At long last, I finally spotted a group [gaggle] of Snow Geese!!! I have seen them only flying overhead and 9 times out of 10 I was with no camera other than a cellphone which doesn't do these birds justice. If you follow me on my personal blog, you know then that I was out looking for two reported birds in the nearby vicinity...a wood duck and a rare grouping of mountain plovers. That day I saw neither the duck OR the plovers, and I took a different route home, at times thinking I was lost [Texas if full of Farm to Market Roads and I was hoping to be on the main highway to Portland, Texas...the FM was a spur to my main highway destination]...if I hadn't taken that right turn, I woulda missed this opportunity to photograph the personal sought-after dark morph snow geese!!!





SNOW GEESE [white and dark morph]
photos taken: FM road 1360 between Woodsboro and Bayside, Texas
habitat map: Goose
...at the park where I was searching for the wood duck, a Northern Flicker greeted me from the treetop.

NORTHERN FLICKER
photos taken: Lions Shelly Park
habitat map: Flicker

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Wow !! Such beautiful birds !!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos !!
Happy weekend !
Splendid images of both species!
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of Dark Morph snow geese. But these are very impressive looking!! You are always finding surprises. Maybe not what you were looking for, but something just as good. I LOVE how each time I visit, you have another kind of owl on your header!
ReplyDeleteWe saw a couple of gaggles of snow geese, of course, while we were driving so was unable to get a good photo, but have lovely memories of seeing them. Lucky you getting a few photos. The Northern Flickers are lovely.
ReplyDeleteinteresting. I did not know there was a dark morph of the snow geese. They look beautiful. Congrats to the sighting :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful! Beautiful Snow Geese!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos of the Northern Flicker, too
Is it just me, or is it a hoot to watch geese and ducks walk? Just asking.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great sighting! I know you were happy to see the Snow Geese and to have the dark morph is just amazing! I'm so glad you shared the photos! Maybe we could have a chance to see them here too! Enjoy your weekend! We just got home from a hike...lots of fun! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni;Happy for you for spotting the Snow Geese♡♡♡ I always wish to find new birdie :-) Love your background♪
ReplyDeleteSending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend, xoxo Miyako*
Beautiful geese! I find that back roads are great places to find photo opportunities.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to stumble upon the Snow Geese! Great serendipity find and lovely photos!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of the snow geese.
Perfectly photographed my compliments.
Best regards, Irma
You caught up well with the Snow Geese Anni. Genuine ones too. There's always a question mark over any that turn up over here. Have they escaped froma collection, or genuine transatlantic vagrants. Thanks for the link-up today.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful week.
Hello Anni, wonderful photos of the Snow Geese. It is a treat to see and hear the big flocks of Snow Geese. Thanks for hosting, have a happy day and new week ahead.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) So glad you found these pretty Snow Geese, with your camera this time, and these are splendid shots. Great shots of the Flicker too. Thank you so much for hosting, and have a great Sunday.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots, love seeing the snow geese. I like the shots of the Flicker as well. He looks like he's deep in thought.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful portraits of the snow geese! We watched their migration in New Mexico one year -- a highlight!! and saw some in Alaska -- but I have never gotten such good pictures of them. Love the flicker too.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the snow geese. They are beautiful. Love the flicker, too.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the gaggle of Snow Geese finally, but especially for those Dark Morph ones! Not sure we have spotted any like that around here! Very unusual! :)
ReplyDelete