What with wintry temperatures [one morning a low below the freezing mark], heavy fog on most days for the weeks during my holiday break, I wasn't able to go on many birding trips. Erik [my son], who was here for the two weeks of Christmas and New Year's, and I, drove around the area seeing very few birds. Still, a lot of the birding hotspots are closed from the hurricane damage from August 2017. What we did see was mainly from the car windows...

GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken: Flour Bluff, Texas
habitat map: Heron




SANDHILL CRANES
photos taken: Flour Bluff, Texas
habitat map: Cranes


ROSEATE SPOONBILL & BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS
photos taken: Flour Bluff, Texas
habitat maps: Spoonbill & Ducks

GREYLAG GOOSE [domestic?]
photo taken: Chapman Ranch, outskirts of Corpus Christi
habitat map [wild]: Goose, mainly Europe

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
You did very well despite the weather! Glad you had a nice visit-- Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI've been away for about 5 weeks, on the west coast of Canada and I missed frigid temperatures here in Ontario of -40 Celsius some days. It was mild when we got back but today it is about -20 Celsius. I saw lots of new to me birds and waterfowl while out west.
ReplyDeleteAt least you were able to do some birding while it was cold there, if only through the window.
Have a good weekend.
It's fun to have someone to drive around with and help spot birds. You saw some beauties! I just watched another flock of Sandhill Cranes fly over today. It's chilly today and they were headed South! heehee Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeletenice to see that many cranes. There are no cranes in Sweden during winter. We have a couple of Grey herons but they never come close. Great shots from your car :)
ReplyDeleteHello, these are awesome birds. I love the Sandhill Cranes and the cute Whistling Ducks. Wonderful photos. Enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteWell acquainted with uncooperative weather when I'm in the mood to get out. Wonderful from the car photos! The Roseate Spoonbill caught my eye as I've never seen that type of bird. Hope you are having a great weekend with some better weather!
ReplyDeletelove the birds beautiful how I miss going around there taking pics. I loved the place where the rosetta spoonbills are kind of toward NASCAD but for the life can't remember that street name. I lived in flour bluff right off spid by the old 66 station, they tore it down right after we moved there.
ReplyDeleteSandhill Cranes! Oh how I would love to see them!
ReplyDeleteI love the cranes. They migrate so FAR! I believe the Chinese revere and feed them.
ReplyDeleteFine shots! I take plenty of pictures from the car, but most of my birds are seen through my back window. I bribe the birds all winter.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) Wow! I have never seen that many Sandhill Cranes in all my life,.. saw quite a few Spoonbills on holiday, but not the pretty Roseate ones. Nice to see the Whistlers and Heron pics too. Great photography results from the comfort of your car.:)
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful series with different types of birds.
Many of these birds can not be found in the Netherlands.
I really like the cranes
Best regards, Irma
Hi Anni. Do you know I bird from the car very often as it's always better for photography, especially at this time of year. All the old birds are pretty wary by now so as to not let any two legged creatures close. When there's young birds around it's always easier to get photos. Having said that I am highly impressed by those crane pictures, the Great Blue and the Greylag. Hope it warms up soon for us both.
ReplyDeleteI'm visiting from 'breathtaking'. Love your photography
ReplyDeleteI'll be BACK. :)
Anni, even a bad day can be a good day for photographing birds. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos! And from the car...really great! I forgot to link in Saturday or even Sunday and now I'm sure it's too late! :-) I hope you will check out my Steller's Jays, even if you can't comment. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteOh Such Beautiful Snowy Owls. We have had I think 6 show up in KY so far and only 2 have done well. Very sad what happened with the others. I have been doing like you...too cold and so I drive around in the car and just point the camera out the window. Toes stay warm and knee stays fit. I LOVE your Sandhill Cranes. Gorgeous. I missed them coming through this season, but will catch them on their way back. Hugs Anni~
ReplyDelete