A Week of Not Much Birding...


Well, migration is well underway! I haven't been doing much birding, locally,  the last week or so.  A few days this past week, I've gone out of town to the Rockport area.  At home, one day I woke up to a violent rain storm that lasted the day...Thing is, road construction crews are lurking around every corner. The island highway is torn up...narrow, and being rebuilt. Also, one day I had planned on going to Indian Point Park...well, that was nixed. I turned around before going over Harbor Bridge to cross the ship channel and North Bay. Why? The entire six lane bridge was closed! For nearly 24 hours at that!!! There was a two semi-truck accident with a hazardous petroleum spill! One semi burned and it took several hours to get the fire out. Then, of course the TXDot  [Texas Department of Transportation] had to come in and inspect the damage on the Bridge. Ha!! They 'say' it's safe....but, seriously, do I want to believe that? There are two other ways of getting to Indian Point and Portland...both LONG drives! I waited a few days to see how it withstood heavy traffic before utilizing the bridge once again.  And speaking of migration....people [birders] are coming out of the woodwork!!! Stopping at a downtown park there were 18 vehicles at the park's curb!! Normally, on any other given day....none! Getting down into the park's first hill....people everywhere [migrating birds too!!!]. And to top that off, three couples that I know of had their DOGS with them. I must be sure I leave BEFORE daybreak and people are still breaking the fast and feeding their dogs at home...lol!!

Okay...'nough of my whining...
Here are some photos taken recently:




LITTLE GREEN HERON
photos taken:  Leonabelle Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Heron



AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN [with breeding 'horn']
photo taken:  Leonabelle Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Pelican



HOODED WARBLER [female]
photo taken:  Blucher Park - Downtown Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Warbler



GULL BILLED TERNS
photos taken:  Hans Suter Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Tern


INDIGO BUNTING
photo taken:  Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Bunting


AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER
photo taken:  Charlie's Pasture [North] - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Plover


GREATER YELLOWLEGS
photo taken:  Charlie's Pasture [North] - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Yellowlegs


RED WINGED BLACKBIRD
photo taken:  Tule Lake - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Blackbird



Now share your birding experiences:









For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

17 comments:

  1. Hello, Anni, sounds like a nightmare for people living in the area and the birders. You did get some great photos. One of my favorites is the Plover, very cute. I always love the Green herons. Great post. I hope things calm down there. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, beautiful birds!
    I have been trying to get an Indigo Bunting photo, but the ones here are very shy and skittish
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni, hay there's nothing like a good old whine to get the system clear, and anyway your entitled to a little whine when you turn out such superb photos.
    Take care, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with Eileen. Yuor roads seem to be a nightmare, and the weather too. Still, you get lots of great birdshots. Love the images of the GULL BILLED TERNS and the waders especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is disappointing when you can't get to where you want to go. Hope that improves this week! We have so many red winged blackbirds at the pond...you can hear them singing or trilling before you get there! Have a good weekend! Hugs1

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Green Heron has such bright red legs-- must be in prime breeding condition! Migration is slow here so far. Just back from three night stay on Sanibel Island on the Gulf coast and found few migrants there as well. They must all be going your way. Hope the transportation situation and the weather improve for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a mess for you and the other locals. But you did share some beautiful shots with us. Love the bunting and heron. Take care. Keep on birdin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots! Sorry to hear about the traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! Love the reflection shot and the indigo bunting! Look at you...waiting to see if anyone plopped into the drink from the failing bridge before you ventured forth! :-) Just teasing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love these beautiful birds !!
    Gorgeous photos !!
    Happy weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anni,
    Beautiful series of birds, I love them.
    My favorite are pictures 3 and 5.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad about all those road works Anni. Better to be safe than sorry though. As for birders with dogs, the less said the better but to a bird a dog is a predator.

    Never mind the traffic you have some fine photos today. yes the Red-winged Blackbird is my favourite as I guess I told you previously. It's the way they sing and flash those wing colours. And of course those waders. It's a long time since I saw both Yellowlegs and American Goldie.

    Have agreat week. Hope the roads get more negotiable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gorgeous Sunday post!! The pelican shot is amazing and gorgeous!! That is my favorite. Also the Red Wing and running Yellowlegs. We have seen a a bunting one time. Did you know their feathers are not really blue? It is an illusion because of the way the light disperses in their feathers. But I know you already know this, you know everything about birds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always enjoy your captures, Anni! I hope this week turns out to be better for your outings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Anni -- these are wonderful pictures and our two Aprils in your area were the most amazing birding I'm ever likely to experience. Sorry 'bout all the road construction and the noisy amateurs -- bummer. But oh gosh these pictures are just wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bless your heart, it does sounds as though it was more than a challenge to get out and about...don't you just so enjoy when it does work out so much better... That first image captured me a huge smile, if that is not adorable! You got such crisp images, those eyes in every one, is like looking right at them and the little Warbler is so sweet. Anni, I hope that this week is going so much better for you my friend. Happy trails to you~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my goodness, Anni, these are wonderful....wish I could get even half of them.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents