On Caribbean Drive and Gulf Shore


While walking along the shoreline at Bob Hall Pier I didn’t see as many shorebirds or waders as I’d hoped. Mostly, sandpipers and gulls. But I did see these, and got photos obviously.


BLACK SKIMMER
photo taken:  Bob Hall Pier [north Padre Island]
habitat map:  Skimmer


WILLET
photo taken:  Bob Hall Pier [north Padre Island]
habitat map:  Willet


BROWN PELICAN
photo taken:  Bob Hall Pier [north Padre Island]
habitat map:  Pelican

Altho, not much of a sea breeze either, I opted to get back in the car and head out to the store for groceries. I made a detour down Caribbean Drive [suburban ranch land] where, in wet months, there is a very large lake on a private ranch that a lot of migrant birds congregate during their stopover on their way farther south, or wintering birds such as Sandhill Cranes take up residence. I was sure since we’ve been in a drought for most of the summer months, there’d be little water, if any. I was wrong. The lake was full, clear to the road. As I slowed down to scout the area, I noticed two Anhingas across the road, in the trees. I found a place to pull over off the road and took my camera out and got photos. At the lake, several water birds such as Spoonbills, ducks, woodpeckers, cormorants, egrets and herons were preening on the one small island. As I focused on the island and took photos, I noticed one lone wood stork.

These photos below are some of what I spotted while on the rural road. [By the way, as I stood taking photos of the Anhingas, little did I know I happened to stop on a Fire Ant ant hill!!! I had welts all over my ankles by the time I realized I was being bitten.  I have a first aid kit in the car with me at all times...thank goodness!! If you’ve ever experienced fire ant bites, you know how painful they can be!!! A couple days later I went back and stopped for more sightings…keeping ON THE ROAD and away from any ant hills!!!


GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
photo taken:  historic cemetery
habitat map:  Woodpecker


CATTLE EGRET
photo taken:  Caribbean Drive
habitat map:  Egret


SPOONBILL [pink] and WOOD STORK
photo taken:  Caribbean Drive
habitat maps:  Spoonbill - Wood stork


same as above



NEOTROPIC CORMORANT [small bill compared to Double crested]
photo taken:  Caribbean Drive
habitat map:  Cormorant




ANHINGA
photos taken:  Caribbean Drive
habitat map:  Anhinga



For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



17 comments:

  1. Wonderful, beautiful birds!
    My favorite is the Golden-fronted Woodpecker
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni, great captures, especially the spoonbill and the wood stock. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni, wonderful sightings and photos. I love the Wood Stork and the Spoonbill. The Cattle egret is beautiful. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making me so homesick for the Gulf Coast (even the other part of it, in that other State where we now winter). Wouldn’t it be amazing to OWN a lake that attracted all those birds! Wow, I’m glad at least it is at a place where people can see what is there. Owwww on the fire ants though...yes, I know personally what those bites feel like. Wonderful bird photos as always. Thank you for those and for hosting ...especially for allowing me to link my measly sightings. (But in my defense, most of the species you saw don’t follow us to Oregon ))).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes on the fire ant hill! Glad you had a first aid kit with you and glad those ants don't hang around this area. Always enjoy your photos and wide assortment of birds so much. Hope you are having a great weekend far away from any fire ants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni thank you for sharing these love the woodpecker great shots!!! may I ask what camera that you use? there are those (pink pelicans) hehe that made me smile! happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bird shots! I haven't run into fire ants and I hope I never do. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yepp, I know fireants. Got bitten as a child. Makes you always aware of them. In Sweden they are small red ones so we call them redants.
    It is fun to see the difference in size between the spoonbill and the wood stork. Never seen them in one image before :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s a new variety of woodpecker to me. Love seeing all the shore birds and water birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ginny Hartzler wrote: Such a wonderful variety of cool birds, some of which I have never seen before! Beautiful Willet shot! And look how he blends in with the sand so well! What a gorgeous photo. The Golden Fronted Woodpecker is beautiful! A new one for me. I never saw a Cattle egret, either! He doesn't look that much like an Egret, he is rather different, with the short neck. Awesome Stork & spoonbill, such huge impressive birds. You really suffered for your art on this post, but it is awesome! How long will the bites bother you, and how long do they hurt? I can't imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice two-fer on the stork and spoonbill! Fire Ants are a scourge for us as well, a good reason to watch every step. Your latest header art is especially beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure got some awesome pics. I really like the Anhinga and the woodpecker is one I've never seen. I was recently re-aquainted with fire ants myself. Guess I have lived away from Texas too long. I had welts for days. When mowing yesterday I have found a new mound in the front lawn. Now I need to find another mound so I can exchange a shovel full. This is the best way I've found to get rid of them. An older neighbor told me they fight and kill each other. It worked the last time I tried it, so I'm going to try it again. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous pictures! I can see why you would have had welts on your ankles before you knew it - such birds would certainly be a distraction! I have had this happen to me with fire ant hills - you learn your lesson for a while (until the next time!) Thanks for your recent visit to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow and wow again at the spoonbill and stork together. what a find. I like both of those birds. we have a family or flock of wood storks, they live in the area I drive through to get to doc office. sometimes the whole flock is in the middle of the street and I have to wait and I never have my camera. if I take it they are not there.
    I love to watch willets at the beach. these are all awesome pics

    ReplyDelete
  15. your picture of flying pelican is great.
    Thank you for sharing a lot of beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents