NEWS FLASH....




FROM THE NEWS CENTER: Known as a popular place to bird watch or just enjoy the scenery, the Port Aransas Nature Preserve suffered extensive damage from Hurricane Harvey. Colleen Simpson, Manager of the Nature Preserve said “We have over $3.5 million dollars worth of damage here [PORT ARANSAS AREA including Charlie's Pasture ->> that includes the break in the bulkhead and rock revetments and all of the board walks we lost.] It’s an expensive recovery.” Port Aransas Nature Preserve Crews begin Hurricane Harvey clean-up at the Port Aransas Nature Preserve Almost a year later, the cleanup is just beginning. That hold up? Waiting on funding which comes from FEMA, several grants and donations. Also, getting the proper permits and making sure the Preserve is taken care of. Although the cleanup and construction will take several months, the Nature Preserve will be better than before for all of its guests equipped with an ADA accessible board walk and more resilient, if another storm were to come.

source:  KRIS news - no copyright infringement intended.


CHARLIE'S PASTURE[S]: 

By visiting here at I'd Rather B Birdin' Photo blog, you probably know that I do go very often to Port Aransas to go birding and just enjoy the Gulf of Mexico and the  friendly people that are residents...it's a wonderful place...very strong and as congenial as anyone on the streets of Corpus Christi [if not MORE].  I will be very  happy to have the birding areas and boardwalks repaired; I wait patiently!!!!!

If you're at all curious to the local damage there, I posted photos on my personal blog from the day AFTER the hurricane some areas of the birding hotspots that I could get close enough to. I have photos of the Leonabelle Reserve and the ripping out of the aforementioned bulkhead and damage in the Charlie's Pasture [north] section. PHOTOS HERE at this linked location.


As anxious as I am, I will share photos of the past blog posts of the area that is now under repair work:


HORNED LARK
photo taken:  Charlie's Pasture [north]
habitat map:  Lark


SNOWY PLOVER
photo taken:  Charlie's Pasture [north]
habitat map:  Plover


GREATER FLAMINGO [African - vagrant]
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture [south]
This flamingo, mostly all white, is an escapee from a Kansas zoo many years ago that shows up oftentimes along the Texas Coast. He's been surviving in Texas for years!!! Just this past season, he was seen along Matagorda Bay near Port Lavaca, Texas.


CORMORANTS
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture [south]

Altho there are a few miles of driving  in between, to get to both birding areas, north and south, they were both highly damaged during the storm, and closed since August of 2017.



LEONABELLE TURNBULL REFUGE {Port Aransas Nature Preserve}:




BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER
photo taken:  Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Blackburnian



BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHER
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Nature Center
habitat map: Blue Gray Gnatcatcher




For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:


15 comments:

  1. It is sad to see all that damage to those beautiful birding spots. We took a boat ride around Port Aransas only 3 days before Hurricane Harvey hit, during our vacation on North Padre Island. Everything was so calm and no one seemed very concerned about the impending storm. I think its fury took everyone by surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Horned Lark is truly impressive!!! I have never seen so many cormorants together. Our daughter-in-law helped out with some hurricane relief, alongside Fema. She was able to take water and things to the people who needed it most. But FEMA had so many restrictions that people had to walk a long way if they needed anything, plus lots of red tape holdup. The people who were working on their own seemed to make more of a difference! I'm glad it will be better than ever, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to see the damage too...it takes years to recover! I was so interested in the flamingo...what a neat story! Take care my friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to see all that damage. Hope the recovery doesn't take as long as they predict. It does sound as if it will be great once repaired. I don't mean to nitpick but as a Kansas City area resident, I feel compelled to point out the flamingo escaped from the Sedgewick County Zoo located in Wichita, Kansas which is about 2 1/2 hours Southwest from the Kansas City metro area and not the Kansas City Zoo. Still, an amazing story & I'm glad the bird is doing so well. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the memories of happier times in Port A...both virtually through your wonderful shares and from real life (too long ago, but never forgotten). Hope everything gets reopened soon and is better than ever. I don’t have much faith in FEMA, (nor any help for environmental causes these days sadly ). but maybe they will come through this time. Any help from your local representatives in Congress?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful bird photos!
    Glad that the Nature Preserve is being repaired
    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow !! Fantastic photos of these beautiful birds !!
    I love your nature observations, Anni !!
    Have a happy weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anni. It's good to hear that your favourite birding spot will be restored to its former glory. I'm certain it is worth waiting for it to rise like a phoenix. Love tour pictures today, especially the Snowy Plover. I'm a sucker for plovers.

    Thanks for the link-up, and have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni, extraordinary damage. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shots as always.

    Last years storms closed a lot of the trails I wander upon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a flash-mob of cormorants! And I loved the gnatcatcher. Glad they are cleaning things up and hope the bird watching will spring back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are bird photographer extraordinaire . these are just beautiful, I feel I can reach in and touch them. that is a huge bill for the storm damage. the flamingo is fascinating that it has lived all alone so long. must not have shrimp to eat to make him pink. still beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just got caught up on your posts (but only this comment)... I sure hope they stop stalling on restoring all the wonderful nature preserves and such that got damaged by hurricanes in your area last year. There have not been that many birds to see around here in the past two months... been so rainy and hot. Plenty of mosquitoes, biting flies and ticks tho! I enjoyed seeing the birds and areas you shared. There ARE some birds/ducks that got confused from all the strange weather, as with that Merganser. Loved the Sandhill Cranes and the Flamingo and the Red-headed Woodpecker... well, loved it all! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hallo Anni,
    Fantastische foto's van deze prachtige vogels.
    Ik hou van je natuurobservaties.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funding, and the lack there of, has put a halt to so much here in CT, Anni. The work there sounds promising for all creatures (people included)...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents