A Snipe, Some Pelicans, A Heron and Grackles...



WILSON'S SNIPE
photos taken:  Pollywog Ponds
habitat map:  Snipe


AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
photos taken:  Han Suter Wildlife Refuge
habitat map:  Pelican
[ps, compare size ratio with the Roseate Spoonbill - the Spoonbill ranges from Length: 28-32 inches; Weight: 2.6 - 4 pounds; Wingspan: 50 inches ...the pelicans are massive]


YELLOW CROWNED NIGHT HERON
photos taken:  Feeder Ditch to the Bay
habitat map:  Heron

A bit of comedy relief!! These birds were trying to get out the gusty winds coming off the gulf, and warming themselves with the sunlight!!   So, they used the wheel well of a pickup truck, and cozied up on the warm rubber of the tires... Genius!!!




For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



17 comments:

  1. I love love love this post, and it is one of my favorites of yours! The wheel well shot is so cute! Glad you spotted it. And the other birds, oh MY!! These herons always look so sneaky and secretive. I have only ever seen one once or twice. The Snipe is awesome. And the Pelicans! My favorite is the close up of Pelican preening himself. That is a gorgeous shot that really shows off his beak. Now, tell me that you put the Spoonbill in yourself, and that is not a teeny tiny spoonbill...No, I do think it is real; but what an effect. It looks like a midget among the pelicans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no Ginny, that is a real spoonbill...no adding it...the photo is real time.

      Delete
  2. How cute are those little birds sitting on the wheel. Oops, I see I can't even spell my name in the link up, oh dear, I'll do better next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely collection of lovely critters, captured lovely

    just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. The small size of the spoonbill next to the pelican is so striking! Couldn't resist first stopping by your hummingbird carving-- I just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni, awesome birds and photos. I love the Snipes, it took me years to find my first Snipe. The Pelicans are a favorite too. Cool shots of the Night heron! Thanks for hosting, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wilson's Snipes are so much fun to find! They are so small, and they blend in well with their surroundings. If they didn't dash around probing the water for food, I would never notice them.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are smart to get out of the wind! What a cute photo! We saw the Bittern today when we hiked and it has so much of the same coloring as the Snipe. I always wonder if women in the past looked at them and imagined the hats they could have from the feathers....found feathers of course! lol Enjoy your weekend! Hope you can stop by and visit me tomorrow too. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos, especially those close-ups of the heron. Loved the sunning songbirds too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anni :) Well spotted Wilsons Snipe, it blends in so well with its surroundings. Amazing and beautiful close up images of the Yellow Crowned Night Heron, and the American Pelicans. The preening Pelican, is a gorgeous capture, as is the one with the Roseate Spoonbill, a largish bird that looks dwarfed by the size of the huge Pelicans. Quite a revelation,...I had no idea about the difference in sizes. Thank you for widening my knowledge of your birds, and, for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni. I rather dread finding a "different" snipe amongst our Common Snipe. If it was a Wilson's I'm not sure I could ID it. Still, I could always give you a call? Nice work with those photos, and the close-up heron. That sparrow pic sure shows how birds are pretty clever creatures, much smarter than we give credit most of the time. A well spotted photo opportunity.

    Enjoy your birding this week. Maybe I will if it ever stops raining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to have caught those two seeking shelter, Anni. Things like that make me smile!!!...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smart birds to hide from the wind while staying warm. I've never seen a spoonbill, so was unaware of their size. I thought they would be a larger bird. Love the heron close up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, great capture - seeking shelter in the storm. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those little guys on the tire are funny -- but also a great example of 'the genius of birds' don't you think? Such beautiful portraits -- and I appreciate your knowledge (and sharing of it) so much. And of course also for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always enjoy your photos so much! Smart birds getting out of the wind and warming themselves on the tire like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness if you had not mentioned it I was going to ask...or at least comment about the difference in size of those Pelicans and the Roseate Spoonbill. I have seen Brown and White Pelicans and know they are quite large, but I imagined that the Spoonbill was a lot lager than it is. They are on my wish list every time I visit Florida, but I think that I am too far South when I visit my daughter to see them. Have a great week doing what you love. Hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents