It was grand seeing the three migrant birds this week! Along with regular, permanent Texas residents of course. I never tire of seeing the same species over and over again. I just like photographing them and perhaps comparing the plumage from one season to the next. I remember when I began my birding 'fetish' [hobby] and learning all the hundreds of TEXAS birds...thinking I knew it all in just over three months. Lo and behold, the breeding plumages threw me on a kilter, and I had to re-learn. But, what a good challenge it's been. This week, here are some I took pictures of for this post:

AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER [winter plumage]
photo taken: Corpus Christi Botanical Gardens
habitat map: Plover

BLACK THROATED GREEN WARBLER
photo taken: Oso Bay Wetlands
habitat map: Warbler

NORTHERN CARDINAL
photo taken: Blucher Park
habitat map: Cardinal

VERMILLION FLYCATCHER [immature or female?]
photo taken: Packery Channel Park
habitat map: Flycatcher

CRESTED CARACARA [immature ...notice the pink instead of orange on adult]
photo taken: Mustang Island Highway
habitat map: Caracara

VERMILION FLYCATCHER [adult male]
photo taken: Botanical Gardens
habitat map: Flycatcher

ANHINGA
photo taken: Caribbean Drive Ponds
habitat map: Anhinga

Texas State Bird NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Mockingbird
PS...in America, each of the 50 states have a state bird....what is your state bird?
These are those that participated this week:
Hootin' Anni
Lea's Menagerie
Phil UK
Lavender Dreams
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Eileen
Travel with Birds
Orchid
Christina, Sweeden
A Quiet Corner
and paste into your blog post:

Florida has the Mockingbird and there are lots of them here! I saw some a big flock of birds migrating yesterday but can't tell what they are. I guess I'll have to show them on my blog next week and ask for help. Love those beautiful small colorful birds! It's a wonderful time of year to live in the South! Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteOur state bird is the Cardinal, which you have here! Your Anhinga photo is stunning. A stunning sunning photo, ha ha! The Green Warbler has such intense color! I like comparing the two flycatchers.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, I just love the beautiful Vermilion Flycatcher. The Plover and Crested Caracara are favorites too. Beautiful photos. Thanks for hosting. Happy weekend to you!
ReplyDeleteThe mockingbird is very popular-- besides Texas and Florida, also Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas claim it as theirs. If this link works it will show images all 50 State Birds https://statesymbolsusa.org/categories/bird
ReplyDeleteCertainly in South Texas you have a wide variety of species, and as you point out it is wise not to become complacent about ID.
ReplyDeleteI have 3 that tie for favorite today... Warbler, Flycatcher, Mockingbird. they are all really beautiful, but the tiny birds appeal to me most of all...
ReplyDeleteI like your theory about birding Anni. I like the old saying that we learn something new every day. It is certainly true about birding. Anyone who says they know all there is to know about birding is kidding themselves big time and will also get found out.
ReplyDeleteGreat pixs today, and thanks for the link.
These are real beauties...I love seeing what you post here. Indiana's state bird is the Northern Cardinal, and Tennessee's is the Mockingbird.
ReplyDeleteWell, as always, your photos, whether of Winter plumage or not, are beyond awesome, Anni!! The state bird for CT is the American Robin, and they love my yard (lots of big, fat, juicy night crawlers)!!!...:)jp
ReplyDelete