On a day, late in the month of September, I was walking along all the hilly trails of West Guth Park just outside of the metro area of Corpus Christi. I came upon one of the disc golf baskets [there is an 18 'hole' game in and around the park] with two birds of the flycatcher family...the scissortailed and the western kingbird. I started taking pictures from a far distance of the two...
...then I realized there were THREE different birds on the very same basket! The third one was down below the two previously mentioned. A female Vermilion Flycatcher [and no that is not a typo...with most guide books and websites, vermilion is spelled with ONE "L" -only a few have it spelled with two "Ls"]. The way to ID the kingbird as Western instead of Couch's or Tropical is the size and white outer tail feathers. The Western is the only one with white on the tail!!




SCISSORTAILED FLYCATCHER - WESTERN KINGBIRD - VERMILION FLYCATCHER
photos taken: West Guth Park

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now, share your birding experiences:
Hello Anni, what a great sighting to see all three of these birds sitting together. Two would be lifers for me, the Scissortail Flycatch and the Western Kingbird. I have seen the Vermilion Flycatcher, the male is a beauty. All these birds are gorgeous. Great photos.
ReplyDeleteThank you for hosting. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!
Beautiful birds!
ReplyDeleteAnd getting all three together - Wow!
Hope you are having a great week-end!
What a bonus! It was a meeting!
ReplyDeleteIt took me an hour to figure out that central time is an hour behind us!!! Hah. Don't tell the kids!
that was a nice surprise :) Gorgeous birds all of them and great shots :)
ReplyDeleteThat's quite the catch for one basket.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! Three different birds on the same basket...pretty cool!
ReplyDeleteWhat fantastic photos.
ReplyDeleteWow !! How wonderful to see all these beautiful birds !!
ReplyDeleteThis bird with a red belly is just cute !!
Have a happy weekend !
Hi Anni. To me those pictures look very remarkable. To see one would be welcome but to go on and see all three species so close togther like that is quite special. I wonder if you are getting out and about now? As usual, when these things happen, the news from Texas disappears to be overtaken by the latest story.
ReplyDeleteStay safe, and thanks for the link-up today.
Wow!! What a great walk that was! Three exquisite birds to find! Wow! We have Eastern Kingbirds, but the others would certainly be out of the ordinary! The Scissor-tailed has been known to be around 'once in a while' here, but it is a rarity! Love the red on the Vermilion Flycatcher! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!
ReplyDeletethey are so sweet looking, colorful too. what a catch!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos (as always!). What great luck to find 3 interesting birds hanging out together like that.
ReplyDeleteThey are all beautiful birds, Anni!
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you for hosting. Have a great new week!
ReplyDeleteThat is a great photo, unusual to get 3 different birds in one photo. I did manage to get 2 types of sparrows in a photo this week. Hope things are going well for you.
ReplyDeleteAnni, great captures. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteVery nice! That is better than a bushel basket full of flycatchers!
ReplyDeleteI thought of 'birds of a feather flock together' but in this case...birds of all kinds getting along well. Makes me happy! Oh...and we DID get to hike today and saw something amazing that I'll share next week. (a hint...a little blue heron that wasn't blue! heehee) Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteOh Anni, they are so cute sitting there on the disc golf basket like that! Wonderful photos.
ReplyDeleteyou have the best bird karma! Can't believe you caught all three of these beautiful little perchers in one basket.... fabulous pictures, wonderful birds. Thank you so much for hosting. (I'm always in a bit of hurry Saturday afternoon, and then I forget to come back and comment after I link. Loved your post then, love it now. Your amazing pictures are always worth a second or third .... look! Thanks for sharing them. Sure hope the hurricane cleanup goes fast arouond all your favorite birding areas... I sure wonder what we'll find when we go back to FL end of next month
ReplyDeleteEach one is so stunning in their own way, Anni and I, to, would have been elated about this find!...:)JP
ReplyDelete