At Oso Bay Wetlands, while I was walking the trails, there were two Caracaras flying overhead, one landed in a tree, watching my every move. I saw one land ahead of me by several yards, on the trail, picking up in its mouth, twigs. Preparing a nest somewhere?

CRESTED CARACARA
photo taken: Oso Bay Wetlands
habitat map: Caracara
This Wren was bathing at the parks double drip system...

HOUSE WREN
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Wren
Several waterfowl on the larger of the two ponds at Bazemore park. I'm happy when I actually get some action other than them swimming ...

MALLARD DUCK [female]
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Mallard
The Parakeets were everywhere at West Guth Park the other day! And a noisy ruckus they were creating throughout!!


MONK PARAKEET [once caged, now introduced to wild flocks]
photos taken: West Guth Park
habitat map: Parakeet
Just off the high observation tower, one lone egret was on the hunt...

GREAT EGRET
photo taken: Oso Bay Wetlands
habitat map: Egret
At W. Guth Park's duck pond, the Cormorants were spreading their wings in unison...

CORMORANTphotos taken: West Guth Park
habitat map: Cormorant
In Texas, along the coast, we have two cormorant species, the Neotropic and the Double Crested. The Neotropic is quite a bit smaller overall. I usually decipher between the two by the length of the beak...but coloration and angle of the gular [throat area] is also a definitive ID factor.

[not my graphic: no copyright infringement intended -for educational use only]
A couple of Red-winged Blackbirds were singing to each other...

RED WINGED BLACKBIRD
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Blackbird
At Lakeview park, there are always several White Ibis...

WHITE IBIS
photo taken: Lakeview Park
habitat map: Ibis
and paste into your blog post:

Very interesting about the Cormorants. We see them a lot here and I think they are the doubles! I'll have to go look at some of my photos. I saw one in flight this week...out in the middle of nowhere! Happy weekend! Thanks for the fun party!
ReplyDeleteGreat series of bird photos.
ReplyDeleteThe Caracaa is large and impressive, and has the beak of a hawk. Why are Cormorants the only birds I ever see spreading their wings to dry? I went to The Dollar Tree yesterday, and got a glass candlestick. Thanks to you, the perfect holder for my Lens ball!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat bird photos!
ReplyDeleteIf I had to pick a favorite it would be the White Ibis.
I have an unidentified Hawk for my link-up today. I think it may be a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk. Any help with ID is greatly appreciated.
Hope you are having a great weekend!
beautiful bird portraits :) All great birds. Loved to see the fine beak of the cormorant. Many people don´t like them, but I do. :) Also pleased to see the Caracara ans the little wren.
ReplyDeleteThanks for ID of my Red-shouldered Hawk photo. Juvenile birds, especially birds of prey, are often different from adults - it is sometimes difficult to know for sure. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteFine photos as usual. Your header of the owl/dream catcher is gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteYou can see beautiful series of photos.
I think they are all great, I can not choose.
I can not post my link, maybe you want to do it for me.
Best regards Irma
they are all wonderful, the female mallard is my pick of the day. i have never seen the caracara before. beautiful bird. the Ibis is my least favorite bird here. they are every where. the bird, not your photo. sometimes our yard is full of them.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. Despite the feel of winter it seems that your birds, like our very own, are beginning to sense that spring is not far away. Those cormorants must give you a headache sometimes in trying to sort one from the other, unless they have totally different habits and preferences? As usual I'm dead jealous of your caracaras.
ReplyDeleteNice catches ☺
ReplyDeleteHi Annie, it's been a while and I am catching up. Losing Google+ is costing me a lot of time and trying to salvage as much as possible to have as memories from so many who have used it along side me these past several years. I always enjoy seeing your birds and those Monk Parakeets are beautiful. I wonder if that is the same kind that flies around Boca Raton, Florida. I LOVE your Cormorants...I think they all have such lovely shapes and their faces are beautiful. I hope that you are doing well my friend. Have a HAPPY week~
ReplyDeleteI really have trouble telling the difference between the two kinds of cormorants, your info should help! Lovely portraits of all of your birds as always. Thank you for hosting!
ReplyDeleteLove the close ups of the brds Anni
ReplyDeleteGreat set of photos and intereting info as well. Love the Caracaras. Have a good week Diane
ReplyDeleteWow, what a great batch of birds! We have the house wrens come here and build nests sometimes. I like them, but I would pay to have Carolina wrens come and stay. I hear one in the neighborhood sometimes, and it comes to the feeder occasionally...but not seen regularly.
ReplyDeleteI do not know why, but cormorants fascinate me. Maybe because they are something I seldom see.