Two Birds with one blog...


I've read in guide books and online that Egrets canopy feed [here is my example of a reddish egret canopy feeding]....which means, in essence, the use of wings like an umbrella opening as the bird feeds, creating shadows and making fish more easily visible to the feeder/bird. Also, fish are attracted to shadows [nature shows us fish hide in shadows for safety]. Okay then, the other day I witnessed for the 2nd time*** a beautiful tri-colored canopy feeding. As I stood there and watched the heron, it also did the famous 'reddish egret dancing', yet seemed to be unsuccessful. Now my question is, have you other birders ever seen any birds besides the reddish egret make use of the canopy feeding technique, or is this a new learned skill that has recently been passed on from just a few generations?! I'm really curious. Oh, and I must add, that while watching the tri-colored feed like the egret does, admitting that with its blue, purple, and white plumage, it makes for a pretty colorful ballet [not to impugn the egret skillful dance] !
***the first time I saw this maneuver with two different species, there was a reddish egret AND a tri-colored heron within arm's reach of each other, searching for fish in a pond. I assumed the tri-color was taking to watching the egret's hunting skills and learning as it remained close to the egret as if following the leader.


TRI-COLORED HERON
photos taken:  Indian Point Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Heron


- - -


A couple of weeks ago, at a park in town I've never visited before, I was on the hunt for a Magnificent Frigatebird that was reported being spotted at the banks of the bay at the very park. I didn't find the frigatebird, but I did see a couple of Loggerhead Shrike Youngsters/Fledglings! National Geographic calls them 'impalers' since their prey is usually hung on a sharp object [for instance a tree branch], before the loggerhead consumes its catch.  I don't understand the bad rap! LOOK AT IT THIS WAY: Most all animals either hunt and kill or clean up after an accidental death.  Shrikes just may  hunt in a different way, but they are survivors...it works for them. 


LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
photos taken:  South Bay Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Shrike



Now share your birding experiences:







For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

19 comments:

  1. Hi Anni. I was about to post a house sparrow from Australia but changed my mind. Instead I linkup the Bell minor I had on Saturdays Critters. A more interesting bird. I hope you like the Bell Minor, I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Anni!! From your first picture, I got goosebumps, and just knew this would be a special post! I could hardly wait while scrolling, because I was hoping so much you would show the Canopy Feeding! Wonderful, wonderful pictures! My favorites today are the first small picture (it is a beauty) and the third canopy shot. Marvelous shots of herons doing what not many people would know about! We have seen quite a few Blue Herons, and we have never seen them do this, not even in bright sun. They stay very still, then JAB! So now I am wondering if not ALL kinds of Herons do this. Well, I am off to Bells Lane to go birding. I have my eye on a newly hatched nest of Mockingbirds. Oh, of course you are right about the Shrikes (which I call Masked Bandits). I guess they just like their meat tenderized before eating it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wood Stork commonly shades with one wing while stirring the water with its opposite leg. Since they are tactile feeders they rely on that behavior of the prey fish which you mentioned-- seeking safety in the shade and into the open jaws of the stork. I also took videos of a Reddish Egret and Tricolored Heron dancing and canopy-feeding together. The size difference between the two really surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Anni, beautiful shots of the egrets and herons. I love the trocolored heron. The Shrike is a cool bird, great photos. Thanks for hosting and thank you also for linking up to my critter party. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni!:) Amazing and clever behaviour of the Tri-coloured Heron and Egrets, and you got great shots of the beautiful heron canopy feeding. Super captures of the juvenile Loggerhead Shrike Anni. They are really good looking birds, and the name "Impalers" does seem harsh! Thank you for hosting, and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Anni
    Beautiful Heron photos!
    When I read this post about canopy feeding, I remembered the Pelicans I saw at Pickwick Lake, so I have posted a photo from that time.
    Tomorrow I will publish the post I had originally scheduled to add to your meme this week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your 'feathered friends' photos are magnificent ~ I am not a 'birder' but love all creatures great and small ~ lovely post ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting. I didn't really know that this was a method used by these birds. I'll have to pay more attention in the future. Enjoy your weekend and thanks for a great party! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness, the shrike looks like a sweet bird! I guess looks are deceiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really informative post, backed up by some awsome photos.
    Take care, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An inormative post Anni. And you captured the feeding technique superbly. My amswer is that I have not seen our own Little Egret or Grey Heron canopy feed but I'm sure I saw Pond Heron do it in India - it's a number of years ago.

    As for your pictures of Loggerhead Shrike. Well they are superb. I do raather like this time of year when young birds can be more confiding and yet to learn not to trust us humans. Innocence is bliss.

    Have a great week ahead and thanks for today's link up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was interesting to learn about the canopy feeding! Great photos of the egrets and the shrike!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so very interesting, great information and captures!! i like the masked bandit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting info about Canopy hunting or feeding. Thank you. We have the Northern Shrike here and I have seen one only twice and got a very poor image. I keep trying.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful post and your images are gorgeous. I want to go and find myself a heron now to see it cannopy feeding!
    The shrikes are stunning!
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How neat that you experienced the feeding "ritual", Anni! and that Shrike is beautiful! Great capture! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty cool feeding ritual. Have never seen it here with any of the usual suspects! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just realized the only place and time I have ever seen "canopy feeding" ( I think) before and that was that silly video about animals. Now I have a new item for my bird photography bucket list. I want to see this live! :)

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents