On September 13, my area of the Coastal Bend along the Gulf of Mexico had a forecasted tropical wave heading our way. Supposedly, it was to make landfall by the Friday afternoon or early evening....bringing up to 10 inches of rain with it over the course of 24 hours. Bud and I took the morning hours to prepare the house for flooding, then, I took a short drive to the beach to check out the currents and the situation at the 'end of the world' as we see it from the shore [the horizon]. It was stormy, but I got my prescribed walking in for the day. Along the walk, I spotted two banded [ringed] Piping Plovers. I took photos, and when I got home, I booted the computer to log into the USGS gov website and reported the two birds. The very next day I received in the email, two PDF certificates stating when they were banded and where...


#1 Banded in North Dakota 2014


#2 Banded in North Dakota 2016
PIPING PLOVERS
photos taken: Whitecap Beach
habitat map: Plovers
In the 2nd photo of the plovers, it's flag ID number is 8T2...wonder if there was an eighty-three? Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!
- - - - -
There was a reported Calliope Hummingbird at the Hawkwatch Platform in Calallen, Texas. I left early one morning to see if I could find it. When I arrived at the platform I was the only one...except for the hundreds of hungry hummingbirds. Literally hundreds...they were in a feeding frenzy at the 8 feeding stations. I had a challenge trying to keep up with them and get some decent photos!! There'd be a very minimal chance of spotting the Calliope Hummer with them dashing from feeder to feeder, buzzing around my head, or perching in the dense canopy of the trees. By the time I was done and the camera was whirring from over use, Dane, one of the hawk counters, arrived, and he pointed out the 'special' hummingbird. I secretly disagreed with his assumption. I think it's an immature Ruby Throated Hummingbird. Your expertise on hummingbirds will be a great help...any input on your thoughts? [pay particular attention to the very last photo]. Thanks in advance.





RUBY THROATED & BLACK CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD
photos taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Ruby Throated - Black Chinned

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
How very interesting to find and photograph banded birds!
ReplyDeleteThe only Hummingbirds I have ever seen are the Ruby-throated, so I do not know enough about the other kinds to say who is who. Great photos, though!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Congratulations of your recognition, your accomplishments, and your stunning shots of hummingbirds!
ReplyDeleteHello, congrats on the Piping Plover sighting. They are so cute. I am amazed at all the hummer at the feeder, Wonderful photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeletehearts back to you :)
ReplyDeleteSo many hummingbirds and they all seem to be getting along! Mine fight each other so much it's a wonder any of them get anything to eat. Also how fun to find out where those birds were banded! I only have a few birds on my post today along with some other critters, but I wanted to link up anyway.
ReplyDeleteOK bottoms up...LOL well sort of...the last image looks to me just like some of my Ruby-throated Hummingbirds posted just yesterday. That sure looks like a juvenile R-throated Hummingbird to me, but I am no expert. Now speaking on expert...wow those Plovers that were banded some 4/5 years ago, what an exceptional find of the two. North Dakota to Texas and who knows where beyond and before...how wonderful for you. I am guessing that your tropical storm wasn't so much as anticipated. Feeling terrible for those in the Carolina's. Take care Anni, and thank you~
ReplyDeleteWow, these certificates are so special! Is this the first time you have gotten any? And now you know all about his long journeys and history! i love seeing all the hummers. They are so fragile and strong at the same time.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the certificates.
The pictures of the hummingbirds are great, my favorite is photo eight.
Best regards, Irma
It’s so satisfying to learn about the bird that you have seen by submitting this information. Also important to the people who put the bands on. Superb!
ReplyDeletetotally cool about the banded certificates.. love the feathers in the closeup shot of the band...
ReplyDeleteThat's so neat about the banded birds. Didn't know you could do that. No idea on the hummingbird (I shared hummingbirds this week, too!) but certainly enjoyed all your photos of them.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful images, the Hummingbirds are alluring.
ReplyDeleteAnni, banding is a great birding service. Superb hummingbird captures. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWow, so many hummers at once.
ReplyDeleteI bet that guy who banded “82” ;)) and the other one was happy to see where they’d got to! How neat that you spotted them and followed through. You are a true citizen scientist. The hummers are wonderful, hope you got some feedback on your ID ... I’d bet on you being right, just because you are such an expert. Hope the water didn’t do any damage.
ReplyDeleteI love to watch humming birds in the spring at my backyard.
ReplyDeleteBy the way...you are really citizen scientist.
Have a great day
Amazing that you were able to capture these hummingbirds in your photographs. I don't think that I have ever seen so many at the same location before! Thanks for the share, have a fantastic rest of your day. Keep up the posts.
ReplyDeleteWorld of Animals
wow that is so very cool about the birds and your certificate congrats! Those hummingbirds are awesome! We only had 2 that came here this year. happy birding and have a great week
ReplyDelete