A couple years back in time a rare bird to South Texas was reported in Choke Canyon area. At that time, the bird spotted was a juvenile. Bud and I drove about 80 miles from home a couple of times within a week to see if we would be lucky enough to find it. Not a chance. Well, about mid April of this year, the same species, a vagrant bird from Old Mexico and the Caribbean Sea area, the very same species from a few years back, was spotted at our own city's Botanical Gardens!!! The minute I read the report from my email, I grabbed my camera and headed out. Since we are members of the Gardens, I didn't have to check in to the visitors' center, and on a near run, I was headed toward Gator Lake where the bird was last seen!! Within minutes of my arrival...I saw it!! Busy, it was, feeding and headed back and forth among the cattail [reed] along the lake's shore!!
In some areas of the world, people have nicknamed this species "Jesus Bird" for its ability to walk atop vegetation with its extra large, long-toed/clawed feet!! Jesus bird 'cause when its foraging, it looks as if its walking on water!! Other nicknames are 'lily trotter', 'lotus bird' and 'jaçana'. Jacanas are tropical birds found throughout the tropical regions of the world, that live in shallow lake areas, ponds and wetlands. There are eight known species of jacanas.
This rare bird at our Gardens happened to be an adult Northern Jacana. I tried to time the camera's shutter button to get details of its plumage, colors, AND its long, over-sized feet. These are a record of what I saw that day, in photos:






NORTHERN JACANA [pronounced Jah CAW nah]
photos taken: Botanical Gardens
habitat map: Jacana
This season, I've had the privilege of spotting MORE rare birds for Texas. The photos will be shared at another time!!!

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
The FEET!!!! OH my! I now have goosebumps. I have never heard of this bird, it must be your best find EVER! And it would be so easy to identify! The yellow bill and forehead are quite startling. I would have thought it was a duck, UNTIL I saw the FEET!!! Great pictures, and I loved learning about this bird and actually seeing it!!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I think the feet may be the size of the entire body of the bird! You would think it would be so hard to get around, but of course he was made that way.
ReplyDeleteWow, that is a mega rarity, especially so far north, and you really nailed it! Congratulations! I'm not sure I can pronounce its name properly-- it is simply not mentioned in every-day conversation!
ReplyDeleteI can see why they say 'he can walk on water'! Look at those feet! And I appreciate the pronunciation. I have such a serious Southern drawl that I'm prone to miss...pronounce! heehee! Enjoy your day. We just watched a Mississippi Kite out in our back courtyard. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on great pics! I think it was worth waiting for this beautiful bird!
ReplyDeleteHappy May !
how nice! Love this bird. I saw Jacanas in Queensland. Not the same as yours but as beautiful :) Very interesting brds to watch :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing looking bird! I'm so glad you take such fabulous photos to share with us all.Those feet are something. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
ReplyDeleteWow! This is wonderful ‘Anni’. I am SO happy you found this beautiful and rare bird.... happy but not surprised, since you have to be a top contender for the best birder in the State! Congratulations! And as always thank you for sharing and hosting.
ReplyDeleteAnni, congratulations on your find. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteInteresting bird! Glad you got to see it.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWonderful series of this rare bird.
What a big feet this has.
Best regards, Irma
Congratulations on this find! How exciting. I enjoyed reading the information and the pictures are wonderful. And those feet! WOW!
ReplyDeleteWow! Very special!
ReplyDeleteThey look similar to Coots, but much more colorful
Have a wonderful day!
What an interesting bird, Anni! Well done on finding it and photographing it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting.
Catch up with you soon Anni. I'm in Spain.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! What a beautiful bird! You were so fortunate to see him. I love the markings on his head.
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni
ReplyDeleteI am glad you were able to see the Jacana this time and so close to home. I saw this bird in Belize and Costa Rica. You are lucky. I am sorry to be so late commenting. I just got home from our road trip and I am now trying to catch up on my commenting. Thanks so much for linking up your post. Have a happy day and weekend ahead.
Oh my Goodness, GOODNESS Anni, I can only imagine the thrill of having seen this beauty in real life, kind of like my Snowy a few weeks ago. The images are stunners, you got some great ones. I wonder if it will spend the season near you, or head to it's rightful territory. Love that beautiful brown colour on it. I have nothing to post this week, it's been Spring cleaning and mowing time here. Hugs from KY~
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on adding this rare bird to your list! You are right about the feet, my goodness!!! Good thing he doesn't have to buy shoes!!! Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDelete