A while back, I drove through the foggy mist to the islands with the intent of stopping at an area known as Mollie Beattie Community Reserve [Packery Flats], with 1000 acres of mud flats and tidal pools protected for wildlife. It's on Padre Island, not far from the JFK causeway, between the channel residential area and the beach highway access roads. The flats were muddied by the weather patterns that have frequented our part of the world, and it was foggy...tricky walking without getting my feet stuck. The tranquil views of the flats can be seen here, on my personal blog, Hootin' Anni's. After making the rounds on the accessible sections, I left and then went to Packery Channel Jetty and walked the beach. Besides gulls, egrets, sanderlings, dunlins, and plovers, here's a bit of what I saw that morning:
...At Packery Flats
Tho there are two very similar yellowlegs, one lesser and the other greater, it can be difficult to decipher which is which if they're foraging alone. Once you've seen the two, lesser and greater, it becomes easier to distinguish the differences - manily the length of the legs.


GREATER YELLOWLEGS
photos taken: Packery Flats
habitat map: Yellowlegs


LITTLE BLUE HERON
photos taken: Packery Flats
habitat map: Heron
Packery Channel and Jetty
Once I left the flats I drove a short time to turn off the highway to walk the channel jetty and beach at Packery Channel. Here again, egrets, herons, gulls, terns, grackles, brown pelicans kept me 'entertained'. And one in particular that I watched for quite a while from the jetty. An immature Reddish Egret was practicing his newly-learned skills and the unique reddish egret maneuver, 'dancing' and canopying, [aka canopy feeding] while foraging for tasty tidbits!! I went bonkers on the camera's shutter...it was so fun to watch. Brace yourself, ahead - a LOT of this Egret....











REDDISH EGRET and SNOWY EGRET
photos taken: Packery Channel Zahn Beach Access
habitat maps: R Egret and S Egret
...walking back to the car, I spotted a couple of Blue Herons on the dunes:


GREAT BLUE HERON
photos taken: Packery Channel
habitat map: Heron
That day the dense sea fog never lifted out of the area....well into the night and following morning before it 'washed' out and remained overcast and warm.
and paste into your blog post:

Great series of photos. I love seeing all of these birds.
ReplyDeleteThose photos of the herons and egret are spectacular! The dance moves of the Reddish Egret are spellbinding. Love your little header owl too!
ReplyDeleteI've never seen the Reddish Egret but he sure is a 'ham'! What great photos. We're seeing some interesting birds on our hikes...with breeding plumage. It's a great time of year to bird watch! Enjoy your afternoon! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteOf course your Reddish Egret photos are my favorite. He looks just a bit crazy with that wild hairdo, likely because he is still very young. So fascinating to watch this dance. I have never seen one, nor a Yellowlegs. Though there are Yellowlegs here from time to time.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, looks like my kind of outing. I have hopes to take a birding trip to Texas one day. I love the Reddish Egret and Snowy Egret together. Great birds and sightings. Thanks for hosting. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thanks also for the nice comment on my blog.
ReplyDeleteLove love love the way you caught every step of the Reddish Egret’s crazy dance. They are so fun to watch and I would never ever get tired of seeing your great pictures. (Of him and all the other birds too.) Thanks for all!
ReplyDeleteoooh those yellow legs with the reflection, makes them look twice as long - how do they hold those big boys up??!!
ReplyDeletethe herons are gorgeous, they are one of my favorites. you had a great outing, lots to see and photograph!!
Well done! The egrets are my favorites.
ReplyDeleteYou captured the movements of the Heron and Egret well Anni
ReplyDeleteWow !! I love all these beautiful birds !
ReplyDeleteGreat photos !
Happy weekend !
I don't know which are my favorites...love them all. May be that I am partial the reddish egret shots, though. But then I love the blue herons, too. and the little blue...
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful set of photos. I wish we lived within easy distance of water of some kind. We generally get just the common garden birds nearby. Have a good week Diane
ReplyDeleteI went through the egret 3 times. I kid you KNOT... I love every single shot of these, amazing amazing and amazing.... he is beautiful. I prefer the way they look immature over the white.. the wing action gets standing ovation from me
ReplyDeleteMy favorite of this series is the Reddish Egret, a bird I never see here.
ReplyDeleteThe Tennessee River floodwaters are receding. I imagine the cleanup and repair is going to be a massive undertaking. We will probably go back to the area next week to check on the Eagle's nest at Shiloh - most of the park grounds were above the high-water mark, and all the roads should be open by then. (Shiloh Park is only a few miles downstream of Pickwick Dam)
Have a wonderful week!
ohhhhhhhhhh some lovely shots
ReplyDeleteHello Anni. Wonderful birds! The Reddish Egret looks fantastic.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are so warming as I sit watching what's left of the 12" snow we recently had melt. (I tried to add my link, Anni, but for whatever reason, it wouldn't work...:(. No biggie...more Eagle info on local activities)...:)JP
ReplyDeletedeleted [no problem]
ReplyDeleteHi Anni.Sorry I missed the link up.I had nothing to add after a week of nothingness.Good to catch up now especially to see the Reddish Egret pics.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots! I've been having a blast birding in Florida this month. Also seeing lots of herons of all kinds. I love your old-fashioned photo border. Thanks for visiting!
ReplyDelete