Autumn Birds this week...


We've had a couple of Autumn Cold Fronts move in to the area...finally! Tho, it's not "COLD" for most living in the north; but, for those that live in the southern areas of USA... High 50s at night, and low to upper 70s during the day for high temps. A perfect time for me. A few scattered showers now and then, crisp air, I couldn't ask for better days. The birding is slow, a small number of migrants are moving in, but for now, the migrants are also scattered like the rain showers. What I've seen in the past week are mostly ducks and white pelicans taking residence for the winter months. Along the Mustang Island highway, I spotted a gorgeous Peregrine Falcon...the first of many, I hope, for the season...


PEREGRINE FALCON
photos taken: Island Highway
habitat map: Falcon


...then, at Paradise Pond in Port Aransas, I sighted in on this. i think the whole time I watched it it never did show its feet.



WILSON'S SNIPE
photos taken: Paradise Pond
habitat map: Snipe


While walking the trail at the park in Calallen Texas, a couple of these beauties flitted by me and landed on a bare tree stump....


SCISSORTAIL[ED] FLYCATCHER
photo taken:  Bazemore Park
habitat map:  Flycatcher

Visiting another small park downtown, I saw this bird I haven't seen in some time.  It was a nice change from house sparrows...


LARK SPARROW
photo taken:  Blucher Park
habitat map:  Sparrow

At Labonte Park, along the river bank, this bird greeted me with its [how it got named] unmistakable call....


GREAT KISKADEE
photo taken:  Labonte Park
habitat map:  Kiskadee

Another sunny morning, I walked the beach....


AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER[S]
photo taken:  Gulf of Mexico Beach
habitat map:  Oystercatcher

The participants for this week are as follows:

Lea's Menagerie
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Phil UK
Lavender Dreams
Travel with Birds
Linda in Virginia
Christina [Sweeden]
Coloring Outside the Lines



For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

9 comments:

  1. The Peregrine is magnificent! We rarely see them inland except for a few passing through on migration. That Kiskadee is very imposing. I miss my Lark Sparrows back in Illinois. Nice poses on the Oystercatchers too! Great selections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni, wonderful collection of birds. I love the Peregrine Falcon, great captures. It is colder here now, 38° this morning. I have more critter today than birds, I will link up next week. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are EXCELLENT! I am thinking that now is an excellent time for birding, because of the fall migration. But Texas must be great for birds all year round. My favorites are the falcon and snipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice when the temps are cooler. We're having better weather here too. I don't think I've ever seen the Kiskadee! How beautiful he is! He's striking! You've had a great week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so encouraging to see the way that Peregrine Falcons have rebounded from the dark days of organochlorine pesticides. They are magnificent in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the falcon is stunning, all the details he has are so beautiful. love the kiskadee also. If I could special order weather, it would what you are having right now. waiting for ours to do that to. we have had 2 days with no AC, but still waking up to 70's to 86. but cooler than it has been and so welcome. we did turn AC on for 2 hours last night and then back off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving that Peregrine Falcon Anni. I rarely see them as well as your pictures show. Such detail - a magnificent specimen. The Kiskadee is a stunner too. Our temperatures are dropping too, so much that I'm expecting the first frost very soon. Enjoy your week Anni, and thanks for the link-up as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would call this a jackpot Oh, Anni, I would love the see a Peregrine Falcon! He is so, so handsome. And the other birds are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents