NOTE: The 118th annual CBC [Christmas Bird Count by Audubon] begins December 14th, 2017 and runs thru January 5th, 2018. It all began to COUNT birds instead of hunting them to extinction! It's a great activity for all family members. Keep a chart, tally the count and species. Try and 'break' your record from the previous year. And for fun...post your total count on your birding blog entry on January 6th/January 7th to share with us all.
The same morning I walked Labonte Park searching for the Ringed Kingfisher, after I returned to the car, I then drove to Hazel Bazemore Park in Calallen, Texas. Adding to my day's step count, I walked around the park, into the tree lined boardwalk and around the pond, uphill to the hawkwatch platform. I would now have the platform to myself since the 'watch' time expired on November 15th.
The same morning I walked Labonte Park searching for the Ringed Kingfisher, after I returned to the car, I then drove to Hazel Bazemore Park in Calallen, Texas. Adding to my day's step count, I walked around the park, into the tree lined boardwalk and around the pond, uphill to the hawkwatch platform. I would now have the platform to myself since the 'watch' time expired on November 15th.
I spotted these:




GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER [male with red on crown...female lacks the red]
photos taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Woodpecker

BLACK CRESTED TITMOUSE
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Titmouse

Hawkwatch platform


RED SHOULDERED HAWK
photos taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Hawk


NORTHERN CARDINAL [gray female and red male]
photos taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Cardinal

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now share your birding experiences:
Hello Anni, your had a great outing. wonderful birds sightings, I love the two Woodpeckers together. The Black crested Titmouse would be a new bird for me. Great photos.
ReplyDeleteThank you for hosting and for linking up and sharing your post. I appreciate your visit and comment too. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.
GOSH, look at the crest on that titmouse! looks like he has been combing it up! They are the cutest little guys. We have them here, but not the black crested. I love to watch them walk upside down on the tree trunks. The woodpecker is beautiful, and sure has big feet! And you caught the hawk scolding you! I love saying hi to your little owl each time I visit. I bought quite a few owl decorations for Christmas this year, and I can leave them up all winter. There is a Snowy Owl in our area now. Seems each year, there is one. Birders are following his trail and are so excited.
ReplyDeleteThe Golden-fronted Woodpecker surprised me by its understated beauty. While I had seen them before, they were up close and personal at Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle. That was also where I saw my first Black-crested Titmouse. Very nice selection of photos!
ReplyDeleteThat would be neat to be part of a 'bird count'! I had a hawk fly in front of my car today...I almost hit it! A little too close for comfort. Then I saw a Kestrel on a line. A nice day for a trip to the library but I didn't take my camera! lol Hope you are warm and safe this weekend! Can't believe the crazy cold weather! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteAll are beautiful birds and beautiful photos :)
ReplyDeleteWe do have some bird counts too but I think it is a garden count over one weekend. I don´t have a garden so I donĂ¥t pay much attention to it.
Have a great weekend.
Hi Anni...I am alive, I am here, just been down for a while, doing one day in front of the other. You know the feeling...right? Your Red-Shouldered Hawks are wonderful, so close you got too. The Cardinals, don't you just love them...their songs are so sweet. I will try and stay focused...just hard sometimes. Hugs to you dear one.
ReplyDeleteAre you on Facebook? If so, how do I find you?
Anni, enjoyed viewing the great photos from your birding trek. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteNice pictures! It's interesting how there are little but significant differences between species.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteGreat Hawk photos!
Have a wonderful day!
I love that woodpecker, Anni! Wonderful shots.
ReplyDeletePS: Thanks for hosting, Nick
ReplyDeleteThank you for hosting again this weekend. I appreciate your visit and comment too. Great woodpeckers, doing what it says on the tin. That was a good move of yours going to the hawkwatch point when most people have given up as I'm sure there will always be something to see, more so if you are partly hidden by that structure?
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday. See you soon.
Love the woodpeckers! But the hawks shots are my favorite!
ReplyDeleteI have photos of some of my Christmas pixies this morning and hope you have a chance to pop in for a visit! Holiday hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteLove the woodpeckers and the hawk! Great shots and thanks for the bird count reminder!
ReplyDeleteAt first glance, I thought Red-bellied Woodpecker... but then I saw the yellow/gold on the beak and knew it was something different! Very cool to see them! And the Black-crested Titmouse... oh my! I LOVE the Tufted Titmouse that we see out here...would LOVE to see yours too! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!
ReplyDelete