Driving around the world famous King's Ranch just outside Kingsville, Texas, I spotted a hawk on the power line pole. It was feeding on something long and slender. In fact the object hanging from its mouth was swaying in the breeze...or so I thought. By the time I found a safe place to pull the car off the highway onto the shoulder and open my car window, the slender, wiggly thing had disappeared. After a few snaps of the shutter, I zoomed in on the mouth...I saw the 'tail end" of its meal...a snake!! Good for you Mr Hawk!!! I HATE snakes!! That's one less I have to worry 'bout. It looked me in the eye of the camera like "You're Welcome Anni"...Of course it remained on the pole to digest its meal, but I had other places to go, birds to see...



WHITE TAILED HAWK
photos taken: Kleberg County Texas
habitat map: Hawk
* * * Now, I'd like to ask something of you bird experts visiting here today....
...my question [regarding hawks]: Are hawks territorial when it comes to hunting? I'm pretty sure they are protective of their surroundings when it's breeding season, that is a 'given'. But when it comes to food, and their diet, do they fend off other predators that are feeding in "their" area? I always assumed hawks, being hunters, would and DO hunt anywhere they please. My reason for asking, I searched a short time on Google about territorial rights and food, and I really didn't get a straight opinion or definitive answer. Those of you that have been birding longer than I have, what have been your views on this subject?
An immature Red Tailed hawk was high up, along Mustang Island highway, and as I stopped to get photos of this beautiful specimen, it dived down into the grass and disappeared. I figured a rat, snake or some kind of prey was captured. Then, out of the blue so to speak [the sky was cloudless], a couple of white tailed hawks came in for a dive bomb on the red tailed...the red tailed hawk took off out of the prairie grasses with its catch of the day and the two white tailed hawks soared right behind it....they all disappeared into the wild blue yonder....



RED TAILED HAWK [immature - no 'red' on tail feathers yet]
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat map: Hawk
...then, the intense intrusion...one of the two white tailed hawks came swooping in! Like a couple of knights guarding the gates of Camelot, ready for the kill...
WHITE TAILED HAWK
photo taken: Mustang Island
habitat map: Hawk
and paste into your blog post:

Beautiful hawk images. I think the White-tailed was asking you "How could you not like snakes?" Speaking from my own experience with the American Kestrels which winter here in our local wetlands, we often had three males occupy fairly distinct foraging territories along the 1.5 mile gravel road which traverses the area. One favored the north side of the lake and the other the south side and sometimes they would squabble about who had rights to the middle. The third hunted in a larger stretch of the road to the south and east. They would defend their territories by chasing any interloper away. Once, I was amazed to see the "middle" kestrel attack and displace a Merlin which flew in and occupied its favored perch atop a pine tree. I wonder whether these are the same three birds each winter, all males.
ReplyDeleteI hate snakes too! Maybe even more than spiders. These are splendid hawk pictures! I have never seen or heard of a White Tailed Hawk, so this is a treat! We have a lot of the red tailed. I would think that whenever a hawk spies another with food, he will try to take it away.
ReplyDeleteHello, I do not get grossed out over slimy and wiggling snakes. I think it is cool to see the hawks eating snakes and the interactions with the other hawks. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your day and weekend.
ReplyDeleteIt's always interesting to read your comments and thoughts from the experts! I saw a black racer this past week so the hawks are welcome to come and get him! I know he's harmless but I don't like to see a snake slither in front of me on the trail! And I see a 'few' creepy things on my hikes. When I showed my cute bunny photos, I didn't mention the dead bunny I saw! Gross! lol Thanks for the great party! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteDrama in the skies! Well, I don't know much about hawks. Wish I could get close enough for good pictures. Maybe someday.
ReplyDeleteThese close up photographs are Superb Anni. HAve a good week ahead.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful pictures of the hawks, beautiful so that with the snake in the beak.
I do not know if they have their own terretory to hunt.
All photos prefectly photographed, my compliments.
Best regards, Irma
I wasn't sure about the answer Anni. So I googled and discovered that the striking White-tailed Hawk is very restricted in its range, centred mostly around Texas. So you're very lucky in that respect. I guess like most raptors (and birds) it is very territorial during the breeding season but less so in the other parts of the year. Have a good week, and many thanks for the link-up today.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos and I am very fond of the birds of prey, so these were special for me as I seldom get close in France to get photos. As a matter of interest I also like snakes😉 Keep well Diane
ReplyDeleteaw, love those predators
ReplyDeleteIt’s fun to catch birds of prey enjoying lunch! And easier to smile about if it is a snake meal! (I once posted a picture of an alligator eating a turtle and I’m pretty sure I permanently lost a few readers )). ...I didn’t even know there WAS a white tailed hawk and enjoyed your great pictures. Thanks for all of them and for hosting.
ReplyDeleteI know nothing. we have hawks here and I am not a fan of them... they eat all the other birds. we used to have doves by the dozens and jays and cardinals and other small birds. they are now gone because there is no predator to eat the hawks and we have to many. we rarely see birds in our yard now except for God's garbage guys circling in the sky
ReplyDeleteWhat should I say -- I think you must be bored now as you already know that these are simply stunning photos. I don't have to say it. Breathtaking photography, especially the first one. I think National Geographic should publish it. Wow!!
ReplyDeleteWow - gorgeous photos!
ReplyDelete