Along the Gulf Coast


This post was initially supposed to be published a couple weeks ago, but other bird outing blogs prevented me from posting before now. 

On my personal blog, Hootin' Anni's, I shared a day at the Hummingbird Festival in Rockport Texas, Thousands of migrant hummers were seen....nectar feeders were strategically placed around the area, and the birds were in a frenzied feeding mode. Seen HERE. I drove to many areas in the two town radius, and was truly amazed to see so many numbers of migrants stopping over to replenish their body weight before crossing the Gulf of Mexico on their way south for the winter!! Here I share another area while I watched some of their activity.  There are two 'throated humingbirds' that are nearly identical, and the 2nd photo is/was possibly a black-chinned 'cause his throat was more a purple coloration instead of the 'ruby' throat as seen in the 1st image.  But before I could get a better photo to show the chin differences, the 2nd one flew off into a nearby tree to not show itself for me again.  So, truly, even tho they're east west counterparts, their habitat maps show they intersect in Texas....it remains unknown.



RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
BLACK CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD
photos taken:  Linda Castro Sanctuary
habitat map:  Hummingbird [ruby] - [black chinned]

Also seen at the same pond were:


LEAST GREBE
photo taken:  Linda Castro Sanctuary
habitat map:  Grebe


GREAT EGRET
photo taken:  Linda Castro Sanctuary
habitat map:  Egret

Then, a few days later on my morning walk at Oso Bay  Wetlands, I was surprised to see a pair of storks ....


WOOD STORKS
photos taken:  Oso Bay Wetlands
habitat map:  Stork




Participant Listing Before Closing on Thursday
LINKS below:

Lea: Morning Dove
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Lavender Dreams
Phil in UK
Eileen
Cecilia Upchurch
David Gascoigne
Linda: Virginia USA
Christina: Sweeden
Lea: Killdeer
Shiju Sugunan

For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

13 comments:

  1. Great photos! I especially like the Storks.
    My feeders are still up, but I have not seen any Hummingbirds since the last of September.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ruby-throats are just starting to move through our south Florida neighborhood-- a few will stay here for the winter. In New Mexico we had the Black-chinned. When they fly their wings make a chirping sound like a cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another very special post. Your first hummer picture is ART! Look at that throat and the tiny feet behind! It is a truly amazing picture, and should be on the front of a magazine. The great Egret in flight is beautiful, and not easy to capture. and how rare to see a stork in Blogland, they are so big and impressive. this is the cutest little grebe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say Anni that while I envy the number of hummers you might see in Texas, I would not relish the thought of IDing them, especially in autumn. An interesting observation from Kenneth.

    Cheers for the link-up today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Anni! Some day I would love to go birding in Texas. You have such great bird sightings there. I love the hummers and the Wood Storks. I left my hummingbird feeder up just in case there is a lone straggler coming through. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those hummingbirds have an arduous journey ahead of them. i wish them well and hope they may live to return next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, Anni your photos are stunning. Thank you so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent photos! The great egret is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that ruby colored throat is AMAZING! I love Storks almost as much as I love pelicans, same type bird, so ugly they are beautiful.... every time I go down a certain street, there is always a flock of Storks like these. I have seen them numerous times. no camera. then I decided to just drive there with the camera. they were GONE... the egrets are beautiful and elegant

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to get just one good shot of hummer...I love these. And the Wood Stork...I would like to even just see one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful captures and beautiful place to take photos!☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first hummingbird is so cute. I'll be seeing a lot of these birds soon.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents