As I mentioned in my previous post, at Oso Bay Wetlands I heard more Sandhill Cranes than I spotted. I thought then, after a couple of days since the walk in the Wetlands Preserve, I'd do a drive by shooting at an area that I had spotted several dozen cranes in 2015!! I had to stop once before arriving at the area when I saw a hawk on the power line. After getting its photo, I continued down the road. I hit pay dirt again!! I estimated 75-150 Sandhill Cranes. And nearly as many Black Bellied Whistling Ducks! This is a private ranch lake so I had to pull off the road the best I could and get out to take my camera in my hand and snap away!! If you look closely at all the photos, there ARE some 1st year cranes in the mix ---the light rusty crown instead of gray with bright red eye markings.









photos taken: Flour Bluff, Texas [a suburb of Corpus Christi]
habitat maps: Crane, Whistling Duck
Now, share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
so beautiful your cranes and ducks :) love it as they make me remember Japan :)
ReplyDeleteThese birds are really beautiful !!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos !!
Greetings
How nice to be able to find such a flock of cranes so nearby! Hope your stormy weather has settled down.
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni! I love the Sandhill Cranes and the cute Whistling Ducks. Awesome sighting! It is great to see any large flock of birds. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThat really is amazing! We have the Sandhills here but I've never seen that many together. WOW! I know you were thrilled. Tonight I walked over to a little pond nearby and there were lots of ducks and other birds. I came home and got my camera and went back! lol Enjoy your weekend! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteNeat! I don't think we have sandhills, at least not in my part of Virginia.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Anni.
ReplyDeleteYou really hit the jackpot there with so many Cranes. It's not a bird family we see here in the UK. I think a pair or two of Common Crane still breed in the south of England but it is kept very secret, for obvious reasons.
I think if I lived nearby I'd be trying to get permission to go into that rannch for a private viewing and pictures. I don't know what it's like in texas but here our farmers are mostly amenable when someone shows an interest in the wildlife on their land. Often, they themselves don't realise the interest taken by others.
Have a good week, and thanks for the chance to join in today.
Hello Anni!:) Wonderful sighting! It must be wonderful to actually see them so close to your home.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the chance of seeing the Sandhill Cranes and Black Bellied Whistling Ducks again.
As my post is photos of the African Penguins from a zoo, I can't really link up with you this week!:)
Congrats on that huge birdie party you discovered, Anni!
ReplyDelete~
Oh my gosh. That is absolutely amazing. We saw a pair of sandhills the other day, but all I got was butt shots. I have never seen so many in one place. And all the whistlers are a beautiful bonus. What an amazing day. I would have been so happy. Just looking at the pictures makes me smile hugely!!
ReplyDeleteVery very nice!! So many!! Of both species!! Would love to see them both someday! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat amazing birds. Thank you for their pictures. I have a question -- I see some of them have red around their eyes (that red is gorgeous) and some have black. Why? Are they two different species or male/female difference?
ReplyDeleteAnni, not disturbing them when you got out of the car was apparently done quite well...the entire flock (both cranes and ducks) appears unruffled...:)JP
ReplyDeleteAnni, I wish you a Merry Christmas !!
ReplyDelete