Castro Sanctuary and Other Hotspots...


There is a small section of land that has been designated by the Castro [no relation to Fidel that I know of] family, named after their daughter, Linda, who was an avid birder.  The land with a small fresh water pond was donated to the town of Rockport, Texas.  Here, at different times of year several species of migrant and resident birds are seen...



WHITE FACED IBIS* [and greater yellowlegs]
photos taken:  Linda Castro Sanctuary
habitat map:  Ibis
*very similar to the Glossy Ibis of Florida. The Glossy has black eyes, and the White Faced has red eyes!!!


GROOVE BILLED ANI
photo taken:  Pollywog Ponds
habitat map:  Ani



BLACK CRESTED TITMOUSE [immature top photo]

photos taken:  Hazel Bazemore Park
habitat map:  Titmouse


VEERY
photo taken:  Blucher Park
habitat map:  Veery


YELLOW BILLED CUCKOO
photo taken:  Hans Suter Wildlife Reuge
habitat map:  Cuckoo


YELLOW WARBLER
photo taken:  Blucher Park
habitat map:  Warbler


SCISSORTAILED FLYCATCHER family
photo taken:  Hazel Bazemore Park
habitat map: Scissortail


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:




14 comments:

  1. That Ibis is something else! I never expect to see a different Ibis here but I guess I will be on the lookout now. We do have a lot of migratory birds. I always learn something new when I visit you! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anni, beautiful birds. I love the Glossy ibis. The Scissortail family is awesome, what a cool sight. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful assortment today! The feathers on the ibis are such a beautiful iridescent green and blue! And brilliant blue legs on the titmouse! The veery does look a bit like a thrush, I would have confused it with that. Warblers are so hard to identify.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bird photos! What a tribute to someone, creating a bird sanctuary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos!
    I have never seen any of those birds in person
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. \Hi Anni. One Scissor-tailed would do me just fine, but four - wow! I'm glad you told me about those Ibises, I actually didn't know of White-faced Ibis. Sorry about all that rain. I'm sure it will stop soon. It did here, eventually. Have a better week. And thanks for the link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved that line-up of scissor-tails! Very nice selections today. You have so many great local birding venues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anni, I put an Update on my blog post and published it again today. Thank you for suggestion, so far blah!
    Love your posts always, but those Scissor-tailed Flycatchers are really amazing beauties. I love them. The White-faced Ibis are gorgeous creatures, aren't they!
    Have a beautiful week dear friend~

    ReplyDelete
  9. You shared such a great variety of birds in this post! I can't seem to make up my mind which one is my favorite. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures and so many reminders of our time in your area, where I first got really interested in birding. The white faced ibis, when somebody pointed them out, I thought I must be looking at the wrong bird...I still don’t quite understand the name ... but it is a beautiful bird and I would recognize it again! We see the glossy in Florida and elsewhere in our travels ....I have never to my knowledge seen a Veery and I would love to. But the scissor tailed flycatchers were a lifer for me when we stayed in Port A and I was enthralled with them...wonderful picture, wonderful memories. Thanks for that, for hosting, and for your help in identifying my Pacific Loons. So appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anni,
    Wonderful series of photos of the different birds.
    I really like the fourth photo.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni! I've been away from blogging for a while this year... once you stop, it is overwhelming to get caught up! But--today is the day to visit YOUR posts! First off I was fooled by the Ibis too! I have seen pictures of one that is more 'White-faced'. We have not had the Glossy Ibises around here yet this year... the weather is quite abnormal here. I absolutely LOVE that Titmouse!! Wow!! Love those blue legs/feet! I did not even know there was one like that!! The Ani is a wishlist one... have to travel to see it. But I have seen a Veery, Yellow Warbler and Yellow-billed Cuckoo this spring. There have been Scissortails around this year, but not in a place I can visit. Thanks for sharing with us! It is a delight!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents