Courting...Nesting and Youngsters...


Along the trail, a male Bronzed Cowbird was busy trying to attract the female who was feeding in the grass alongside the edge of the path. She really wasn't impressed at the moment! But he was definitely persistent.


BRONZED COWBIRD
photos taken: Oso Bay Wetlands - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Cowbird


Walking along the boardwalk at the Salt Flats of Charlie's Pasture North, I was being reprimanded and partially attacked along the way...by a Willet.  There was a second one in the muddy marshland nearby, but another persistent bird - it continued to call threats and diving flyovers over my head as I snapped some photos of the action.  Once I was out of range, the two settled down and became still.  Only thing is, once I ended my trail walking, I had to turn around and go back the way I came!!


WILLET
photos taken:  Charlie's Pasture North - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Willet


A Scissortailed Flycatcher zoomed down near me as I entered the gate to the wetlands. It flew too quickly out of camera range for me to get any photo. I walked my total step count and then, just as I was nearing the car afterward, I noticed another flycatcher flying above me once again. Was it the same one? I followed its flight with my eyes only to see if it would perch somewhere nearby. It did! It landed on the power line just ahead of me. I focused on it and got a few pictures. Another, second one, flew in! Landed close by the first one. They chatted a bit. The 2nd one took off just a short distance from the first...into the power line connections at the power pole! Aha. A NEST!

How exciting! One of the prettiest of flycatchers and I may be able to see some chicks! Well, after the two left in search of more food, I walked around the pole with my head to the sky in hopes of getting a glimpse of some nest activity. Not much, and the two adults quickly returned. I left in order to not disturb them. But, I kept them in mind for a couple of more days and hoped to return to see any progress...




- - -


A couple days later, Bud and I decided to go back and see if there were any visible chicks. When we parked there was nothing. No activity at all. We walked the area and arrived at the observation tower on the bay shore. The sea breeze was blowing in on us, the only birds on ground were two Black Necked Stilts. They too have a nest, and the previous visit the female was sitting on it. But on this 2nd trip back, the nest seemed abandoned and we figured hawks or coyotes [some predator] got the eggs?!!

We returned to the flycatcher nest and watched from a distance with our binoculars. I saw one over-sized head pop up from the nest's edge when one adult [the female] came in with an insect in her beak. I took more pictures! After several minutes watching and photographing the rituals, we left. As I was taking the photos off the camera card at home, I see there were THREE chicks!! [one photo I used arrows to point them out]


SCISSORTAIL FLYCATCHER
photos taken Oso Bay Wetlands - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Flycatcher


- - -

As for the Black Necked Stilt's nesting, on the 2nd time visiting, it looked empty. Two, the male and female were in the area close by the second day there, but they both left shortly after we arrived to not return...


BLACK NECKED STILT
photos taken: Oso Bay Wetlands - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Stilt

Lost and Found:

Black Necked Stilt Egg [from a different area]:






Now, share your birding experiences:












For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

18 comments:

  1. Hello Anni, watching the baby bird and nest is awesome. I would love the see the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. The Stilts are pretty birds, I hope their nest is ok. Thanks for hosting. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing photos today. Loved to see the scissor-tailed flycatchers nestlings.

    This is one good thing with teh linkups. You see lots of things you never will in real life. :) Thanks Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had some exciting findings of several beautiful bird species. The Willets must have had a nest very nearby. Just love the flycatchers and you were lucky to find the nest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do an excellent - a professional - job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...you captured some marvelous images, I love the birds in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always such fun to get home with your photos and zoom in to see what you may have missed! 3 babies in the nest...how sweet! You do take the best pics. LOVE the flycatchers! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of the Flycatchers!
    This is the first time I have seen a photo of a Willet in flight. It made me realize that they are much prettier birds than I had thought
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic photos of everything, I love the Willets, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anni, stopping back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Great collection of birds and photos. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one determined and intense looking Willet! I love seeing the Cowbird's little courtship dance. Gosh, look at that Flycatcher's tail!!! You are an expert on getting hard to snap photos, and once again you have done it! The Stilt amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful series of birds images.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work in sussing out those nesting birds Anni. Those Willets were so indignant that you should be close to their babies weren't they. The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher nest is really quite substantial and fairly obvious, once you know when and where to look. Shame about the stilts and we've had the same problems around here with ground nesters and unknown predators - it's like they never give up.

    Thanks for the chancce to join in today. And enjoy your week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, nice capture of the nesting activity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Anni,:) It's always exciting to find a nest, with chicks, good spotting of them. The Scissortail must be among the most beautiful of Flycatchers. Love the shots of them with open wings. Lets hope the chicks do well. The threatening behaviour of the Willets could only have been to protect their nest,...I never knew they had those very attractive black/dark brown, and white feathers on their underwing. A sorry tale about the Stilts, and that lone egg,...what a shame! Many thanks for your interesting narrative and amazing captures.:) I always come away, more well informed than when I arrived. Thank you for hosting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Such a great montage of pictures! I am guessing that the Scissortails are native to your area... We have spotted a couple in this part of VA, but I personally did not see them! However, I did see a lost Fork-tailed Flycatcher... a few times now! Loved seeing the reddish coloring under the wings! Sad about the Stilt egg, but love the pictures! And what about that Willet?? Good protector! I look forward to seeing them in my area soon... Thanks for sharing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting post which took me back a few years, I think the Willet was the first wading bird I saw on my first visit to the US. The sissortail I have never seen, what an awsome place to nest.
    Take care, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful time of year to be a bird lover. The black necked stilts are so cool, how do they hold themselves up?! My cowbirds are unkind!!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents