Since I haven't done too much birding the past couple of months; with no favorite areas to visit these days [the news is telling me now that it will be about 3-5 years for Port Aransas's birding hot spots to be evaluated and re-established from the damages of Hurricane Harvey] -- these photos this week are from previous outings nearby or BEFORE the storm...
Today is my participation of the American Heart Association's 5K walk! Wish me luck!! lol

RUDDY TURNSTONE
photo taken: Indian Point Park
habitat map: Turnstone

KILLDEER
photo taken: Hazel Bazemore Park
habitat map: Killdeer

HORNED LARK
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture North [before the Hurricane -it's now inaccessible]
habitat map: Lark

SNOWY PLOVER
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture [before the Hurricane]
habitat map: Plover

LEAST TERN
photo taken: Packery Channel Beach [Zahn Road]
habitat map: Tern

NORTHERN GANNET
photo taken: Port Aransas [near ship channel - before Hurricane]
habitat map: Gannet

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now, share your birding experiences:
Wow, those are really sharp and beautiful photos. Especially loved the Gannet. I only got to Charlie's Pasture before the hurricane but it was midday and oppressively hot. Our family visit was non-birding, so our excursion lasted only minutes! That area was so obviously exposed to the ravages of Hurricane Harvey.
ReplyDeleteSo so beautiful. Love the first shots particularly. Good luck with the heart walk!
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely birds captured beautifully! I've never seen these birds before and I hope to see some, if not all of them someday.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes for your walk!
We recently saw a Turnstone, and a Killdeer. Both in the same place. The Turnstones are so colorful! I love the way they drill in the dirt and grass. The lark looks dark and mysterious. The little Plover is adorable! The Tern is a masked bandit. And the Gannet closeup is brilliant!!! I hope you are doing well in the run!!! I also hope it is not too hot! Cannot WAIT for the details.
ReplyDeletebeautiful images of the different species. Sorry to learn the birds habitat was destroyed during the storm. And that it will be many years for it to recover. But hopefully it will. And maybe faster then they think, but then it can be changed with other species :)
ReplyDeleteIt's so sad about the habitat destruction... I really wonder what we'll find when we go back to Florida this year. I love the turnstones and kildeers always make me smile. I wish I could see a gannet (we saw some in Alaska that one time, but never down here).
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, great post and lovely birds. My favorites are the Snowy Plover and Least Tern.
ReplyDeleteThank you for hosting. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week!
It is so hard to imagine how much a big storm effects all life.
ReplyDeleteYour images are wonderful.
Beautiful birds! Today's favorite - the Gannet
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting this fun meme
Oh Dear Anni. That is such a shame, losing all those wonderful birding sites to the hurricane. I suppose the main thing is that you are both safe. I'm thinking though that it won't be long before you and Bud explore a little and find some new spots that you can bird. Good luck with that 5km walk and thanks for allowing me to join in today.
ReplyDeleteGood luck.
Hello again!
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question about the Heron on the channel marker. The Tennessee River is not a tremendously wide river except where the nine dams form lakes along its 650 mile length. The dams generate electricity, so the water is often very turbulent near the turbines (intake and outflow). The Heron on the channel marker was at Pickwick Lake very close to the Dam.
And the Coots on my blog post earlier in the week are on the opposite side of the lake from the Heron on the channel marker. The Coots are near a recreational area that has a boat dock, picnic tables, etc.
ReplyDeleteAnni, Harvey was destructive, but birds are generally far more resilient than birders realize. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHope your heart walk went well! Love all your photo. Hope the bird habitat recovers faster and sooner than expected.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of these beautiful different species.
All perfectly photographed, my compliments.
Best regards, Irma
Beautiful photos of the birds Anni, especially that last shot. I hope everything went well at the walk.
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a good walk...I'm proud of you for doing that! And my hubby and I both looked at your photos today...wonderful! We can't wait to get back out now that the weather is changing. Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteI hope the linking for your post has now been fixed!
ReplyDeleteWow--great bird pictures! Want to see a Snowy Plover still, and a Ruddy Turnstone! Someday! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I hope you did well! These are wonderful shots- thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteA great collection of shorebirds, Anni. The Plovers are my favorite!!...:)JP
ReplyDelete