This will be a very heavy post with several pictures, so I will refrain from being too wordy. At two co-joining parks [one in Corpus and the other that intersects with the one in my city, Sunset Lakes in Portland Texas], was where I walked recently. Another cloudy day, but the birds were quite active. At one point when I stopped at an observation deck off the trail, I was overwhelmed by the numbers of Roseate Spoonbills I found!! So, I'll take you there. But first some I saw along the way...

AMERICAN WIGEON
habitat map: Wigeon
...something I've never seen before. It was low tide on the bay, and the pintail ducks were WALKING on the mudflats/oyster beds instead of swimming.


NOTHERN PINTAIL DUCKS [female-male]
habitat map: Ducks



RED BREASTED MERGANSERS [male and female]
habitat map: Mergansers
...now the dozens of white ibis and roseate spoonbills [a group of spoonbills is called a "bowl"]:









ROSEATE SPOONBILLS and WHITE IBIS
habitat map: Spoonbills - Ibis
And, while marveling at the feathers of both ibis and spoonbills, I experienced an American Avocet flyover....

AMERICAN AVOCETS
habitat map: Avocets
and paste into your blog post:

Fabulous set of photos. Love the spoonbills. Diane
ReplyDeleteYour bowl totally tops mine! (I didn’t know that’s what a group of spoonbills was called and I love learning that.). *And* until the other day, I’d never even seen a “whole bowl” of them, but only one to three at a time. Love all the other Texas birds today too ... and thank you for sharing all and of course for hosting!
ReplyDeleteMy cup runneth over and so does my bowl! Love those "Texas Flamingos" as one boat captain called the spoonbills when I toured the Corpus Christi area years ago. Also very nice widgeon, mergansers and pintails, with a topper of avocets!
ReplyDeleteYour flamingo carving is beautiful! The Mergansers have such a beautiful feather pattern. The Avocet flyover may be my favorite! I didn't know a group of Spoonbills is called a Bowl. It makes sense, spoon & bowl.
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni! I love seeing the Spoonbills. They are cool birds. The Avocets are lovely. But, I lobe all your birds, great photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your day and weekend.
ReplyDeleteOh, my, I would have been in seventh heaven! Great photos! I enjoyed them all. But that pink--or the pinks on them are just gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteA BOWL of Spoonbills...well, I never! How neat! I have only seen them in the wild a few times and never this many. How exciting! Lots of wonderful sightings this week. It's been a very good week! We just got back from a hike! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteVery nice! And so rosy!
ReplyDeleteGreat images Anni and I never knew a Spoonbill group was called a bowl
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWonderful series of photos of these birds.
The spoonbills I find really great, perfectly photographed.
Best regards, Irma
A bowl of spoonbills - what a wonderful description!
ReplyDeleteLove all these birds! I never see any of them here in north Mississippi
I'd quite like to see another Spoonbill soon but a bowl full would be a great meal for me Anni. You are very observant about Pintail as I too rarely see them walking. I guess it's because mostly their food is taken by upending and them feeding under the water on the surface below? those avocets in flight are terrific. Our own will soon be her - one of the first waders to arrive back in spring.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the linky today.
Those spoonbills are gorgeous Anni! I've never seen one in person and certainly didn't know that a group of them were called a "bowl". So interesting!
ReplyDeleteawww...I need to get out in the wetlands more
ReplyDeleteAnni, nice collection water fowl. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the spoonbills. never seen that many in one spot. like the shot of the ones in flight... beautiful pintails so sharp and clar
ReplyDelete