A Day at the Park...


I was told several weeks ago [over a month now] about a vagrant bird from Old Mexico visiting us at one of our local parks. One day last week, I was downtown for an appointment, and I thought...it's a good day to check to see if I could find it.  I started walking around. Another birder was there, and I was asked what I had seen. I said "I just got here, so nothing yet." I also mentioned I was looking for the visiting bird. With camera in hand, the other birder said "I just saw it...I'll show you where I found it." Yep, sure 'nough. It was there. But so far into the trees ... not enough light.   I scouted the rest of the park. Before I left, I returned to where we had seen it. It had moved, and was perched in a thicket. The lighting was somewhat better. Tho, I had to lean over a huge branch to get it into focus.  Not real GOOD focus, but at least I now have a photo record of this. A new bird for me...

A Clay Colored Thrush!!

Long ago the Clay Colored Thrush was named Clay Colored Robin. But in the years that followed the name was changed from robin to thrush . It's habitat range is the eastern side of Old Mexico and down into a bit of South America. Recently a couple have been frequenting Southern Texas [mostly the Rio Grand Valley], with Arizona and Southern California unconfirmed. The last I heard, it continues to share the park here in Corpus Christi with some other migrating birds.


 All photos below were taken at Blucher Park, downtown Corpus Christi...:





CLAY COLORED THRUSH
habitat map:  Thrush

I didn't stay at the park long [it's a small park] but that day I also photographed these...



WHITE WINGED DOVE
habitat map:  Dove



INCA DOVE
habitat map:  Dove



NORTHERN PARULA
habitat map:  Parula

...the following photos are honest to gosh DIFFERENT photos taken of ONE bird...the bird doesn't move much during the daytime hours unless startled, or their nest is intruded upon and threatened. They're night hunters.  At first glance, I thought it was a Chuck Will's Widow which, like clock-work, they arrive at this park yearly.   Then, while getting photos of it, I realized it was much smaller and stockier than the "Chuck", and not quite the same coloration even tho it was spotted under tree cover, I could see the difference [or thought so anyway].  Also, with this bird, the head is more rounded than that of the "Chuck".  I got four photos and stepped to the side to get more light on the subject, and it flew off.  That action also convinced me it wasn't a Chuck Will's Widow; the wing span wasn't long [wide] enough.  I'm now 99% sure it's a whip-poor-will, which would be the 2nd one I've ever seen in my life [the other one was in the late 1970s in Loveland, Colorado]. ..


EASTERN WHIP-POOR-WILL
habitat map: Whip-poor-will






Now, share your birding experiences:








For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

20 comments:

  1. Hello Anni, wow these are awesome sightings. My favorites are the Northern Parula and the Whip-Poor-Will. Thanks so much for hosting and I thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend! Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thrush is a great find! Beautiful Parula and Whip-Poor-Will too! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful intimate shots, Anni

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always amaze me with your vast knowledge and enthusiasm of and for birds. Your photos are wonderful! I think it's neat that you heard about a new bird so you went to the park and found the new bird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow !! These birds are really beautiful !!
    Happy Easter, dear friend !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Clay Colored Thrush should apply for US citizenship!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats to the CLAY COLORED THRUSH. So nice to see the ones you waited for :)
    The whip-poor-will seem to be an interesting bird as well an so do NORTHERN PARULA.

    Wish you a great Easter holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so good at IDing birds ... how wonderful to see both of these ... and how humbling (for me) to realize that I would almost surely have walked right past both of them without noticing. Unless you were leading a bird walk I was on. Let me know if you d cide to do that! I'll magic carpet myself to North Padre island anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really are amazing! And it's fun to see a visitor and make him welcome! We have a pair of Canada geese at the pond right now and that seems odd! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why they had thought the Thrust was some kind of Robin. I think thrushes are also shy and like to hide. Wow, a Whip Poor Will!!! What an exciting find. I have never seen one. It does look like a Chuck Will's Widow!! They look almost identical. what an unbelievable post today, so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the Clay Colored Thrush and the Parula! Fascinating to find such a rare bird and get such great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always exciting to see a new bird.Lovelthe shots. HApy Easter Anni

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did swell there Anni. A Clay coloured Thrush and a Whip-poor-Will. I saw one of those many years ago (in the hand) but didn't get to ring (band) it. That honour went to the Canadian girl; quite right too.

    Thanks for the link-up today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots- love to see the rare ones that I never get to see. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seeing a new bird is always fun! I had a new lifer this week too, a Eurasian Collared Dove. So pretty! I'd love to see a Parula up this way - what a beautiful bird. Thanks for hosting, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Anni,
    Wonderful array of birds, photo 9 is my favorite.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always, have such a collection of beauties, Anni!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  18. We used to sit on our front porch after dark, when I was a kid and listen to the whip-poor-wills. Then when I went to bed...I put my pillow on the windowsill and laid there and listened to them. So, as you can probably guess, Also, there is a song I just love called Whippoorwill...you can listen to it here. It is sort of different. I debated putting it here but thought what the heck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am late, late, late...The Whip-Poor-Wills are truly one of those magical birds that I desire hearing and seeing once again. We used to have some 30 to 35 years ago both Whip-Poor-Wills and Chuck-Wills-Widow nesting near by and in the early evening, I would open the door and listen to their music. I miss them. I have only seen them I do believe in image shares, not in real life. Night Jars, all of these kind are very special birds and you were blessed to get such wonderful shares. Now I shall await your new post, now that I caught up with this one...my week, no excuses, and yet every one is very real ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! I have been away from blogging, so I am trying to catch up! It's gonna take some time tho... Gotta say, the Clay Colored Thrush is pretty awesome! but the Whip-poor-will... wow! There is NO way I would have taken that for a bird! I would have walked right on by, even if it were singing away...and not even considered it! Great finds!! As always! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents