Pics and Bits and Pieces...


Before I post photos of a few birds seen recently, I wanted to record an update on the rebuilding of the refuge in Port Aransas after Hurricane Harvey! It's coming along...and, as always, I can't wait for it to reopen for us!! Unlike before the damage, this new project will have a covered viewing area. [maybe more?]



- - -


I enjoy the Skimmer's unique way of feeding along the coastline!  They fly low along the surface of the water, slicing through the water with their lower mandible.  They feed by touch, and the bill snaps shut when prey is felt.


BLACK SKIMMERS
photos taken: NAS [naval air station]
habitat map: Skimmer




LESSER SCAUP
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds
habitat map: Scaup



BELTED KINGFISHER
photos taken: Mustang HIghway
habitat map: Kingfisher
This is a male Belted Kingfisher... The female is actually more colorful than the male with a chestnut colored band across the belly that the male lacks.



GREEN WINGED TEAL
photos taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Teal
The Green Teal tolerates cold more than any other teal...hence, they are seen farther north than others.



The following duck, the Wigeon, I've never seen walking on the shallow surface of land....that was a 'first'.  But, I read through a Google Search, it's quite common!!!


AMERICAN WIGEON
photos taken: NAS [Naval Air Station]
habitat map: Wigeon
Also known as the "Baldpate" by many hunters, because of its white forehead and crown.  The American Wigeon spends a great deal of time foraging on land, eating young plant shoots and seeds.  They are also much more likely than most dabbling ducks to be found in deep water, where they sometimes harass other duck species and steal their food.

Bits and pieces of these species courtesy of South Dakota Habitat Maps.







For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

16 comments:

  1. Embarrassed to be first to link my one measly bird ... (it is one of my favs though)....didn’t get many pics last week, because...company. Thanks for doing this and good news about Port A. I will be back to read more carefully later ...on the way out the door, was just waiting for this link to come up. ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-- to think that we got out of town only a couple of days before the hurricane hit. It is great to see the progress being made at the refuge. It looks to be a great structure for viewing the birds-- with shade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to hear about the rebuilding process. I know it takes years to come many things even started! Love your photos...especially the Kingfisher. We hear one when we hike more often than see it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You saw a good variety of birds. It will be nice when the refuge is finished. It will give a nice view point to taking more wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice group of birds you got...all the kingfishers I see will barely sit still for two seconds...and that if they are far away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are so special, and I love all of them! Great image of the Skimmer skimming for food! It is so sharp and awesome. And the one with several skimmers is so cute! The Scaups and Green winged Teal are so cool looking, I have never seen one. But maybe this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad things are getting back to normal after the hurricane. Lovely set of shots

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this set of photos and the Skimmer is an amazing looking bird. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pleased to see your getting ship shape Anni. It's been a long job but now at last your getting stuff back with a few extras thrown in. Your Skimmer sure is an an amazing bird with that unique way of feeding, a method we almost see in terns and swallows. Good to see both your teal and Wigeon, just slightly different to our own European versions.

    Thanks for the link-up today. Can I borrow Bud and his air gun for a week or so?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing birds - those Skimmers!
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful bird photos. And that walkway looks like it will be great when it's finished. I like your blog header image, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back again to look more carefully at your wonderful birds! The skimmers are my favorites, I love that bird. I can’t wait to read your first post when the refuge at Port A is finally reopened! But I know you find great birds in other places in your birding Paradise! Thanks for sharing all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the mystical photo of the green wing teal catches my attention the most. and the skimming bird at the beginninig is awesome. i have seen flocks of these on the beaches but did not know what they were or how they eat. so glad they are rebuilding

    ReplyDelete
  14. your pieces are better than most folks' chunks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, I believe I too would enjoy watching those skimmers!! I've watched pelicans for hours just swoop and scoop. Your photos are beyond gorgeous, Anni...that Kingfisher is so handsome!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great water birds! And thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents