This week, while driving along Shoreline, I entered the Naval Air Station, a road with restricted access at the base entry gate...before arriving there to U-turn, I stopped along the banks of the bay and saw numerous local birds. Here are three species seen:



OSPREY
photos taken NAS [naval air station]
habitat map: Osprey
This Reddish Egret [white morph, is in prime breeding colors!!] Here is a photo of the White Morph, from 2015, that is non-breeding plumage.




REDDISH EGRET [white morph]
photos taken: NAS [naval air station]
habitat map: Egret



BLACK SKIMMERS IN FLIGHT
photos taken: NAS [naval air station]
habitat map: Skimmers
NOTE: My favorite area in Port Aransas, Texas [Leonabelle Birding Center - completely damaged from Hurricane Harvey in 2017] has been re-opened! The new boardwalk is completed, and the pond is full...I will update with photos when I can get the pictures off the camera.
and paste into your blog post:

Those breeding colors on the face of the Reddish Egret are beautiful. I don't think I've seen them in images before. We went shopping at that Naval Exchange and did not realize it was an opportunity for wildlife watching!
ReplyDeleteWow! Look at the size of the bill on the Skimmers.The Osprey is such a cool looking bird.
ReplyDeleteHello, great birds and photos. I love the Egret, Osprey! The Black Skimmers are a favorite. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteI love the beautiful blue on the egret! The osprey looks different somehow than the ones I have seen, maybe he is recently fledged?
ReplyDeleteHubby and I keep going back to look at that Reddish Egret....what a beautiful bird! And so much BLUE! We saw a Great white with so much lime green around his eyes...we thought something was wrong! lol LOVE those googly eyes of the Osprey too! Beautiful photos this week...as always! Hugs!
ReplyDeletegreat images of all three species. Love them all. :)
ReplyDeleteHave a great week :)
The osprey is awesome, but that reddish egret really caught my eye. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLovely to see these birds are breeding time ANni
ReplyDeleteI am always astonished to know how relatively easy it is to see Ospreys; there must be many thousands of pairs, which is wonderful to realise. Of course you know Anni that you would be most welcome to come banding with me and Andy, as long as you let us know when you may be coming over from Texas. I guess you could do an Internet search for banders in your area? I know Texas is a big state but there must be some fairly close by?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link-up again this weekend. Have fun.
Clapping wildly at your wing photos!! The osprey is having a bad hair day...kinda looks like mine this morning. The profile of the egret is gorgeous
ReplyDeleteHugs Cecilia
I just love the shots of the Osprey how lucky you are to be able to get so close. The egret is also amazing and you photos are excellent. Thanks for hosting the Link-up. Happy Sunday Diane
ReplyDeleteI really like the Osprey's HAIR DO.. ha ha and the expression. I love them and the Egrets, we have a lot of them here, only a mile from us. the skimmers I have to drive ab out 40 minutes to see them
ReplyDeletehi, re your comment on my blog. You are welcome to visit my artblog: https://naturefootstep.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteIt must be so wonderful to be able to visit your favorite spots that had once been damaged by the hurricane two years ago. The boardwalk must be very nice too...looking forward to seeing the image shares. Your birds today are beautiful. Have a great and safe week~
ReplyDeletebootiful birds
ReplyDeleteLoved all the birds...the skimmers showing why they’re named as they are is probably my fav although it’s hard to choose as they’re all perfect . So very happy to know about Leona Bell reopening. Wonderful memories.
ReplyDelete