know you are a talented, admired and serious birder when you have your very own guard of honour to greet you. That first picture is to die for and I'm thinking there's a serious amount of fish in that water below?
ReplyDeleteAnd you have a wealth of Avocets and egrets to take advantage of all that food too. What are you guys putting in that water?
Good to hear you voted right. I guessed you would.
Have a great week.
What a great experience for a splendid birder!
ReplyDeleteThose are wonderful birds! My sympathies on your loss.
ReplyDeleteLiving where you do, you get the BEST bird sightings. I have only seen a single Avocet ever, and only a handful of Cormorants. I think that they awaited your arrival to show off for you. Just magnificent Anni~
ReplyDelete