I mentioned last week, on my Aplomado Falcon post that I observed the return of the Purple Martins; a type of swallow. I spent several hours at our local Botanical Gardens where they have several Martin Condos. Before leaving the garden properties, the Martins entertained me. The males are dark black with purple-blue and the females are a dusky gray. This is part of what I observed...








From Wikipedia: Martins make their nests in cavities, either natural or artificial. In many places, humans put up real or artificial hollow gourds, or houses for martins, especially in the east, where purple martins are almost entirely dependent on such structures.
As a result, this subspecies typically breeds in colonies. I'm always happy to see them arrive in Spring, and happy because of those that have the resources to set up an area for them to nest since Purple martins suffered a severe population drop linked to the release of starlings in North America. Starlings [and house sparrows] compete with martins for the natural nest cavities. Where purple martins once gathered by the thousands, and within the last two/three decades had all but disappeared. Now they are slowly recovering.
and paste into your blog post:

Those martins look like feisty little characters! When we lived in Dallas we had a martin house and they really adapted to it,. However the more aggressive House Sparrows gradually took over, even when we blocked the doors until the first scouts arrived. The Blue Jays stopped by to dine on the sparrow chicks, but they never disturbed the martins. Go figure!
ReplyDeleteI've been considering one...but, I'm not sure about how the neighbors would think...yay or nay.
DeleteHello, I love these cute Purple Martins. I wish I saw them in my area, Wonderful photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weeekend.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos of this bird.
ReplyDeleteAren't they the most beautiful color! Now that I'm trying to do watercolors, I notice color variations in nature even more! Enjoy your weekend! It was in the 70s on our hike today...perfect!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if a martin house would work here. Happy little birds. Have a good Sunday Diane
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful! I hear the birds through my open doors these days and love every birdsong. Our mockingbirds are back in numbers! I know they live 7-8 years or so and I like to think many of them enjoy coming back ‘home’ to us!
ReplyDeleteOh my, what wonderful close-ups! I have never seen a real one yet, but hope to this summer. I shall use your pictures for identification!
ReplyDeleteInteresting post. We inherited a purple martin apartment but a different type of swallow uses it.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteGreat series of photos of these Martins.
The color is beautiful.
This species does not occur here in the Netherlands.
Do you want to place my link, I can't.
Best regards, Irma
Added!
Deletegreat to see returning birds and get lovely images of them Annni
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. Yes it's a wonderful time of year when the swallows and martins arrive. More so when we consider the miles they have travelled to get back to the very same house thay bred in last year.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad we are all feeling a little more spring like. Thanks for the link up again.
I don't believe I have ever seen a purple martin. They are interesting birds. Have a great week.
ReplyDeletethe expression in the first two is priceless and number 8 is my favorite, showing the house they live in. I would like a blouse with these colors.. beautiful birds. I did not know they are in the swallow family
ReplyDeleteCharming slices of Purple Martin life ...they are so fun to watch. I love that they live and thrive in condos! I hate that starlings push other birds out .
ReplyDeleteWoW!! they are so beautiful. awesome close ups...so many pretty details!!!
ReplyDeleteawww ... no fair. Never seen one here in Westcentral Florida
ReplyDeleteGreat shots.
ReplyDeleteThanks for changing the link. I was not aware google change it. Nowadays it seem to put every link in you used a week before and it ignore what you do now. :( It is not fun :(
ReplyDeleteWell Anni although I can't link in, I am here to say that I have never seen a purple martin in person!! I really appreciate your magnificent shots...:)JP
ReplyDelete