The Last of October....


We here in South Coastal Texas had a massive cold front move in in the middle of the week. Temps went from 87 degrees [F] ...30.56 [C] to within three hours it was a whopping 56 degrees. We woke up to 44 by morning. After all the months of 100 degrees plus, day in and day out, this was a god send!!! I don't know if the wintering birds and local feathered residents are enjoying it as much as I am, but they seem to be a bit more active. Here are just some of the birds seen this week....


LONG BILLED CURLEW
photo taken:  Indian Point Park
habitat map:  Curlew


The Impaler!
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
photo taken:  Sunset Lakes Neighborhood
habitat map:  Shrike


BELTED KINGFISHER
photo taken:  Indian Point Park
habitat map:  Kingfisher


AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN [they're returning for the winter!]
photo taken:  Hans Suter Refuge
habitat map:  Pelican


MALLARD [female] -corrected ID *thanks David
photo taken:  Port Aransas Texas
habitat map:  Duck


GREAT EGRET[s]
photo taken:  Leonabelle Refuge
habitat map:  Egret


OSPREY [with catch of the day]
photo taken:  Mustang Island Highway
habitat map:  Osprey



Participating this week were:

Lea: White Pelican
David Gascoigne
Linda aka Crafty Gardener
Lavender Dreams
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Christina, Sweden
Nature Footstep Photo Art
Lois, Tallahassee
Lea: Great Blue Heron
Phil UK
Shiju Sugunan



For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

14 comments:

  1. Great photos! I especially enjoy photos of birds I don't see here, like the Loggerhead Shrike. The Ospreys I have seen at Pickwick Lake either did not nest this year or built a new nest somewhere else.
    On Thursday I saw a Common Loon at a lake in Tupelo. I got only one clear photo. When I went back later in the afternoon to try for another photo, it was gone! On its way to the Gulf Coast I guess.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series of pictures. I am quite sure the birds are enjoying the cooler temperature. I am not convinced that the duck with the blue speculum is a Blue-winged Teal. It looks like a female Mallard to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction....you keep me on my toes!

      Delete
  3. Love the curlew and pelican photos, not seen around here. The osprey in our area have left for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those crazy legs on the Egrets! Love the pose of the Osprey too! You've had a good month...I have too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That curlew is a very nice find! So far I have not seen one of my Florida shrikes impale any prey, although I did find them stuck to barbed wire as a kid back in New Jersey. The cold front stalled out halfway down the Florida peninsula so we had another very hot day-- broke the record yesterday. Love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! My favorite are the Curlew and Pelican. We had a cold front in the night as well. It went from the 70's to the 30's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just love the name Curlew for a bird??? Wonderful images....I love to see pelicans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great collection of birds. Loved to see the shrike and pelicans.I have not seen any shrike this year. :( And pelicans are cool birds that we don´t have in Sweden.
    Have a nice week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. there are three that tie for first place for me, the curlew, femail mallard and great egrets

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those differences in temperature are quite amazing in such a small time. It would be great to witness a shrike impaling prey as it's something I've never seen. Love that curlew picture. Thanks for the link up this weekend Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous photos as always Anni! I love how you caught that egret with its wings spread like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful bird photos. The details are so sharp. My favorites are the white egrets and white pelicans.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents