See note in red, below the photos.
Sometimes IDing hawks are quite a challenge. Especially when they're juvenile hawks. So many resemble other hawks that are young. I've been told that broad winged hawks have pointed wing feathers when perched, that is one prevalent distinction. But, then, the color pattern of a juvenile Red Tailed Hawk is so similar!! My 2nd set of photos today are, I'm hoping, a juvenile Red Tailed Hawk. But, if it's a Broad Winged, please advise me....I appreciate the assistance and ways of telling the differences!
Sometimes IDing hawks are quite a challenge. Especially when they're juvenile hawks. So many resemble other hawks that are young. I've been told that broad winged hawks have pointed wing feathers when perched, that is one prevalent distinction. But, then, the color pattern of a juvenile Red Tailed Hawk is so similar!! My 2nd set of photos today are, I'm hoping, a juvenile Red Tailed Hawk. But, if it's a Broad Winged, please advise me....I appreciate the assistance and ways of telling the differences!


WHITE TAILED HAWK
photos taken: Along Mustang Island Highway
habitat map: White Tailed


RED TAILED HAWK - juvenile [but...are these pointed wings? Could it be a Broad Winged?]
photos taken: Hazel Bazemore Park
habiat map: Red Tailed


NORTHERN HARRIER
photos taken: Hazel Bazemore Park
habitat map: Harrier


PEREGRINE FALCON
photos taken: 1st - Mustang Island 2nd - Padre Island National Seashore
habitat map: Peregrine


HARRIS'S HAWK
photos taken: Hazel Bazemore Park
habitat map: Harris's
This will be my last week for the year for posting images of my birding days in 2017. Bud and I will be entertaining our guest that will arrive here on the 20th, until after the holidays. I will resume posting about our birding adventures on January 6th, 2018 when I will have a linking tool set to post that day. MAY YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES, FRIENDS AND FAMILY, HAVE A GLORIOUS HOLIDAY SEASON. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Keep counting those birds. I look forward to a new year and everyone sharing some more beautiful birds across the globe.
Love, Anni.
Love, Anni.

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now share your birding experiences:
Beautiful hawk shots. Yest that is a Red-tailed Hawk. The "V" shaped white marking on its back is a very useful indicator (when it is there!). Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family. Thanks for hosting us this year and years psst!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. I am sharing two dippers today, and the american dipper will be the last post for US birds. Not many birds on that trip. From next year I will mostly post Swedish birds, if they comes around.
ReplyDeleteI wish you and your husband a merry christmas and a Happy New Year with friends and family.
See you next year.
Love your beautiful hawks, Anni! The are such amazing creatures and I love them all. You got great photos of each one! We have some fields here where the hawks perch on the irrigation wheels or even just sit on the ground watching for mice and other prey. You can sometimes see ten or twelve in one area. I want to get a photo, but I've only once been able to catch one hawk...as soon as you stop the car, even if you aren't terribly close, they all take flight. I'll get them at some point! They all seem to have a white patch on their breasts.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds of prey!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!
Happy New Year!
I find hawk id almost impossible when the young are added to the mix. Great pictures.Have a Wonderful Christmas.
ReplyDeleteIt's so great when you can get your photos together and see some of the differences! I love those dark red colors in the Harris's Hawk! We had the BIGGEST treat today that I wanted to tell you about. We heard some honking and walked out onto our driveway and looked up and saw HUNDREDS of Sandhill Cranes! There was one flock after another, all flying South! I even sat down to load the pics onto my computer and we heard MORE and back out we went to take more pics! It was exciting to say the least! I'll save my photos for after the holidays. Have a Merry Christmas my friend! Holiday hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteThese are gorgeous hawk pictures! I have never heard of a White tailed Hawk, but he sure is a beauty! We have lots of Red Tailed and Red Shouldered, and a Harris is around somewhere. Your Harris picture is a real beauty! I hope you have a warm and wonderful holiday, Anni!! I will miss you, even for a short time.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous shots of these raptors. The Harris's Hawk sure is a beauty. Wishing you and your family Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Also, wishing you the best birding ever in 2018.
ReplyDeleteYour photos of the hawk in flight are superb! Merry Christmas to you and yours!
ReplyDeleteHappy Christmas to you and your family. beautiful images Anni
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. In some ways I envy the variety of hawks and raptors you have in North America. But on the other hand it must make for some difficult IDing. Luckily, or not, we don't have the same situation here in the UK. On balance I think I would love to see and photograph all those raptors, even if sometimes I could not ID one or two. Enjoyed your pictures today and of course as always thank you for the link-up.
ReplyDeleteHappy Texas Holidays to you both.
Hello, Anni! Great collection of raptors. I see a few I am missing, the Harris's Hawk is beautiful. Merry Christmas to you and your family! Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and week ahead!
ReplyDeleteAnni, may Bud and you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thanks for sharing. Will visit again in 2018.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of the raptors.
I also wish you a magical Christmas and a happy new year.
Best regards, Irma
Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and health, happiness and prosperity for the New Year, Anni!
ReplyDeletehttp://nixpixmix.blogspot.com.au/2017/12/black-white-birds.html
I find hawk id almost impossible when the young are added to the mix. Great pictures.Have a Wonderful Christmas.
ReplyDeleteหนังตลก
A bit behind with the holidays but hope you had a wonderfully Merry Christmas. Hope you have a wonderful and happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a wonderful Christmas !!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year !!
I hope you are enjoying the holidays! Hawks are beautiful but almost scary looking when diving for food
ReplyDeleteThese photos are just marvelous, Anni. Enjoy your time away...Happy New Year!...:)JP
ReplyDeleteI tell you I am about worthless when it comes to IDing hawks....about the time I think I know one, I discover I don't. LOL Loved seeing these. I need to remember to check this blog out regularly, even if I don't join. Love the Falcon and Harris Hawk....
ReplyDelete