On another outing, on the islands, at the beach, the terns were gathered in large groups in the sun...
My favorite of all terns seen here along the Gulf Coast as they pass thru is the:




BLACK TERN
photos taken: Magee Beach
habitat map: Tern
The Starling is an 'introduced' bird in USA. Some view them as a hindrance, I love to see them...they are beautiful!!


EUROPEAN STARLING [immature]
photos taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Starling
Most birding trips total about 60 miles round trip [96.5606 km]. I always enjoy the drive to and from, the scenery and the parks. During Spring and Fall Migration, the trip total can go as far as 200 miles [321.869 km] round trip, depending on the 'near-by hotspot reports' in the neighboring counties along the Coastal Bend. But when I leave the last and pack up the car, I usually put the camera, binoculars, scopes in the trunk in case I stop at the store for groceries on the way home. After one trip a few weeks back, I made my last turn off the freeway, nearing our subdivision, and what is up on a power pole just on the side of the road? Of course!! A beautiful specimen of a hawk!!! Lighting was perfect...it was feeding on its kill, and there was a goodly chance of getting a great photo since it wasn't about to leave soon. I stopped, made a U turn, parked in a vacant parking lot, got out and retrieved my camera and went snap happy on the shutter button. I was close enough to the hawk, I didn't need to use a zoom lens!!!




HARRIS'S HAWK
photos taken: Neighborhood
habitat map: Hawk
and paste into your blog post:

What gorgeous photos of the hawk! But couldn't he eat a frog or a snake or something else? heeheehee Just kidding of course! He is amazing! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteReally dramatic images of the hawk, and so close to home! It's been quite a while since I got a good look at a Black Tern (before taking up photography). I did see them flying by when boating on a lake in Wisconsin with a Spanish exchange student at the helm and putting out a good wake! No camera in that bow spray!
ReplyDeleteWow, these photos are amazing! You were so close! And a Black Tern, I never knew there was one! This is an extra special post for me today! Hmmm, he is kind of the Darth Vader of Terns. We saw a Sandhill Crane the other day!
ReplyDeleteStaring at your starling! Great hawk shot!
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni! The Harris's Hawk is a beauty! I love the terns, great bird sightings and photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a great day and weekend!
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous hawk!!!! He is so handsome!
ReplyDeleteGreat shots, as usual. The hawk is awesome!
ReplyDeleteGreat pics today Anni. The shots of the Harris Hawk are superb, as are the close-ups of Black Terms. You certainly put in a lot of miles for your birds.
ReplyDeleteAnni that header shot is just amazing, love it. The Photos of the Harris Hawk are amazing well done. I have never seen a Black Tern so something very new for me. Thnaks for sharing. Take care Diane
ReplyDeleteThanks for introducing me to a new bird - I did not know there were Black Terns. Looking at the habitat map, I see I might have a chance to see one during their migration.
ReplyDeleteHope you are having a great day!
We have noticed all our birds and squirrels are gone. for about 3 weeks now. yesterday Bob yelled from the pool and I went to the door. Sitting up on the power line was the biggest hawk we have ever seen. not like our other hawks, he looked much like this one. I am thinking he is the culprit.. those black terns are gorgeous....
ReplyDeleteI've never seen a black tern...need to spend more time on the water
ReplyDeleteWow - amazing shots of the hawk!
ReplyDeleteYour captures of the black tern are wonderful Anni!! Such beautiful coloring...:)jp
ReplyDelete