Just Birds! With some commentary today....
Except this thought....Have you ever wondered how a certain bird got its common name? I have oftentimes. One of the most obvious tho, is the mourning dove [seen below]. Here's what I found about it: "The genus name was bestowed in 1838 by French zoologist Charles L. Bonaparte in honor of his wife, Princess Zénaide, and macroura is from Ancient Greek makros, "long" and oura, "tail". The "mourning" part of its common name comes from its mournful call."
Now, here's the fun part....I've always been interested in birds; since a youngster. My aunt used to have bird feeders in her yard all year long. I used to spend summer days with her. Cardinals were my favorite and blue jays...they'd visit the feeding stations daily and year 'round I might add. But my bedroom at her house had a window by a huge tree...there was a dove that would sing while perched on the branch and wake me up early each day just after sunrise. FOR YEARS I THOUGHT ITS COMMON NAME WAS MORNING DOVE until my brother who liked to outsmart me in so many ways set me straight decades ago. I could tell you another tale of my brother and a wild canary...but let's just say he was grounded for a month. 'Nough said!! Me, being the younger sibling...well, I was quite pleased he got into trouble.

BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER
photo taken: Blucher Park
habitat map: Warbler

MOURNING DOVE
photo taken: Paradise Pond
habitat map: Dove

BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON
photo taken: Paradise Pond
habitat map: Heron

BROWN CRESTED FLYCATCHER
photo taken: Blucher Park
habitat map: Flycatcher

BLACK BELLIED PLOVER
photo taken: Padre Island National Seashore
habitat map: Plover

ROSEATE SPOONBILL
photo taken: Hans Suter Refuge
habitat map: Spoonbill

GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken: Oso Bay Wetlands
habitat map: Heron

WILSON'S PHALAROPE
photo taken: Botanical Gardens
habitat map: Phalarope

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
I just love your family stories, especially about your feisty brother! But I think I am glad to not know what happened to that canary! We have lots and lots of Mourning Doves. Many in our yard...I think they have outnumbered the robins this year. I do really wonder about how some birds got their names! I kind of figured the dove was because of their mournful call. It also seems they cannot walk without moving their head. This is why Phil calls them Doodleheads!
ReplyDeleteThe Plover has such pretty feathers...looks like every one is different! And the Spoonbill is just about my favorite...how neat to get one in flight! I'm afraid I've called birds and plants by the wrong names my whole life. My last post was even about calling something by the wrong pronunciation! lol Love your photos! I'll be glad when it gets cooler and we can spend more time outside, won't you! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThey are all beautiful-- hard to pick a favorite, but I'd love to see a phalarope in full breeding plumage. Like you, I was into nature and critters at a very early age. I'll never forget my embarrassment when one kid who didn't seem to share my interest corrected me when i said something about a deer's "horns." Did he ever set me straight! It still hurts!
ReplyDeletelol, I think that morning dove was a suitable name :) Thanks for sharing the story. Love the phalarope. I have seen some but not this Wilsons phalarope.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful shots of them all. :)
Love that story of the Mourning Dove...hahaha... I have loved birds my whole life too. My Aunt Bunna had feeders and I loved to visit her and put the food out for them. Your Brown Crested Flycatcher image is my favorite for this week, though they are all wonderful as always. Stay well my friend. Thank you~
ReplyDeleteGood stories Anni. Looved all the birds. Have a wonderful week ahead.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful story that you stayed with your aunt.
The birds are all beautifully photographed again, my compliments.
Best regards, Irma
Good Mourning Anni. Hope I didn't wake you up. Siblings! Who'd have one? Good to see those self explanatory named birds but as you say, some need a little more investigation. It's a great subject to read and to discover that so many were named after early ornithologists or scientists simply going about their love of natural history.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day.
Hello, Anni! Great collection of birds. The B&W Warbler is a favorite. I also love the Spoonbill and Philarope. I use to enjoy watching and feeding the birds with my grandmother when I was little. Great memory and story. Thanks for hosting! Enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteI get it. I had a brother, too. :) I thought it was Morning Dove, too. I didn't figure out I was wrong for years. I love that you always say where you found the birds. Wonderful collection of birds here. I love the Black and White Warbler!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds!
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting this great birding site
Have a blessed day!
Lovely catches
ReplyDeleteAnni, a pleasant story. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteOh, those brothers! Fun story. I never knew why they were called Mourning Doves either. Interesting. And as always, such great photos of all the birds.
ReplyDeleteall of these are amazing photos of gorgeous birds. I love the mournful sound of a dove, my favorite sound of all birds. Cardinals and Jays sound grates on my nerves after a while. I used to sit on my grandmothers swing on her screen porch here and listen to the doves. I love spoonbills and saw my first of this bird about 10 years ago, a flock of them in a preserve, not doubt why they are called spoon bills..
ReplyDeleteWonderful shots. Love that spoonbill.
ReplyDelete